• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Off to the vets again.

He is back to normal again so I have stopped the Metacam. I have a perfectly normal rabbit today. pooping loads, eating hay. Being naughty. I am not convinced it is the tooth problem, I do think something starts it off. I was convinced it was stress related but now I think a diet change could help. I am just giving him small pellets, hay and herbs that is all no treats at all. I am giving them both a papaya tablet a day is that OK or shall stop that too. It was originally to help there molt.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

A papaya tablet should be OK - it might not help with the moult, but no harm either so long as there's not too much sugar in it :)

What treats did you used to give him?

A papaya tablet should be OK - it might not help with the moult, but no harm either so long as there's not too much sugar in it :)

What treats did you used to give him?
Burgess apple pieces and the oaticakes I get off facebook, maybe the odd peice of fresh apple or melon, I think I have been overdoing the Burgess apple peices if I'm honest as when he is having one of his episodes that Is the only thing he will eat so I give him probably more than I should rather than him starve.the oatcakes, I'm not sure about either, everyone on facebook swears by them , I think they are made with pellets, oats and herbs or forage.. I just give them a quarter of one each a day, Oh I also sprinkle some Burgess mountain herbs in there hay at night to encourage Jimmy to eat the hay.

Burgess apple pieces and the oaticakes I get off facebook, maybe the odd peice of fresh apple or melon, I think I have been overdoing the Burgess apple peices if I'm honest as when he is having one of his episodes that Is the only thing he will eat so I give him probably more than I should rather than him starve.the oatcakes, I'm not sure about either, everyone on facebook swears by them , I think they are made with pellets, oats and herbs or forage.. I just give them a quarter of one each a day, Oh I also sprinkle some Burgess mountain herbs in there hay at night to encourage Jimmy to eat the hay.

Those treats don't sound at all bad to me. That's a pretty good diet.

It might not be anything you're doing at all ... Does he manage to eat the hay at all? Can't remember whether you've tried him with Readigrass? If he has dental issues it's sometimes easier for a rabbit to eat.

What are his poos like just now? x

Those treats don't sound at all bad to me. That's a pretty good diet.

It might not be anything you're doing at all ... Does he manage to eat the hay at all? Can't remember whether you've tried him with Readigrass? If he has dental issues it's sometimes easier for a rabbit to eat.

What are his poos like just now? x
Poos are fantastic today a little bit darker than Norah's but lots of them and quite big, I mix readigrass in with the hay. When I read all the info it did say stress could cause it. Ive always thought it was stress related. Next time it happens I will get the dental done although I am honestly not convinced it'is a tooth issue, He eats perfectly normal in between these 1 and a half day Episides and I would think a tooth issue would cause constant pain and other issues. I have put more hay around the shed to encourage more hay eating. Origionaly the hay was Just in the litter tray. If I thought he was clever enough I would think he was doing it for attention because I fuss with him more and he is a mammy's boy. I keeps me on edge though because I'm waiting for it to happen again.

Sorry just seen your PM and the thread. I wouldn't give any veg any more as this can cause gas and it seems you have already done my advice of changing his diet :). As I mentioned Doughnut only has muesli and hay so I think pellets, herbs and hay for your little one hopefully does the trick.

If he has a dental and he still keeps having episodes and the cause can't be found I would make sure you have metacam and metaclopramide on hand and maybe try some infracol too. It's just nice to know you've got it there. Doughnut is on permanent ranitidine but I also have metacam, cisapride and metoclopramide to add in when she has an episode and then if she doesn't get better after two lots then she's off to the vets. With her once she's toiletted she's a lot better, it's like she's constipated and she also has mushy poops. I wonder if you could look out for that. Since I only have her indoors it's easy to pick these things up. The medicine normally takes about an hour to all kick in.

Sorry just seen your PM and the thread. I wouldn't give any veg any more as this can cause gas and it seems you have already done my advice of changing his diet :). As I mentioned Doughnut only has muesli and hay so I think pellets, herbs and hay for your little one hopefully does the trick.

If he has a dental and he still keeps having episodes and the cause can't be found I would make sure you have metacam and metaclopramide on hand and maybe try some infracol too. It's just nice to know you've got it there. Doughnut is on permanent ranitidine but I also have metacam, cisapride and metoclopramide to add in when she has an episode and then if she doesn't get better after two lots then she's off to the vets. With her once she's toiletted she's a lot better, it's like she's constipated and she also has mushy poops. I wonder if you could look out for that. Since I only have her indoors it's easy to pick these things up. The medicine normally takes about an hour to all kick in.
I have noticed mushy poops a couple of times when he has had this problem, It was all over the shed because they had trodden in it and it was everywhere.i was blaming Norah because she does have trouble reaching her poops to eat. I just didn't put 2 and 2 together fir some reason.
I have metacam and I will get some infacol today.. I am hoping that i have solved it with cutting out the broccoli and veg and treats and just giving herbs. Fingers crossed. Thanks for info.x

How's the buns doing?

Is Jimmy OK now?
Hi, Jimmy is still fine, it has been a week now, although this means nothing really as his episodes can come anytime, I'm walking on eggshells. I have tweaked with his diet slightly. No veg, just herbs (hope this is OK) i have hay in 4 areas of the shed and run now to encourage more hay eating, I have a wider selection of hays for them.i have ordered infacol in case we get another attack but as of now he's great. I really don't think this is a tooth issue.i think I put the words in the vets mouth so that's why she suspected it. So far so good, thank you for asking xx

Hi, Jimmy is still fine, it has been a week now, although this means nothing really as his episodes can come anytime, I'm walking on eggshells. I have tweaked with his diet slightly. No veg, just herbs (hope this is OK) i have hay in 4 areas of the shed and run now to encourage more hay eating, I have a wider selection of hays for them.i have ordered infacol in case we get another attack but as of now he's great. I really don't think this is a tooth issue.i think I put the words in the vets mouth so that's why she suspected it. So far so good, thank you for asking xx

So far so good then :)

Yes I can totally appreciate you're walking on eggshells with Jimmy. Can you keep a notebook of every good day he has, and then the 'off' days and what there might possibly be that caused it? Also his behaviour, whether it's always the same on off days or different?

You can then report to the vet with a history of exactly what's happened...

So far so good then :)

Yes I can totally appreciate you're walking on eggshells with Jimmy. Can you keep a notebook of every good day he has, and then the 'off' days and what there might possibly be that caused it? Also his behaviour, whether it's always the same on off days or different?

You can then report to the vet with a history of exactly what's happened...
Yes That is a good idea. Every morning when I go in and give them there pellets I'm so relieved when he goes straight to the bowl. This morning he got that excited while I was unlocking the shed door he tipped the water bowl up and tossed it across the floor . [emoji4].

Yes That is a good idea. Every morning when I go in and give them there pellets I'm so relieved when he goes straight to the bowl. This morning he got that excited while I was unlocking the shed door he tipped the water bowl up and tossed it across the floor . [emoji4].

Bless him :love:

Though I know an excited rabbit and a water bowl don't always make for a tidy floor, especially in my front room :lol:

Sounds like he's back to normal then. Look may it last. Doughnut sometimes goes downhill when she's moulting. Since her gut mobility is slow it just gets slower. Just something for you to look out for. Hopefully that's it now though. I'm always on eggshells after doughnuts had an episode.

Sounds like he's back to normal then. Look may it last. Doughnut sometimes goes downhill when she's moulting. Since her gut mobility is slow it just gets slower. Just something for you to look out for. Hopefully that's it now though. I'm always on eggshells after doughnuts had an episode.

Not wanting to jinx anything, but how often approx does Doughnut have an episode?

Well I have had a little breakthrough regarding hay. I ordered some oat hay and today I received it.it looks tasteless and straw like. I put it in the hay feeder and Jimmy ate the whole lot, there was none left, When he eventually left the litter tray there was the biggest pile of poop I have ever seen.i am presuming this is a good thing.norah doesn't like it. Why cant both my buns not like the same thing.

Well I have had a little breakthrough regarding hay. I ordered some oat hay and today I received it.it looks tasteless and straw like. I put it in the hay feeder and Jimmy ate the whole lot, there was none left, When he eventually left the litter tray there was the biggest pile of poop I have ever seen.i am presuming this is a good thing.norah doesn't like it. Why cant both my buns not like the same thing.

Hey, that's wonderful news!

Perhaps if Norah sees Jimmy munching up she will give it a try .. :)

Both mine love the green oat hay :D You're going to have to get the terminology right though :lol: It's not straw like, it's "stalky" :lol: It also smells good :)

Yesterday evening when I was sitting in the shed watching them, I noticed that Tethra was sitting in the cardboard box full of oat hay and was very carefully picking up the thickest pieces of hay in his mouth and dropping them over the side of the box. Strange boy :lol: His effort was all for nothing though, because before I left them I picked them all up and put them back again :lol:

Both mine love the green oat hay :D You're going to have to get the terminology right though [emoji38] It's not straw like, it's "stalky" [emoji38] It also smells good :)

Yesterday evening when I was sitting in the shed watching them, I noticed that Tethra was sitting in the cardboard box full of oat hay and was very carefully picking up the thickest pieces of hay in his mouth and dropping them over the side of the box. Strange boy [emoji38] His effort was all for nothing though, because before I left them I picked them all up and put them back again [emoji38]
Ha ha, yes stalky, I put more hay in the hay holder and I have just been in to collect the snuggle safes and he is still eating it.i am so happy I have finally found a hay Jimmy will eat. Now I have another problemo, the hay holder which I have just bought from small paws has to be placed Inside the litter tray because it is too small to put outside of it, The litter tray is Now half the size and Jimmy's fat bum won't allow Norah in to share. Any ideas what I can do here so there is more room?shall I cut the side off the litter tray.. Still trying to find ways they are both happy.
56757d41d28892fe12e3299d7da3dae6.jpg
e72f8481b83d97add218ab068bd6250d.jpg

They are beautiful photos of gorgeous rabbits :love:

How are they both doing today?
They are really well, The timothy hay.co.uk sell oat hay in 7kg bales for £22.00,they are sending me a sample of it, I am really hoping they both like it as it is cheaper than buying a 900gram bag from the shop. The bags from the shop don't seem to have much In and because it is stalkier it must weigh more. Jimmy loves it, Norah has been eating it today too. All well and no silly episodes.

They are really well, The timothy hay.co.uk sell oat hay in 7kg bales for £22.00,they are sending me a sample of it, I am really hoping they both like it as it is cheaper than buying a 900gram bag from the shop. The bags from the shop don't seem to have much In and because it is stalkier it must weigh more. Jimmy loves it, Norah has been eating it today too. All well and no silly episodes.

:D:D

Back