• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Binky isn't acting right

Limit

Warren Scout
I've got myself in a state, Binky was perfectly fine this morning, she ate her share of nuggets, had some greens and was her usual lively self. I then left them to do house work for about 1 and a half hours but when I came to let them out into the garden she didn't show up at the door - this was a big warning flag for me, she is always at the door waiting to come outside. I found her under her castle, tucked at the back, in a loaf position. She didn't really want to move and looked uncomfortable, she eventually came out after Monte charged in to get her. But she didn't run about like usual - second huge warning flag - she laid down in a certain place like she was under her castle, if she did move she wouldn't go far before she loafed again.

It's been hours now and I've given her metacam for now and she's been separated from Monte to be indoors and under supervision. She's had a drink of water, she has pooped normally, but she will not touch her food no matter what it is I give her. Think I will try syringe feeding her until I can get her into the vets tomorrow but for now, she's warm, in a quiet place, has everything she needs and is being watched.

Now I thought it could be dental or stasis problems but she's been holding her foot up and close to herself, it seems odd and I only noticed it when I was laying outside in the shed with her and watching how she moved/sat. This could be me hoping it's just a foot issue though.

I'm worried, scared and my anxiety is sky high, I'm beating myself up for not getting her into a vet today but I was unable to and at the start she seemed as if she were just tired. Would appreciate any vibes or advice, vets tomorrow morning but for now is there anything else I can do to keep her comfortable? :(

I'm sorry to read this. It is unwise to syringe feed unless you can be sure that she hasn't got a blockage. To confirm this she would need to be examined by a vet, but I would not want to leave this until tomorrow morning as that would mean quite a long time since she has eaten. Unfortunately this would mean that you would need to take her to an OOH vet this evening, if you can.

Sending lots of vibes for her. I know it's worrying when they don't eat.

I'm sorry to read this. It is unwise to syringe feed unless you can be sure that she hasn't got a blockage. To confirm this she would need to be examined by a vet, but I would not want to leave this until tomorrow morning as that would mean quite a long time since she has eaten. Unfortunately this would mean that you would need to take her to an OOH vet this evening, if you can.

Sending lots of vibes for her. I know it's worrying when they don't eat.

Thank you Omi xx I will see what I can do, our local vet doesn't have OOH so we'd have to make the journey to the larger branch :( Just in a bit of a muddle x

A small update: lots of gurgling noises from her gut, she's moved a little, still offering her food often, unsure if we can get her to a vet yet. :( Sorry if I post a lot, it is helping to distract me and notes down the times of any changes. x

It's worrying isn't it.
Is she still drinking water?
Have you seen her eat anything?
Is she still pooping?
Have you tried Infolcol?
I thought as long as they are pooping, they haven't got a blockage and you can syringe feed them. But I notice from Omi's post (above) that she advises against that until after a vet visit.
I still have so much to learn about rabbits

I hope she starts to eat soon

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
It's worrying isn't it.
Is she still drinking water?
Have you seen her eat anything?
Is she still pooping?
Have you tried Infolcol?
I thought as long as they are pooping, they haven't got a blockage and you can syringe feed them. But I notice from Omi's post (above) that she advises against that until after a vet visit. I still have so much to learn about rabbits
I hope she starts to eat soon

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Thank you and yes! Even worse is she's never been one to feel sorry for herself, I hate to see her like this.

She has had water in the past hour, she's pooped in the last hour, we were going to try that but I will try to call OOH first I think. I have so much to learn to, but it seems I've been damned with having some of the worst illnesses a bunny can get so far. x

I think if she is continuing to poop then it is probably unlikely that she has a blockage, but I would still prefer to get her examined and so I am pleased that you are taking her in. Also with any episode of not eating, if the vet considers she needs gut medication then it is better to start this at an early stage. It's also better to get the vet to examine her foot.

Sending more vibes for her. Let us know how you get on.

We have got the worst news I'm afraid... she has bloat, you could feel it and I'm devastated. She's staying there over night to give her a chance but the chances are extremely slim... we've give permission for the vet to put her to sleep if she believes it's expanding/ if she's in pain. I can't believe it, I really can't. Thank you for your vibes... please keep them coming, I'd like to still remain at least a bit positive in this situation... :( We'll be contacted at 8 am to know what has happened overnight. Absolutely devastated :'(

Oh no, I'm so sorry :( Sending loads and loads of vibes for her. I hope that the vet can get her to pull through. Sending you lots of hugs. I can imagine how distressing this is for you.

Oh no, I'm so sorry :( Sending loads and loads of vibes for her. I hope that the vet can get her to pull through. Sending you lots of hugs. I can imagine how distressing this is for you.

Thank you again xx Means the world to me right now

I'm so sorry to hear that Binky has bloat :( Sending lots and lots of vibes and I hope you get a positive update in the morning. It is awful waiting for news x

I'm so sorry to hear that Binky has bloat :( Sending lots and lots of vibes and I hope you get a positive update in the morning. It is awful waiting for news x

Thank you so much x :( It's really appreciated, don't think I'll be getting any sleep tonight x

Really sorry to hear this :( it's the worst feeling them being away and you not knowing exactly what's going on :( sending lots of vibes and love xx

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

I am so sorry to read that Bunky is seriously ill :cry: I really hope that she has made it through the night. Sending millions of vibes for her xx

Oh goodness.... I've been here so I know what you must be going through :( I so wish I could say or do something that would make things better but I know there's nothing that can be done. All I can say is my thoughts are with you both and I desperately hope your little one makes it through. When Maple was in this situation the hospital told me I could call in the night if I was worried (which I did), if you're really worried maybe you could give them a call to see how she's doing? I'm sure they wouldn't mind.
I'm so, so sorry you're going through this.
Thinking of you both xx :(

She didn't make it through the night, she was put to sleep at half 5 this morning, heart broken... I can't believe it :(

Back