• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Nasty when eating

Ched1986

New Kit
My female rabbit is really nasty when I put food in the bowl. The other rabbit sits back a lot of the time until she is finish but sometimes he will snap back. Other than that they get on like a house on fire. I'm going to get a second bowl but I know she will just eat out of which ever one he goes for. She is literally his shadow. He isn't bothered if she leaves the room but if he goes she follows straight away. How can I make her not so greedy??? I just feel sorry for the poor little fella. Imagine your starving and someone puts a Sunday roast in front of you and then your other half steals it out from under you :-(

My female rabbit is really nasty when I put food in the bowl. The other rabbit sits back a lot of the time until she is finish but sometimes he will snap back. Other than that they get on like a house on fire. I'm going to get a second bowl but I know she will just eat out of which ever one he goes for. She is literally his shadow. He isn't bothered if she leaves the room but if he goes she follows straight away. How can I make her not so greedy??? I just feel sorry for the poor little fella. Imagine your starving and someone puts a Sunday roast in front of you and then your other half steals it out from under you :-(

Is she spayed?

Food aggression is just another possible method of a dominant Rabbit making sure that their status is fully respected. When you feed using separate bowls always make sure the dominant Rabbit (ie your Doe) is fed first, it is important to obey the rules of the hierarchy as if you try to 'be nice' to the submissive Rabbit by feeding him first the Doe will just become more stroppy.

Scatter feeding is another option as long as the environment they live in can accommodate this method.

I assume that your Doe is spayed ?

Has she ever had any Dental problems ? Sometimes a Rabbit with Dental problems will not be able to eat as quickly as normal so they may take to guarding food to make sure their companion does not eat it all.

Do both Rabbits have constant access to a variety of hays/grass ?

I also advise scatter feeding. It gives them something to do and is a good way to make sure that both (or all in my case) rabbits get some food.

Also some rabbits become territorial over their cage/run. Having a big set up can help to reduce this behaviour. Mine live in a 6 x 6 shed with a 7 x 4 run permanently attached. There are four of them and they are all very relaxed together.

Back