• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help which vaccine first?

DemiS

Warren Veteran
So Princess (new baby bunny, bought from P@H by students who were then told they weren't allowed her so she's with us now) hasn't had any of her vaccinations yet. The people who bought her gave us a vaccination voucher that came with her for the combi myxo/rhd vaccine but it can only be used at Vets4Pets

I'm taking Cookie and Elmo to our regular vets today for their booster RHD2 vaccine, and I was wondering if I should get Princess done too. I know the combo vaccine covers two diseases but as she's living in our bedroom and has no access to other animals I feel like myxo is less likely and RHD1 doesn't affect babies so much, whereas there have been a few reports this month of RHD2 which can affect babies in the outskirts of nottingham and also in my hometown wakefield which we are visiting next week (and are taking Princess with us)

What would you guys do, combo or RHD2 first?

So Princess (new baby bunny, bought from P@H by students who were then told they weren't allowed her so she's with us now) hasn't had any of her vaccinations yet. The people who bought her gave us a vaccination voucher that came with her for the combi myxo/rhd vaccine but it can only be used at Vets4Pets

I'm taking Cookie and Elmo to our regular vets today for their booster RHD2 vaccine, and I was wondering if I should get Princess done too. I know the combo vaccine covers two diseases but as she's living in our bedroom and has no access to other animals I feel like myxo is less likely and RHD1 doesn't affect babies so much, whereas there have been a few reports this month of RHD2 which can affect babies in the outskirts of nottingham and also in my hometown wakefield which we are visiting next week (and are taking Princess with us)

What would you guys do, combo or RHD2 first?

Hi Demi :)

Yes I would get her done with the RHD/VHD2 at your local vets at the same time as the others, if you can. You can use the voucher for the other vaccination some other time - at least a couple of weeks apart from this one.

The VHD2 vaccine covers VHD1 and 2, so you are only delaying the myxo. Best decision I think :)

Hi Demi :)
Yes I would get her done with the RHD/VHD2 at your local vets at the same time. You can use the voucher for the other vaccination some other time - at least a couple of weeks apart from this one.

The VHD2 vaccine covers VHD1 and 2, so you are only delaying the myxo. Best decision I think :)

Thanks I'd completely forgotten that Filavac covers RHD1 and 2! So either way she'd be getting vaccinated against two diseases. Just waiting for the vets to ring me back to let me know if they have Filavac in stock!

I agree with your line of thought, I'd take fluffball Princess with Cookie & Elmo & get her rhvd2 vaccine first. Its also really useful when they are due their vaccines at the same time ;) not a reason to have it done but a definite bonus

Thanks I'd completely forgotten that Filavac covers RHD1 and 2! So either way she'd be getting vaccinated against two diseases. Just waiting for the vets to ring me back to let me know if they have Filavac in stock!

Yes it's easy to forget that VHD2 also covers VHD1 as well. I hope your vet has Filavac in stock! x

Ahh our vet just rang back, they've only got two in stock. This is a booster for my boys whereas Princess will have no immunity at all, but I can't give one of my boys the vaccine and not the other :(

Ahh our vet just rang back, they've only got two in stock. This is a booster for my boys whereas Princess will have no immunity at all, but I can't give one of my boys the vaccine and not the other :(

What a shame! Did they say when they might be getting more stock?

What a shame! Did they say when they might be getting more stock?

No apparently there's an issue at the moment with stock :(

I'm just looking through the trial data and from 156 rabbits vacc'ed at 10 weeks, it seems that the 12month duration of immunity is based on the original RHD1 strain ("Protection against RHDV1 strain for 10 weeks old rabbits in complianta with Ph. Eur. 2325 at 6 and 12 months but not at 18 months"), but none of the rabbits exposed to RHD2 18months post vaccination died (Protection against RHDV2 significant at 6, 12 and 18 months). The boys had their combo vaccine a few weeks ago so protected against RHD1, and according to trial data should be protected against RHD2 for at least another 6 months. This ethical dilemma is really screwing with my head, I don't want it to seem like I'm favouring princess but as the boys are likely to still be protected for at least 6 months and she has zero protection, I feel like maybe I should just get her done today

No apparently there's an issue at the moment with stock :(

I'm just looking through the trial data and from 156 rabbits vacc'ed at 10 weeks, it seems that the 12month duration of immunity is based on the original RHD1 strain ("Protection against RHDV1 strain for 10 weeks old rabbits in complianta with Ph. Eur. 2325 at 6 and 12 months but not at 18 months"), but none of the rabbits exposed to RHD2 18months post vaccination died (Protection against RHDV2 significant at 6, 12 and 18 months). The boys had their combo vaccine a few weeks ago so protected against RHD1, and according to trial data should be protected against RHD2 for at least another 6 months. This ethical dilemma is really screwing with my head, I don't want it to seem like I'm favouring princess but as the boys are likely to still be protected for at least 6 months and she has zero protection, I feel like maybe I should just get her done today

I have to say that's what crossed my mind, and probably what I would do. But sometimes having all this to deal with is a bit mind-blowing, as you say, so I didn't push my view.

Do whatever your instinct says is right, and it will be right x

as others have said id go filavac first as cover both 1 and 2, but just seen your update you vet only got 2 in stock, could you phone the vets4pets to see if they have it in?

There’s no limit to how many vets you are registered to, you can just ring around local vets to see who has it in stock.

We used to have issues with supply because you have to specially import it from France etc.
I only got my two done with RHDV2 because I worked at a vets so could easily carry it on me, but I have no wild buns come near my garden so I don’t know if I will carry it on as they are mostly in my house...

I hope you get it sorted soon what ever you decide :) x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back