• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny won't let me pick her up!

Chantelle1708

Young Bun
Hi I have a nearly 5 months old doe, she's very attached to me and follows me around everywhere and lets me stroke her anywhere, even likes a belly rub however, she will still not let me pick her up!! She just runs away and thumps to tell me no just like if I am telling her to get out of a room :lol: she's a diva!! She isn't aggressive in the slightest, she's very docile.

Will she eventually let me pick her up or is it normal for a rabbit to never be picked up? It makes it somewhat difficult to show her as much attention as she wants. :(

Hi I have a nearly 5 months old doe, she's very attached to me and follows me around everywhere and lets me stroke her anywhere, even likes a belly rub however, she will still not let me pick her up!! She just runs away and thumps to tell me no just like if I am telling her to get out of a room :lol: she's a diva!! She isn't aggressive in the slightest, she's very docile.

Will she eventually let me pick her up or is it normal for a rabbit to never be picked up? It makes it somewhat difficult to show her as much attention as she wants. :(

Very few Rabbits like being picked up. Rabbits in the wild would only be lifted off their feet by a predator who was going to eat them. Pet Rabbits still have a hard wired 'fear' response to being picked up. So your Doe may never really like being picked up and in general it is best to only do so to carry out essential health/cleanliness checks rather than just to give Bunny a cuddle. Sitting on the floor yourself and letting her come to you will help your bond and she may be more OK about you picking her up if you are sitting down with her, if you see what I mean.

If you need to pick her up to move her from A+B then she may feel safer in a Pet carrier than being carried.

Hi Chantelle :)

It's a good idea to get your rabbit accustomed to being picked up safely, as you will need on occasions to get her into a pet carrier or to medicate, clip nails and that sort of thing. Once you've shown her that you're no threat to her safety and that you can pick her up calmly but firmly, you may find it easier.

Rabbits are hard wired to run away as to them you are a prey species with great power, so they have to be careful!

Have a look here for some tips

http://www.therabbithouse.com/behaviour/problem-picking-rabbit-up.asp

It sounds like you have a very lovely rabbit to share you life with :love:

You may also find she is more easily picked up when she has been spayed. At 5 months old some does can be very "difficult". Make sure you know how to pick her up so she feels secure. I think there are examples on U Tube.

Back