Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Protecting sofas and skirting boards

Wise Old Thumper

Default Protecting sofas and skirting boards

I was just wondering if those with free range bunnies do anything to protect these?

I'm getting my home ready for my girl, and I've noticed that the skirting boards kind of come out from the wall more than in my previous homes and have more of an edge. I feel like she is going to eat them this is also my first time renting a furnished place. I've never protected stuff before because if she destroyed stuff it belonged to me, but I'm wondering if I should try and cover the sofa as it's my landlords It's not really an option to keep her away from the sofa as I'm living in a studio space

I don't but I know some people have had to. You could use puppy panels to keep bunny off areas which need protection, or make a large enclosure out of them. In the housing sticky I remember seeing little picket panels stuck over skirting but the link might be broken now photobucket broke everything!

Binky free at the bridge Boots, you will never be forgotten xxxx
    IF YOU NEED HELP WITH ANYTHING PLEASE SEND ME A PM OR ANY OF THE OTHER FORUM BUDDIES

Wise Old Thumper

My girl is like an acrobat, she wouldn't stay on one side of a puppy panel, enclosures don't really work for her either. She is part wild and needs quite a lot of space. I'm having a room separator made to section off the 'living room' area of my place for her, so she will only have access to that side of the place when I'm out and at night. There jus won't be enough room on the other side of that divider for the sofa, so it will have to stay on her side. I'm half tempted to just think screw it and replace the sofa when I leave

Ahhh thanks, I will check out the skirting board idea those I definitely do not want to have to replace when I leave

Ah yes, a part wildie and a pen do not go together you could try covering the sofa with shower curtains and material such old curtains etc, might save it if you tuck them underneath too?

Binky free at the bridge Boots, you will never be forgotten xxxx
    IF YOU NEED HELP WITH ANYTHING PLEASE SEND ME A PM OR ANY OF THE OTHER FORUM BUDDIES

Not sure how to protect the whole sofa, but the most enticing parts might be the edges of the 'legs' so if you could cover those by wrapping fleece cuts (from the craft section of a store) around the legs, that would help. And make sure she can't go underneath the sofa and chew it up from the inside out.

The cubes aka grids that you make C&C cages with are good for protecting the skirting boards (might need to overlap them). Not sure if this is possible to protect the boards all over the whole cottage with these though.

Thankfully the girls don't bother with the sofa and we don't really care about the skirting boards.

I'd say throwing old sheets over it and tucking them under if possible may help protect the sofa.
    The skirting boards - not too sure really. All depends if they're a 90deg angle or if they've got a fancy pattern edge to them.

B&Q sell skirting board edges - I'll see if I can find what I mean.

ETA: You've got two kinds but may be a bit expensive to do.

http://www.google.co.uk/shopping/pro...eTDksQqA0IGigB

https://www.wmboyle.co.uk/product/sx...oaAm2DEALw_wcB

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by daphnephoebe; 23-10-2017 at 08:14 AM.

Oh a half wildie. Lovely. Hmm I relied on puppy panels to keep previous rabbits off the skirting. I put cardboard over the skirting and puppy panels over the cardboard. They had a very large area so I had to use breeze blocks to keep the puppy pen from moving around too much. Not too beautiful but effective.

As for the sofa my two made a very neat hole in it and spent a lot of time chillin' inside the sofa! I would be inclined to surrender the sofa to the rabbit and to replace when you leave. Luckily the furniture was mine, I just (just) had to protect the landlords skirting boards.
    [IMG][/IMG]

With the sofa, probably cheaper to replace on leaving! Might be worth organising that with your landlord in advance (as a 'worst case scenario', don't word it as if it's bound to happen!).
    The geeky one...

Often available for bunny runs: PM for details.

I bet you're soooo excited at the prospect of getting her back . My first bunnies chewed skirtings & sofa but my subsequent bunnies (5 of them) have left them well alone (they have stripped paint from plasterboard though - they are not angels)

Quote Originally Posted by sillyrabbit View Post
    My girl is like an acrobat, she wouldn't stay on one side of a puppy panel, enclosures don't really work for her either. She is part wild and needs quite a lot of space. I'm having a room separator made to section off the 'living room' area of my place for her, so she will only have access to that side of the place when I'm out and at night. There jus won't be enough room on the other side of that divider for the sofa, so it will have to stay on her side. I'm half tempted to just think screw it and replace the sofa when I leave

Ahhh thanks, I will check out the skirting board idea those I definitely do not want to have to replace when I leave

Very difficult! I know someone who has a flying bun, and ... ahem .. I think it's a challenging proposal!

Parsnipbun has wildies, and even (I believe) in the house. You could PM her and ask advice?