• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Toileting

Den

Mama Doe
Am at my wits end. Will and Nancy seem to have forgotten they have litter boxes and are pooping and weeing everywhere.

If it was just one of them I would think a medical reason but it's both of them.

I'm constantly mopping up with kitchen roll and white vinegar!

I don't mind sweeping up the odd stray poop or even a wee if it's obvious they've been too close to the edge of the litter box but I'm finding 2 or 3 wees on the floor every morning and again when I get home from work.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

I'm sorry I can't suggest anything.

Hopefully someone else will be along soon but is it possible to reduce their space temporarily to encourage them to use their tray?

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I'm probably going to say what you are already doing anyway, if so, apologies!

If it's a new thing a vet check for uti etc might be an idea. Has anything changed recently? New hay, bedding, new housing, new pets nearby?

What is on the floor of the rest of their housing? Is it bare of bedding, such as vynil? If it isn't I would get some from a roll end, you can often get it for free. This means you can clean away odours effectively. Plus usually they are more inclined to toilet on soft things like hay, fleece etc. If you can make the litter trays more defined as toilets- the only place where there is hay for example, that might help. Failing all that, you might have to put an extra tray or 2 in if they are insisting on using certain areas.

Had a similar issue with my female due to other reasons she just went everywhere - after she was spayed I reduced her to a small cage, bed at one end, litter tray at the other, she wasn't using it at first but I'd periodically move the droppings to the tray and it's grim but with kitchen towel soak up pee and place that in the tray too... Then cleaned up rest really well to get rid of smell, and she started to use it because ultimately it smelt like a toilet. She's got better and better, only pees in the tray now and there's the odd dropping just outside it sometimes which isn't a problem - it took a month - obviously she still had a chance to run around etc but it was like her base and she'd hop back in to use the tray even though she's out most of the time now :)

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

That's annoying, that's what happened with Doughnut the other week, she was really happy but kept finding a couple of puddles outside her litter tray. She always does pills outside but only in a small area. Could you maybe introduce another litter tray to see if they jump into that one? Doughnut is now not tiddling outside of her tray again so no idea why she was before. She was also using her tray as well. Sorry can't be more helpful.

Thanks for the replies.

I have vinyl flooring. I move the litter tray to a different spot and they go elsewhere:evil:

They are still using the litter box but not all the time.

I did wonder about UTI but it's BOTH of them.

I'm borrowing a steam cleaner this weekend to thoroughly clean but putting a partly used litter tray back in the hope that this helps.

When my buns were little they lived together, the boy got a uti, then the girl did - maybe they do have utis? I'd get samples to the vet maybe :)

When my buns were little they lived together, the boy got a uti, then the girl did - maybe they do have utis? I'd get samples to the vet maybe :)

I've just been on my hands and knees with hot water, white vinegar and a scourer and then dried off with my window vac and kitchen roll. I've removed all the toys that have been wee'd on.

If they keep doing it I will discuss with my vet about urine samples.

I've just found out that when OH or my (adult) son clean up they tend to just wipe up rather than use the white vinegar so I'm hoping that after a thorough clean all lingering odours (apart from what I've left in the litter tray) will be gone.

Last edited:
I've just been on my hands and knees with hot water, white vinegar and a scourer and then dried off with my window vac and kitchen roll. I've removed all the toys that have been wee'd on.

If they keep doing it I will discuss with my vet about urine samples.

I've just found out that when OH or my (adult) son clean up they tend to just wipe up rather than use the white vinegar so I'm hoping that after a thorough clean all lingering odours (apart from what I've left in the litter tray) will be gone.

Ah haha! Yea properly cleaning up so no scent remains definitely helped with my bunny hopefully you'll see an improvement :)

Ah haha! Yea properly cleaning up so no scent remains definitely helped with my bunny hopefully you'll see an improvement :)

I hope so. They used to be so good. Just the occasional stray poop.:D

I think Nancy's a bad influence on Will. The 2 weeks he lived alone after his sister Poppy sadly passed away, there was no mess anywhere. Although there were 2 litter trays he used to lay in one and toilet in the other. Nancy soon got litter trained but just recently they've regressed.

Back