• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Off to the vets again.

glitterdust

Warren Scout
I'm taking Jimmy to the vets again as he is not eating properly yet again. I think he has something going on with his mouth as he wants to eat but when he starts to eat he kind of puts his head to the side as if it is sore and then stops eating. I hate taking him to the vets as I know it stresses him out so bad. I feel like a bad bunny mum coz all I seem to do is put my babies through stress.. Will the vets be able to check his mouth for me. I tried but he didn't like It. Just waiting on a taxi to take me now.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

I'm taking Jimmy to the vets again as he is not eating properly yet again. I think he has something going on with his mouth as he wants to eat but when he starts to eat he kind of puts his head to the side as if it is sore and then stops eating. I hate taking him to the vets as I know it stresses him out so bad. I feel like a bad bunny mum coz all I seem to do is put my babies through stress.. Will the vets be able to check his mouth for me. I tried but he didn't like It. Just waiting on a taxi to take me now.

I'm sorry that Jimmy is having more problems. The Vet should be able to take a look in his mouth using a 'scope. Although it is not possible to obtain a 100% view of the oral cavity of a conscious Rabbit it is usually possible to detect signs of soft tissue damage even if the tooth/teeth causing the damage cannot be clearly seen. Excessive amounts of saliva in the mouth is one clue. I hope the Vet can help Jimmy to feel more comfortable x

Hi there, and I'm sorry you have more stress with your little ones. Poor Jimmy!

The vet can only see about 50% of the back teeth (usually the culprit) when looking in the mouth with an otoscope. This means that although they may be able to spot any dental irregularities and soft tissue injury, it's not guaranteed.

I have a vet who can look around the whole mouth and perform a dental without anaesthesia. However, not all vets are comfortable doing this and will use anaesthesia to see the mouth. You will probably have to be prepared for Jimmy to have a GA if they want to properly examine the mouth. Talk with them about this. You would have to make an appointment for another day.

Good luck, let me know how you get on xx

I'm sorry that Jimmy is having more problems. The Vet should be able to take a look in his mouth using a 'scope. Although it is not possible to obtain a 100% view of the oral cavity of a conscious Rabbit it is usually possible to detect signs of soft tissue damage even if the tooth/teeth causing the damage cannot be clearly seen. Excessive amounts of saliva in the mouth is one clue. I hope the Vet can help Jimmy to feel more comfortable x
Jimmy has a tooth that is slightly hitting his tongue but the vet said it didn't look too bad just yet, she gave me metacam for now but did say he will need a dental eventually as rabbits teeth keep growing. I didn't know that. He should eat more hay than he does but he's not a big fan of hay I have to mix things in with it to coax him to eat It. Any advice to encourage him. He was such a good boy. I found it wasn't as stressful for him as I cuddled him the whole time. The vets told Me to give him 0.96 ml of metacam the syringestarts at 0.1. I'm confused how much to give him.
751ad0e5c1d34c090fb353145ca74781.jpg

Hi there, and I'm sorry you have more stress with your little ones. Poor Jimmy!

The vet can only see about 50% of the back teeth (usually the culprit) when looking in the mouth with an otoscope. This means that although they may be able to spot any dental irregularities and soft tissue injury, it's not guaranteed.

I have a vet who can look around the whole mouth and perform a dental without anaesthesia. However, not all vets are comfortable doing this and will use anaesthesia to see the mouth. You will probably have to be prepared for Jimmy to have a GA if they want to properly examine the mouth. Talk with them about this. You would have to make an appointment for another day.

Good luck, let me know how you get on xx
I have to give Jimmy 0.96 of metacam. I have the syringe but it's nearly a full syringe will this be right. I sent a picture of the syringe. I am clueless. Don't want to overdose him. Incase you didn't see my other post, one of his teeth is very slightly catching his tongue, he will eventually need a dental, I just have to ring up and book one in for him if he still has trouble and yes your right it does involve a GA.[emoji853]. Do you know if petplan covers dentals.

Jimmy has a tooth that is slightly hitting his tongue but the vet said it didn't look too bad just yet, she gave me metacam for now but did say he will need a dental eventually as rabbits teeth keep growing. I didn't know that. He should eat more hay than he does but he's not a big fan of hay I have to mix things in with it to coax him to eat It. Any advice to encourage him. He was such a good boy. I found it wasn't as stressful for him as I cuddled him the whole time. The vets told Me to give him 0.96 ml of metacam the syringestarts at 0.1. I'm confused how much to give him.
751ad0e5c1d34c090fb353145ca74781.jpg

It may be difficult to get him to eat more hay if he already has sharp spurs on his molar teeth.

The jaw action required to chew hay is rotary whereas that needed to chew pellets is an up-and-down jaw action. The rotary jaw action can mean that the molar spurs constantly scratch against the tongue/cheeks. It may be necessary for Jimmy to have a Dental sooner rather than later. Once the sharp spur is sorted out then you could try him on a variety of different hays. Some examples on here

https://www.thehayexperts.co.uk/edibles/hay-grasses.html

How much pellet feed do you give him ? A Rabbit's diet should be 80%-90% hay/grass and pellets should form just a tiny percentage of their diet.

http://www.therabbithouse.com/diet/

With regards to the Metacam dose, the dose rate is calculated according to the weight of the Rabbit. Also, there are two different strengths of Metacam . So I would call the Vet back to get him/her to clarify the dose prescribed for Jimmy xx

I have to give Jimmy 0.96 of metacam. I have the syringe but it's nearly a full syringe will this be right. I sent a picture of the syringe. I am clueless. Don't want to overdose him. Incase you didn't see my other post, one of his teeth is very slightly catching his tongue, he will eventually need a dental, I just have to ring up and book one in for him if he still has trouble and yes your right it does involve a GA.[emoji853]. Do you know if petplan covers dentals.

Hi there - thank you I have just seen your post.

It's very often the case that with a molar spur the teeth are not grinding against one another efficiently and so trying to get a rabbit to eat hay is like trying to cut hay with blunt scissors - it just doesn't work. Filing down the spur will make a difference, and time will tell whether he will get around to eating lots of hay.

Readigrass is a tasty alternative to hay, it's good for the teeth, just as much as hay, and tastier to most rabbits :)

Metacam - make sure the vet has given you the correct dosage carefully. There is Cat Metacam and Dog Metacam and they are dosed differently from one another.

Here's some info on grass and hay - fresh grass is also very good, if he will eat that instead of hay?

http://www.therabbithouse.com/diet/grass-hay.asp

This link also shows you how hay and grass influence tooth wear:

http://www.therabbithouse.com/blog/2011/10/07/grass-hay-tooth-wear/

It's a side to side grinding action for hay and grass, which wears the surfaces of the teeth. Pellets are often easier to eat as they are an up and down munching motion but don't wear down the constantly growing teeth surfaces

When did the vey suggest giving him a dental? I expect he wants to get him eating better first? xx

Last edited:
Hi there - thank you I have just seen your post.

It's very often the case that with a molar spur the teeth are not grinding against one another efficiently and so trying to get a rabbit to eat hay is like trying to cut hay with blunt scissors - it just doesn't work. Filing down the spur will make a difference, and time will tell whether he will get around to eating lots of hay.

Readigrass is a tasty alternative to hay, it's good for the teeth, just as much as hay, and tastier to most rabbits :)

Metacam - make sure the vet has given you the correct dosage carefully. There is Cat Metacam and Dog Metacam and they are dosed differently from one another.

Here's some info on grass and hay - fresh grass is also very good, if he will eat that instead of hay?

http://www.therabbithouse.com/diet/grass-hay.asp

This link also shows you how hay and grass influence tooth wear:

http://www.therabbithouse.com/blog/2011/10/07/grass-hay-tooth-wear/

It's a side to side grinding action for hay and grass, which wears the surfaces of the teeth. Pellets are often easier to eat as they are an up and down munching motion but don't wear down the constantly growing teeth surfaces

When did the vey suggest giving him a dental? I expect he wants to get him eating better first? xx
The vet just said give him the metacam for a few days and if it doesn't help ring up for a dental.The thing is, this happens to Jimmy on and off, he goes like this for a day or two and then he is back to normal, there always seems to be a reason behind his behaviour like the wind, or a vets visit ,even when I dropped the ceramic food dish and it smashed he went off his food. I only thought it was his teeth this time because there was nothing that i know of that could of caused it, when I put food in front of him he takes it and runs away with it but then seems to lose interest when eating it. I got some fresh grass and he ate a little bit of that. If he is still the same on Friday I will make an appointment for the dental, if he gets better again then next time it happens I will do the same. He is a strange boy. He will snatch treats and rubbish off me though. I rang the vet, it is nearly the full syringe..

The vet just said give him the metacam for a few days and if it doesn't help ring up for a dental.The thing is, this happens to Jimmy on and off, he goes like this for a day or two and then he is back to normal, there always seems to be a reason behind his behaviour like the wind, or a vets visit ,even when I dropped the ceramic food dish and it smashed he went off his food. I only thought it was his teeth this time because there was nothing that i know of that could of caused it, when I put food in front of him he takes it and runs away with it but then seems to lose interest when eating it. I got some fresh grass and he ate a little bit of that. If he is still the same on Friday I will make an appointment for the dental, if he gets better again then next time it happens I will do the same. He is a strange boy. He will snatch treats and rubbish off me though. I rang the vet, it is nearly the full syringe..

I'm glad you sorted out the Metacam with the vet.

He is a mystery - stressing for you all though and also expensive in the long run I guess?

If he loses interest in food it does sound like a dental needs doing at some point. Hopefully your vet will be able to deal with his teeth in due course and then see where you go from there?

I hope it all gets figured out soon for you xx Bunnies really do have a knack for hiding problems and stressing us out.

He's a bit better. I have been here before with him more than once, tomorrow he is going to be perfectly normal. He has a bad day I worry myself sick and then he starts getting better. Just out of curiosity incase it is me being completely paranoid, do rabbits have days when they are not as hungry and do they zone out as if they are in a trance and don't notice you there until you rattle something. Rabbits are completely new to me and I don't know what to expect from them ,like when it is time to worry and act quickly. Norah is deaf so she is different and acts a bit stupid most of the time bless her x

He's a bit better. I have been here before with him more than once, tomorrow he is going to be perfectly normal. He has a bad day I worry myself sick and then he starts getting better. Just out of curiosity incase it is me being completely paranoid, do rabbits have days when they are not as hungry and do they zone out as if they are in a trance and don't notice you there until you rattle something. Rabbits are completely new to me and I don't know what to expect from them ,like when it is time to worry and act quickly. Norah is deaf so she is different and acts a bit stupid most of the time bless her x

One thing to be observant of is poo output. Poo output can decrease before a Rabbit shows any other signs of a problem and is indicative of a reduced gut motility. If the gut motility is reduced the Rabbit will feel less hungry, thus further slowing things down. IMO poo output is just as relevant as whether the Rabbit is eating or not.

Does Jimmy drink enough water ? A Rabbit with a poor water intake can have a sluggish GI tract. If Jimmy has a sipper bottle try offering him water from a bowl. Rabbits drink a lot more from a bowl than from a bottle.

Usually a rabbit eats and behaves normally most of the time. If he's not as hungry sometimes I would suspect something going on with the teeth perhaps.

It could be a sign of pain, that he doesn't want to eat for some reason. Then the hunger overtakes him.

Does that make sense? xx

Usually a rabbit eats and behaves normally most of the time. If he's not as hungry sometimes I would suspect something going on with the teeth perhaps.

It could be a sign of pain, that he doesn't want to eat for some reason. Then the hunger overtakes him.

Does that make sense? xx
Yes I know what you mean. Next time he does it I will book him in for his tooth filed. Are they in pain afterwards or is it just a case of a recovery from the GA. The vet did say he didn't have any ulcers or cuts in his mouth but the spurs on his left side were slightly touching his tongue which Im guessing in time will get worse. Is this a common condition in rabbits. Jimmy is only 1.

One thing to be observant of is poo output. Poo output can decrease before a Rabbit shows any other signs of a problem and is indicative of a reduced gut motility. If the gut motility is reduced the Rabbit will feel less hungry, thus further slowing things down. IMO poo output is just as relevant as whether the Rabbit is eating or not.

Does Jimmy drink enough water ? A Rabbit with a poor water intake can have a sluggish GI tract. If Jimmy has a sipper bottle try offering him water from a bowl. Rabbits drink a lot more from a bowl than from a bottle.
Yes he drinks loads out of a ceramic bowl. They wouldn't use the bottles. I know I keep asking questions but are rabbits meant to poop alot. The piles of poop are not that big in there litter tray. I have seen pictures of other people's litter trays piled with hundreds of poops Nd I always wonder if mine poop enough. I clean the litter tray once per day.Sometimes there is is a big pile and other times not so much .

Back