• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Elderly bunny treated for inner ear infection- now has problems with hind legs

Hi all

I am very sad to tell you that our lovely Poppy was put to sleep at lunch today after taking advice from my vet, and taken into consideration her poor prognosis, and poor quality of life she had. I held her in my arms and comforted her whilst she licked my arm, a real honour from her I feel, and perhaps proves she had no idea what was going on and was not frightened in any way. My husband was with me. It was all very calm and I know she didn't suffer and she is now at peace and reunited with her beloved Bobby, who died 4 weeks ago tomorrow.

Thank you everyone for all your support and advice that has helped me through this awful time. It is the end of an era for me as I said when both my rabbits passed I wouldn't have any more as I have owned rabbits for 18 plus years, so quite sad about that too.

Pandora xx

I am so very sorry :cry: You have done the most loving and compassionate thing for Poppy, even though I am sure it was heartbreaking for you :cry:

May your dear little friend Poppy now rest peacefully xx

Thank you Jane, that is very kind of you, it was very hard, but it was the right thing to do for her.

Pandora

Hi all

I am very sad to tell you that our lovely Poppy was put to sleep at lunch today after taking advice from my vet, and taken into consideration her poor prognosis, and poor quality of life she had. I held her in my arms and comforted her whilst she licked my arm, a real honour from her I feel, and perhaps proves she had no idea what was going on and was not frightened in any way. My husband was with me. It was all very calm and I know she didn't suffer and she is now at peace and reunited with her beloved Bobby, who died 4 weeks ago tomorrow.

Thank you everyone for all your support and advice that has helped me through this awful time. It is the end of an era for me as I said when both my rabbits passed I wouldn't have any more as I have owned rabbits for 18 plus years, so quite sad about that too.

Pandora xx

My thoughts are with you and your husband. You made the compassionate choice for her and I know how difficult this was for you.

I am so sorry for your losses and that it's the end of an era for you.

Bless you for the care you gave to Bobby and Poppy. They couldn't have been in better hands xx

Thank you so much MM, that is so kind of you, I feel I am grieving for both of them now, as Bobby passed whilst we were away, and Poppy has needed all my attention since. I will miss my furry babies so much. xx

I'm sorry you have lost both your buns in such a short space of time. They leave such a big void when they go

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

I'm so very sorry that you have lost little Poppy, but pleased to hear, that she had a peaceful passing. My heart goes out to you, losing both buns so close together, both reunited now though. Binky free with Bobby little bun xxxx

I'm so sorry you had to say goodbye to Poppy, even though you know it's the right thing to do it still is so so difficult and devastating. How heartbreaking to have lost 2 buns so close together. I had to say goodbye to my boy 10 weeks ago and after having bunnies for 10 years am bunniless too :( like you I am grieving for them all and the massive hole they have left in our lives. Sending hugs to you. RIP little Poppy x

Thank you all for your very heartfelt messages. x
Nickybunny 1 - sorry for you and the void your bunnies have left, it is so heartbreaking. x

Pandora

Thank you so much MM, that is so kind of you, I feel I am grieving for both of them now, as Bobby passed whilst we were away, and Poppy has needed all my attention since. I will miss my furry babies so much. xx

It's a lot on your shoulders, to lose both of them so close together. I really feel for you :(

You've been on a bit of a rollercoaster and now it's stopped it takes time to adjust.

Let me know if I can help in any way x

Thank you all, its nice to share with people who understand.

MM thanks for your kind offer. x

To lose 3 animals from May to beginning of October (lost our cat suddenly in May under 7 years old) is quite difficult to deal with. Life can be cruel.

Pandora x

So sorry to hear this sad update, it sounds like Poppy had a very peaceful passing.

I can completely sympathise as I made the same decision last week for my bun and like you, I'd made the decision I wouldn't be having any more-it's only been 11 years of rabbits for me. They certainly leave a hole in your life-such characters. Big hugs to you, it's certainly not been a kind year.x.

I'm so sorry you had to say goodbye to Poppy. To lose three much loved pets in such a short space of time must be incredibly hard [emoji17]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back