• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Grass allergy (mine!)

Glowy

New Kit
Hi,

We're hoping to get a house bunny, but first I need to settle the question of what I could feed her as i have a severe grass pollen allergy. I'd hate to get her and then need to rehome.

My grass pollen allergy is particularly severe, well out of the "a bit of hay fever" category and requires me to carry an adrenaline pen. So it's not a question of keeping rooms hay free, taking antihistamines, using breathing masks when handling it etc etc, i just can't have grass in the house at all.

Can I feed a rabbit healthily and properly without hays and grasses? If so, what would I feed? I intend to get some samples of various things to test out on myself so any suggestions/advice would be welcome. And if the answer really is that we should choose a different pet, so be it - I'll look after animals properly or just not have them!

Many thanks.

Hi,

We're hoping to get a house bunny, but first I need to settle the question of what I could feed her as i have a severe grass pollen allergy. I'd hate to get her and then need to rehome.

My grass pollen allergy is particularly severe, well out of the "a bit of hay fever" category and requires me to carry an adrenaline pen. So it's not a question of keeping rooms hay free, taking antihistamines, using breathing masks when handling it etc etc, i just can't have grass in the house at all.

Can I feed a rabbit healthily and properly without hays and grasses? If so, what would I feed? I intend to get some samples of various things to test out on myself so any suggestions/advice would be welcome. And if the answer really is that we should choose a different pet, so be it - I'll look after animals properly or just not have them!

Many thanks.

Hello

I am sorry to hear of your severe allergy. Unfortunately Rabbits must be fed a diet that is made up of 80%-90% hay/grass.

A bit more info here :

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-diet/

http://www.therabbithouse.com/diet/

Given the severity of your allergies perhaps a Rabbit may not be the right Pet for you :cry:

This is a very sad situation, but I have to agree with Jane's comments regarding the percentage of hay/grass that a rabbit should eat. It's also worth considering that a lot of the pellet food sold for rabbits also contains hay.

There are a few rabbits who refuse to eat hay and so their diet will have to be adapted accordingly. However, it has to be said that such a diet is detrimental to a rabbit's dental and digestive health.

I presume that you know for sure that you are allergic to all different types of grass and hay?

Just to reiterate what's already been said: sadly for you the majority of a rabbit's diet has to be hay/grass (80 - 90%) so if you are allergic to these, a rabbit is not the pet for you.
I'm pleased you've done your research and asked for advice.

Hi,

Many thanks.

A rabbit has to have hay/grass to be healthy.

http://www.therabbithouse.com/diet/

But you may not be allergic to all of them ...

Suggestions for what you could try ..

Fresh picked grass

Different sorts of hay ... get samples here:

https://www.thehayexperts.co.uk

Freeze dried readigrass might be an option:

http://www.friendshipestates.co.uk/horse-feeds/readigrass.html

You can buy small bags for rabbits, and also if you contact Friendship Estates who make it, they will help you with a sample to try.

There are also other ways to cope with allergies, so if you've explored everything and nothing works and you're still very keen on a house rabbit, do get back to me :wave:

Hi, I'd forgotten I posted this - just wanted to say thank you for the replies and your input. I'm going to get one of the sample packs from the hay experts and do some testing on myself to see if I can tolerate an of them.

Again, many thanks!

Hi, I'd forgotten I posted this - just wanted to say thank you for the replies and your input. I'm going to get one of the sample packs from the hay experts and do some testing on myself to see if I can tolerate an of them.

Again, many thanks!

Good luck!

Back