• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Protecting sofas and skirting boards

sillyrabbit

Wise Old Thumper
I was just wondering if those with free range bunnies do anything to protect these?

I'm getting my home ready for my girl, and I've noticed that the skirting boards kind of come out from the wall more than in my previous homes and have more of an edge. I feel like she is going to eat them :lol: this is also my first time renting a furnished place. I've never protected stuff before because if she destroyed stuff it belonged to me, but I'm wondering if I should try and cover the sofa as it's my landlords :? It's not really an option to keep her away from the sofa as I'm living in a studio space

I don't but I know some people have had to. You could use puppy panels to keep bunny off areas which need protection, or make a large enclosure out of them. In the housing sticky I remember seeing little picket panels stuck over skirting but the link might be broken now photobucket broke everything!

My girl is like an acrobat, she wouldn't stay on one side of a puppy panel, enclosures don't really work for her either. She is part wild and needs quite a lot of space. I'm having a room separator made to section off the 'living room' area of my place for her, so she will only have access to that side of the place when I'm out and at night. There jus won't be enough room on the other side of that divider for the sofa, so it will have to stay on her side. I'm half tempted to just think screw it and replace the sofa when I leave :lol:

Ahhh thanks, I will check out the skirting board idea :wave: those I definitely do not want to have to replace when I leave :lol:

Ah yes, a part wildie and a pen do not go together :shock::lol: you could try covering the sofa with shower curtains and material such old curtains etc, might save it if you tuck them underneath too?

Not sure how to protect the whole sofa, but the most enticing parts might be the edges of the 'legs' so if you could cover those by wrapping fleece cuts (from the craft section of a store) around the legs, that would help. And make sure she can't go underneath the sofa and chew it up from the inside out.

The cubes aka grids that you make C&C cages with are good for protecting the skirting boards (might need to overlap them). Not sure if this is possible to protect the boards all over the whole cottage with these though.

Thankfully the girls don't bother with the sofa and we don't really care about the skirting boards.

I'd say throwing old sheets over it and tucking them under if possible may help protect the sofa.
The skirting boards - not too sure really. All depends if they're a 90deg angle or if they've got a fancy pattern edge to them.

B&Q sell skirting board edges - I'll see if I can find what I mean.

ETA: You've got two kinds but may be a bit expensive to do.

http://www.google.co.uk/shopping/pr...ved=0ahUKEwi73eG2nIbXAhXBvRQKHZeTDksQqA0IGigB

https://www.wmboyle.co.uk/product/s...fqnU5_2MJ7gqKjubGarrp_KNmEe-_owoaAm2DEALw_wcB

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Oh a half wildie. Lovely. Hmm I relied on puppy panels to keep previous rabbits off the skirting. I put cardboard over the skirting and puppy panels over the cardboard. They had a very large area so I had to use breeze blocks to keep the puppy pen from moving around too much. Not too beautiful but effective.

As for the sofa my two made a very neat hole in it and spent a lot of time chillin' inside the sofa! I would be inclined to surrender the sofa to the rabbit and to replace when you leave. Luckily the furniture was mine, I just (just) had to protect the landlords skirting boards.

With the sofa, probably cheaper to replace on leaving! Might be worth organising that with your landlord in advance (as a 'worst case scenario', don't word it as if it's bound to happen!).

I bet you're soooo excited at the prospect of getting her back . My first bunnies chewed skirtings & sofa but my subsequent bunnies (5 of them) have left them well alone (they have stripped paint from plasterboard though - they are not angels:lol:)

My girl is like an acrobat, she wouldn't stay on one side of a puppy panel, enclosures don't really work for her either. She is part wild and needs quite a lot of space. I'm having a room separator made to section off the 'living room' area of my place for her, so she will only have access to that side of the place when I'm out and at night. There jus won't be enough room on the other side of that divider for the sofa, so it will have to stay on her side. I'm half tempted to just think screw it and replace the sofa when I leave :lol:

Ahhh thanks, I will check out the skirting board idea :wave: those I definitely do not want to have to replace when I leave :lol:

Very difficult! I know someone who has a flying bun, and ... ahem .. I think it's a challenging proposal!

Parsnipbun has wildies, and even (I believe) in the house. You could PM her and ask advice? :)

Doughnut had a nibble of my sofa when it was new but that was about it. Not really into skirting boards but loves the corners of any wall where she can get to the lining paper and rip it off, so had to put plastic corners on my walls stuck with blutak! Also got clear Perspex on some areas where she's managed to find a bit to tug at and to keep her from behind the sofa. She used to love running behind there and pulling the lining paper off the wall behind it.

Doughnut had a nibble of my sofa when it was new but that was about it. Not really into skirting boards but loves the corners of any wall where she can get to the lining paper and rip it off, so had to put plastic corners on my walls stuck with blutak! Also got clear Perspex on some areas where she's managed to find a bit to tug at and to keep her from behind the sofa. She used to love running behind there and pulling the lining paper off the wall behind it.

What a very naughty Calendar Bun! :)

I know, big chunks too. I heard little paws behind me then ripping!

She also worked out how to pull the Perspex away from the wall then run round and rip the paper. If I don't have it wedged tightly to the nest of tables she gets to the paper. She's surprisingly strong for a little one and yes naughty too. I've had to paint it all again with no lining paper otherwise I have a bare wall showing at the bottom.

Thanks for the replies, and sorry it took me so long to say thanks!

I just ended up telling my landlord I will replace the sofa if it gets damaged by either of my pets and it was fine, I said it probably won't be and I was only mentioning because I was worried incase it did happen, but she was like it's just a sofa don't worry about it. I'm going to try and wedge some sort of tube setup behind it, so at least she won't be able to chew the bottom of it from the back where I can't see her. I got a bunch of blankets from the thrift store to cover it with incase she decides to dig or pee on it, and I'm going to make sure there is not even the tiniest gap underneath for her to stick her little head under

I'm gonna buy my own coffee table that she can destroy if she wants, and put the landlords in the loft

Skirting boards I still haven't decided. I might look and see if there are any chewing deterants that are safe for bunnies that I can apply to them

I need to try and find a dog crate that will fit under my really awkwardly shaped desk! I want to maximize her empty floor space for running and also not give her an additional jumping platform :lol: I feel bad looking at the smaller sized one than she had in her old bedroom, but then I'm like she is never even going to be shut in it so what does it matter, it just needs to hold a litter tray and hay rack. I'm leaving the country in six months and probably won't even take the dog crate with me so I don't know why I'm stressing over it, yet I've gone to the pet store about five different times to just stare at dog crates :lol:

I don't mind her going under the desk really, there isn't anything under there at all :D I just wanted to put her dog crate base under there so that it's out of the way and she has more floor space in the rest of her area to run around

I've gone from a house where she had her own fairly big bedroom to a studio space type cabin, and when she gets here she won't be allowed to play outside anymore, so I'm really trying to think of how I can use the space to its maximum potential for her

Back