• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Injury During Bonding - Do I Leave Them Together Overnight - Please Help!

Thanks for your message MM. Well, this makes me feel stupid :cry: :oops: To be honest with you I have read so many different things, and was going by this post on Rabbits United where a member made a long post about bonding and said she usually left that just 10-14 days after castrating. Because so many people had replied to it I assumed this was legitimate advice:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?55913-No-nonsence-approach-to-bunny-bonding-and-neutering

I'm sorry, I'd never do anything to put either of them in harms way :( About to put Beatrice back out in her hutch now.

No, no, no please do not feel stupid!!

There is so much advice floating around how could you possibly know?

Yes, put them both away, leave it three weeks or so, and try again :D

Loads and loads of hugs to you. this is very traumatic and distressing for you as much as the buns xx

(and I have just looked at your link ... :shock: Even my lovely vet wouldn't agree with that!)

Ah, I didn't realise they were so newly neutered.
Please don't ever feel stupid posting questions, problems, etc.
I think MightyMax is helping you, so you'll be fine!
I haven't opened the link yet - perhaps I shouldn't.

Ah, I didn't realise they were so newly neutered.
Please don't ever feel stupid posting questions, problems, etc.
I think MightyMax is helping you, so you'll be fine!
I haven't opened the link yet - perhaps I shouldn't.

No I didn't realise either! But I have *never* had a male/female bond to fail, so I thought there must be something going on here that isn't obvious to us Forumites :)

It's so very difficult with conflicting advice, I don't know how anyone manages. You may have noticed that I rarely (if ever?) ask for rabbit advice on the Forum. Now you know why ;)

Please don't feel stupid. There's no right or wrong way to do things and that is why there's so many different pieces of advice. Thinking positively, they seem to have got on fairly well and the grooming earlier was a very good sign. So the fact that there hasn't been any fighting bodes well for the rebond. Once hormones aren't a factor I'm sure it will all go fine.

Awww bless you & him & her. I'd reiterate what others said, you've not been stupid at all. There is a lot of different advice out there & a lot contradicts each other as you know. I was going to suggest the barrier could be jumpable (by a very keen rabbit) so I would do different rooms but as youre popping her back in the hutch its all good. I bet she'll enjoy the rest (as will you?) I hope it hasn't affected your confidence. Yes he was over zealous probably because of his hormones but I reckon when the time is right they should pair up fine. Healing vibes for that eye x

Please don't feel stupid at all. As other have said it's difficult with all the different info floating around out there.

He hasn't quite realised they're missing yet ;) and I'm sorry I didn't think to check with you when they were neutered xx

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Dont worry Beapig, almost all of us have had bonding mishaps. There is no such thing as a perfect Rabbit Care giver, despite what you may read online :lol:

Thank you everyone for your kind words of support :love: These are my first rabbits and we took them on at the same time as moving into a new house out of desperation because of Ham's situation (we couldn't leave him where he currently was). It really has been an added stress, but we couldn't turn a blind eye to Ham's previous situation and I have no regrets. Just overwhelmed by trying to balance work with renovating a new house and getting them set up and happy, which has been our number one priority.

I felt very guilty that Beatrice had to put up with such persistent unwanted attention all day. I did suspect that his behaviour wasn't normal. I really have read a lot lot lot of contradicting advice online, so it was hard to know what to go by. The link I attached earlier was from this forum and as so many people had replied saying things along the lines of 'good advice!', I thought almost a month was long enough. On the plus side, I think she does like him, because they were grooming and snuggling at times. She seems her usual self today so I'm not worried that he's hurt her, he just scratched her accidentally when he was 'grooming' her head/pulling her fur out :roll:

I'm really grateful for the advice you've all given me and the friendship of this forum. I love these bunnos very much and I'm sure that in a few weeks time they'll be happy to have each other's warmth and company :)

Back