• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help. I'm concerned for Winnie

Lilysmith

New Kit
Hi. I'm new to this so I'm not really sure how it works, but I have a 8 month old bunny called Winnie. (Names after Winnie the Pooh) he is a very lively & curious bun and explores all of his new surroundings. He lives in my bedroom and I lock him up in his dog crate at night time, but apart from that he free roams arround my bedroom.i think something is up with him because yesterday he was running arround my bedroom doing binkys and laps arround my room all happily, and the next minute he thomps his back leg and goes into the corner of my room and starring at the wall for about 10 minutes, making grunting noices. I read somewhere that this is signs of stomach pains or something. But I'm not sure. He is eating loads of hay & pellets and pooping. I haven't really seen him drink much to be honest. But he might be. I'm concerned for him. I don't know if I should take him to the vets or just leave him. My mum thinks I shouldn't bother wasting the vets time as they have more important things to worry about. He has never acting like this before. Can somebody please give me some advice? Should I worry about him or is this just a faze. Thank you!!

Hello there and welcome to the Forum. How is Winnie now? If you think there is something wrong with him it is best to post in the Health Section where our health experts will pick up on it. If bunny has stopped eating he must be seen by a Vet urgently.

Welcome to RU.

Winnie sounds a lovely lively character. Rabbits bang their back feet as a warning (sorry if you know this) so it sounds like something has spooked or upset him. The fact he is eating loads & popping well is very positive. Is his behaviour back to normal now?

It sounds like something just frightened him to me, but if his behaviour doesn’t return to normal I’d take him to the vets for a check up just to be sure :)

Hi. I'm new to this so I'm not really sure how it works, but I have a 8 month old bunny called Winnie. (Names after Winnie the Pooh) he is a very lively & curious bun and explores all of his new surroundings. He lives in my bedroom and I lock him up in his dog crate at night time, but apart from that he free roams arround my bedroom.i think something is up with him because yesterday he was running arround my bedroom doing binkys and laps arround my room all happily, and the next minute he thomps his back leg and goes into the corner of my room and starring at the wall for about 10 minutes, making grunting noices. I read somewhere that this is signs of stomach pains or something. But I'm not sure. He is eating loads of hay & pellets and pooping. I haven't really seen him drink much to be honest. But he might be. I'm concerned for him. I don't know if I should take him to the vets or just leave him. My mum thinks I shouldn't bother wasting the vets time as they have more important things to worry about. He has never acting like this before. Can somebody please give me some advice? Should I worry about him or is this just a faze. Thank you!!

Welcome :wave:

As others have said I would not worry at this point as long as he continues to eat and poop. He probably just got spooked by something, don't forget they have those lovely big ears which hear a lot more than ours so he may have heard a noise that you didn't. Just keep an eye on him but I wouldn't worry.

I agree with all the advice others have given already and it sounds like he was spooked by something.

However for the future if you feel something is wrong health wise I think you should always trust your gut instinct and take them to the vet. Since rabbits are so good at hiding illnesses we have to be sensitive to changes that might indicate something is wrong. Even if it turns out to be nothing, no decent vet will ever think you're wasting their time for bringing him in if you're worried.

I hope Winnie is ok this morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hope Winnie is ok today :) I agree that it sounds like something spooked him.
I'm wondering, did you have any fireworks going off around you at the time? They seem to be starting very early this year and my buns hate them!
Xx

Back