• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hi

I’ve just joined the forum as looking for some advice on rabbits.

We are getting a pair of litter mates on the 11th November, they will be about 8 weeks old. Not sure what sex they are yet. We think one of them may be a boy.

Any advice you have would be great.

I have attached a photo of the two I think we’re getting.

Hello and welcome to the Forum. I can't see the photos. Someone will give you advice on that! I have always found a male/female pair works best.

I’ve just joined the forum as looking for some advice on rabbits.

We are getting a pair of litter mates on the 11th November, they will be about 8 weeks old. Not sure what sex they are yet. We think one of them may be a boy.

Any advice you have would be great.

I have attached a photo of the two I think we’re getting.

Hello

The link to the image is incomplete so the image is not showing. Take a look on here for some tips about posting photos

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...tos-directly-from-facebook-or-another-website

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?136183-Tutorial-How-to-Post-Photos

The Rabbit Welfare Association and Fund have lots of information about the care of Rabbits, including advice on housing, diet, neutering, vaccinating and general health issues

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/

Then you can always post specific questions in the various sub-forums on here and many of us will do our best to help :)

Thanks for the welcomes,

Let’s see if this link for the photo works.
22688461_10155626979000856_6258713359748282130_n.jpg

As we’ve been planning this for a number of weeks I have done lots of reading up. There are just a couple of things I would like to know, but can’t seem to find an answer to. For example, how far in advance of getting the rabbits should I get their hutch set up, if I have different sex siblings will I need to keep them apart, until the are neatured, as I only have one cage, will the rabbits be ok having free run of their hutch and run at night or would I be better shutting them in to the bedroom section (we have a cat) and finally when I’m cleaning out the hutch will the rabbits be ok in an old children’s play pen?

I look forward to your responses

Last edited:
The rabbits are absolutely gorgeous :love: You could set their hutch up just the day before you get the bunnies. We don't recommend wood shavings as it is usually too dusty, you will need a litter tray lined with newspaper and topped up with hay. This will encourage the rabbits to be litter trained. They will be able to stay together up until they are 12 weeks old and even if you get 2 boys they could start fighting at 14 weeks so thy would also have
to be separated as well. I personally would not leave them out at night as there could well be foxes around and the bunnies would be very scared. Will the hutch/run be on concrete or grass? I am not sure about the playpen as the bars might be too wide and allow the bunnies to squeeze through. You will have to judge for yourself about this.

Can you block the ramp off for the night-time using a piece of wood so they can have all the floorspace? Are the babies inside or outside?

Thanks Tonibun,

The hutch will be on concrete, although we are thinking of making a wooden floor as the concrete is a bit uneven and we do have a cover for it. The hutch also has a door so that the bunnies can be shut in the bed room bit over night. As for the playpen, it’s more of a travel cot with mesh sides. The rabbits will be outside once they are here, they current live in an unheated conservatory.

Also do I need to put hay all over the bottom of the hutch or just part of it so that they can play with balls in the other half?

Last edited:
A lot of us put lino down and put hay in their litter tray. If you put hay everywhere they will be tempted to toilet anywhere on it. They don't need the hay for warmth necessarily as they will be growing a thick coat. It's good you have a cover to keep out the rain and wind :thumb: Rabbits like tunnels to go through, not too interested in balls.

Back