• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Sable - lonely little bunny

Offers there, I don't mind how long or short a time period. When I had my op ARC looked after the two bunnies outside for 3 months and then six weeks when James lost his dad. We did keep Mr B as he was completely different to the outside rabbits.

Thank you, again, Amanda.

As Sable is ten (I think) she can't go up ramps unless they are gentle ones so raising the hutch up wouldn't be an option unless steps could be built. (I had thought about that as it is how I got around a similar problem with my buns' hutch and cleaning out).

Hopefully, I will visit Babsie over the weekend and at least take Sable upstairs to see her 'Mum'. Sable is a friendly little bun and was happy for me to cuddle her.

Would steps like Helios and Selene's work for Sable provided the hutch was raised?

Z1n3igl.jpg

My OH can make them.

Would steps like Helios and Selene's work for Sable provided the hutch was raised?

Z1n3igl.jpg

My OH can make them.

I really don't know whether she could manage steps like that. The only certain thing in all this is that I'll never be able to clean out her present hutch, it's just too low and too deep for me. It would have to be at my waist height or a shed that I could sweep out with one of those sets of long handled brushes and dustpans, if you know what I mean, but even then I couldn't bend down to pick up and change her trays. I know I have to make a decision asap but can't think of what's best, and achievable quickly.
Sorry to sound so negative - I don't mean to be, just flummoxed!

I'm getting more and worried about her. She hardly ever comes out of her 'bedroom'. Someone coming in twice a day to feed and water her isn't enough. - means she is covered up from about 4 pm until whatever time a neighbour comes over in the morning. She doesn't see anyone in between ... what life is it for her, suddenly stuck on her own.

I'm getting more and worried about her. She hardly ever comes out of her 'bedroom'. Someone coming in twice a day to feed and water her isn't enough. - means she is covered up from about 4 pm until whatever time a neighbour comes over in the morning. She doesn't see anyone in between ... what life is it for her, suddenly stuck on her own.

What about Amanda's offer to Foster Sable ?

What about Amanda's offer to Foster Sable ?

Yes, I'm wondering whether that would the best thing (well, I've been wondering about that ever since Amanda so kindly offered.) I know she would be warm, well looked after and have company - and be loved, as you can't help but love Sable. Each time I express my worries, my neighbour's say 'oh she's fine', because they obviously don't want me to feel bad. The one in particular, though, has no knowledge of rabbits ... and certainly wouldn't think she'd be lonely and pining for Bobby. not sure who's more depressed now, me or Sable. I can't have her go through the winter like this.

It's the best you can do at the moment, and you don't see it as permanent. If you could try not worry so much about Sable for the immediate future, as her needs are being taken care of, it might take a bit of weight off your mind. Hard to do, I know ..

Of course Sable doesn't know it's only temporary and so probably looks dejected x

Yes, I'm wondering whether that would the best thing (well, I've been wondering about that ever since Amanda so kindly offered.) I know she would be warm, well looked after and have company - and be loved, as you can't help but love Sable. Each time I express my worries, my neighbour's say 'oh she's fine', because they obviously don't want me to feel bad. The one in particular, though, has no knowledge of rabbits ... and certainly wouldn't think she'd be lonely and pining for Bobby. not sure who's more depressed now, me or Sable. I can't have her go through the winter like this.

Amanda would keep you updated about Sable on a regular basis and I am sure that photos would be forthcoming too. IMO, for what it's worth, I think you would feel a lot better about Sable if you were not constantly feeling guilty about her being outside and alone.

I'm happy to take Sable to Amanda's if that's any help? I have next week off of one of my jobs so have a little more spare time. I know Sable would be well cared for at Amanda's. My only concern would be what would happen next as Amanda's flat is quite warm and Sable couldn't go from there to outside again. It's no use me having her here unless it was to bond her as she wouldn't have much more company than she has now.

It's impossible not to love Sable - she is a gorgeous bun and I can understand why you feel so worried about her being lonely.

I don't think there is an easy answer but if there is anything I can do to help, please let me know.

Those steps look very steep!

They're not as steep as they look, really! To be honest H and S only use one step when going up or down (use the bottom step going up, top step going down.)

And we make them to order, so they can be made less steep if needed.

I'm happy to take Sable to Amanda's if that's any help? I have next week off of one of my jobs so have a little more spare time. I know Sable would be well cared for at Amanda's. My only concern would be what would happen next as Amanda's flat is quite warm and Sable couldn't go from there to outside again. It's no use me having her here unless it was to bond her as she wouldn't have much more company than she has now.

It's impossible not to love Sable - she is a gorgeous bun and I can understand why you feel so worried about her being lonely.

I don't think there is an easy answer but if there is anything I can do to help, please let me know.

You're very kind :love:

I guess it's an important thing about the temperature though ..

Indeed - if she were to go indoors it would mean she would have to remain so until at least March - which is a really big ask.

I don't have any heating in our bedroom and back of the flat. :shock:. There is no gas to the property so cannot have gch installed, I did look into it and there is no gas pipes to the building so the road would have to be dug up at our expensive.

Mr B ruined the wiring to the installed electric heating in our bedroom and bathroom. :lol:. Sunshine ruined the wiring in the other bedroom so we had it removed years ago. Although we do have an electric radiator in the back bedroom now. Our storage heater in the living room finally packed in after only using it once a few days ago. We do have a large fan heater.

We will get some sort of economy electric heating installed soon probably not the bedroom, I still get hot at night. It's not as cold as outside though as it's a Victorian building with thick walls. Anyway if it is until March that is fine by me.

I don't have any heating in our bedroom and back of the flat. :shock:. There is no gas to the property so cannot have gch installed, I did look into it and there is no gas pipes to the building so the road would have to be dug up at our expensive.

Mr B ruined the wiring to the installed electric heating in our bedroom and bathroom. :lol:. Sunshine ruined the wiring in the other bedroom so we had it removed years ago. Although we do have an electric radiator in the back bedroom now. Our storage heater in the living room finally packed in after only using it once a few days ago. We do have a large fan heater.

We will get some sort of economy electric heating installed soon probably not the bedroom, I still get hot at night. It's not as cold as outside though as it's a Victorian building with thick walls. Anyway if it is until March that is fine by me.

You have a heart of pure gold Amanda, if only there were many more people like you xx

It sounds like my house, but warmer :)

Wish I could offer Sable a home here, but I never keep rabbits in a pen/room - so couldn't sadly x

I've been thinking about Sable a lot as she is such a lovely bun and I know a little how stressful it is having a poorly bun when you are ill yourself (although I was very, very lucky and recovered relatively quickly from my op).

Tonibun has 48 bunnies in playhouses and sheds in fenced off areas of her (large) paved garden. She doesn't work and spends most of her time out with the buns. I wondered if it would be possible for her to foster Sable as she could remain outside then which would mean more flexibility when she could come home. I didn't say anything yesterday in case Tonibun didn't have the space but she has said she would be willing to foster Sable if you're happy with that, Babsie?

I'm going over to Freshwater on Friday so could take her with me if that sounds like something that would help? Amanda would give Sable a wonderful foster home too but I know the difference in temperature would mean that she couldn't come home until the spring.

It's just a suggestion and there could be factors I have completely overlooked which I am sure RU will point out to me:) but Sable would have human company and bunny company close by and wouldn't have a change in temperature.

I've been thinking about Sable a lot as she is such a lovely bun and I know a little how stressful it is having a poorly bun when you are ill yourself (although I was very, very lucky and recovered relatively quickly from my op).

Tonibun has 48 bunnies in playhouses and sheds in fenced off areas of her (large) paved garden. She doesn't work and spends most of her time out with the buns. I wondered if it would be possible for her to foster Sable as she could remain outside then which would mean more flexibility when she could come home. I didn't say anything yesterday in case Tonibun didn't have the space but she has said she would be willing to foster Sable if you're happy with that, Babsie?

I'm going over to Freshwater on Friday so could take her with me if that sounds like something that would help? Amanda would give Sable a wonderful foster home too but I know the difference in temperature would mean that she couldn't come home until the spring.

It's just a suggestion and there could be factors I have completely overlooked which I am sure RU will point out to me:) but Sable would have human company and bunny company close by and wouldn't have a change in temperature.
Tonibun has 48 bunnies? Tonibun I salute you

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Back