• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Lighting new indoor enclosure

Mark1

Young Bun
Those of that you have read my thread in the bonding section will know that we are in the last stages of bonding our pair and they have a really nice large bunny shed with large run to go in. BUT, now they have been living in our entrance hallway for a few days whilst bonding, we cannot bear to put them out in the cold never mind be parted from them. It's official, they are to be house bunnies.

I will be building an enclosure under our stairs, 6ft x 3ft and in the evenings they can have the run of the house. I am concerned it may be on the dull side though, there is no direct window light under the stairs although there is a window each end of this area. It certainly is not dark but is what I would consider dull. Do you think I should light this area on duller days or will they be ok?

In the summer they will be moved to the summer resort bunny shed.

Hello! Unfortunately, the space is not large enough to keep your bunnies in for the majority of their day. Could you let them have permanent access to the hallway too?

Unfortunately not. I hear what you're saying and we would like a larger space for them but, it is several times the size of the hutch we rescued them both from plus it's clean, dry and warm. Plus they will be roaming when ever we are in.

Last edited:
If they are roaming when you are in, can you not permanently bunny proof an area for them?

Our cat may have other ideas.....Although he pays them zero attention when they are out and supervised, I would / could not leave them out together. We'll see how it goes, may be we can bunny a proof another room so they get out more unsupervised. We do seem to have the two laziest bunnies though, other than when they come out for a run round the house, they just cuddle and sleep.

Bunny's are most active at dusk and dawn while we are sleeping which is why during the day you may see them being lazy.

I'd look into either bunny proofing a room they can have to themselves.
Or look into Manor Pet Housing and Boyles Pet Housing. Both can do custom made indoor enclosures with a roof to help prevent your cat from bothering them.
They need at least 60sqft while you're not home, this may mean sacrificing part of the living room or similar.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Back