• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

HELP! Rabbit is self barbering!

Cash&Cuppy

New Kit
I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on how to help my bun who is self barbering. She is my dominant of my two rabbits and she has started self barbering her neck under her chin. I believe it’s due to stress as we have been moving. My vet recommended I put silver sulfadiazine on the spot to treat the skin though the second I put it on she just licked it right off... I don’t want her infesting a bunch of this stuff I know it is no way good for her. I was going to switch to using maybe coconut oil instead but wanted to know if anyone else has had this issue and what has worked for you?? Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on how to help my bun who is self barbering. She is my dominant of my two rabbits and she has started self barbering her neck under her chin. I believe it’s due to stress as we have been moving. My vet recommended I put silver sulfadiazine on the spot to treat the skin though the second I put it on she just licked it right off... I don’t want her infesting a bunch of this stuff I know it is no way good for her. I was going to switch to using maybe coconut oil instead but wanted to know if anyone else has had this issue and what has worked for you?? Thank you!

Hi there and welcome to the forum :wave:

AS Omi has said, Mervinius is going through this (as have I in the past). I saw your post on her thread and responded on there as I hadn't seen this.

Has the vet suggested any other diagnostics?

Some info here,

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Mechanical/Mutilation/Selfmutilation.htm

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/PhysicalTraumatic/Self_mutilation_rabbits.htm

http://www.disabledrabbits.com/self-injury.html

I am assuming that she is spayed ? I am also assuming that the Vet ruled out any possible source of pain/discomfort eg teeth/ears/back ?

This link may provide a bit more information/suggestions

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/PhysicalTraumatic/Self_mutilation_rabbits.htm

Hi! Yes she is spayed, the vet did rule out everything else including possible parasites. Thank you!

Has the vet done any further tests, such as a skin biopsy? IE taking a sample of the skin and sending it off to the lab.

Last edited:
Hi there and welcome to the forum :wave:

AS Omi has said, Mervinius is going through this (as have I in the past). I saw your post on her thread and responded on there as I hadn't seen this.

Has the vet suggested any other diagnostics?

Some info here,

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Mechanical/Mutilation/Selfmutilation.htm

http://www.disabledrabbits.com/self-injury.html

Hi! Just saw your comment on the other thread, yes after a hefty vet bill from testing all the vet could conclude was it had to be from stress. We are in the process of moving right now and she is not very happy about it.
I was going to give coconut oil a shot o you because I’m not so worried about her ingesting that as I am topical meds.. I was thinking maybe I could try to cover the spot so she can’t get to it after I put Flamazine on it but I have absolutely no idea how I could cover her throat [emoji20]

Hi! Just saw your comment on the other thread, yes after a hefty vet bill from testing all the vet could conclude was it had to be from stress. We are in the process of moving right now and she is not very happy about it.
I was going to give coconut oil a shot o you because I’m not so worried about her ingesting that as I am topical meds.. I was thinking maybe I could try to cover the spot so she can’t get to it after I put Flamazine on it but I have absolutely no idea how I could cover her throat [emoji20]

It's really difficult. Especially when it's the throat, as you say.

She almost needs a buster collar on to stop her from over-grooming that area, but that comes with it's own problems ...

Did the vet have any other suggestions?

as the vet done any further tests, such as a skin biopsy? IE taking a sample of the skin and sending it off to the lab.

Skin biopsy is our next and final step if it doesn’t clear up. I have only been trying the Flamazine for a couple days but it only lasts maybe ten minutes before she licks it all off [emoji20]

It's really difficult. Especially when it's the throat, as you say.

She almost needs a buster collar on to stop her from over-grooming that area, but that comes with it's own problems ...

Did the vet have any other suggestions?

I’m waiting to hear back from my vet right now, left a message with them last night but turns out they’re closed today so hopefully I get a call back Saturday [emoji20]

I have copied your post from the other thread back on to hear so that I do not gate-crash Mervinus's thread !

Yes I could that’s a great idea!!

I attached some pictures
341a909e4a0f06c22cc2c6bea36928dd.heic
bce01f9ed3a316cf96b0bae86d0e7be4.heic

Does your Doe drink from a bowl or from a sipper bottle ?

From a bowl

That may be the problem. Will she drink from a sipper bottle ?

Some Rabbits can get a moist dermatitis if they use a bowl to drink from and they are not too efficient at drying themselves off. Dewlaps can make things tricky in that respect too, not much air circulates under the flap of fatty skin. Your Doe does have a little Dewlap just under her chin.

Back