• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Elderly bunny treated for inner ear infection- now has problems with hind legs

Hi

My rabbit, Poppy, was kept in the vets overnight. Today they are testing a poo sample and she will have an x-ray to see what is going on with her legs. Worrying as she is 10 and a half years old and when she had the ear infection he didnt want to do an x-ray but wants to now, he will just give her a whiff of anaesthetic he said. Should have results later today, will update then.

Thank you all.

Pandora x

I hope all works out well for Poppy. Fingers crossed x

Hi everyone

Just to update on my bunny Poppy. The x ray revealed that some of the discs in her spine are fusing together and it ranges between moderate and severe, is this Spondylitis?, she also has arthritis. We have her home now, she is eating well at the moment. Her left leg seems very stiff and sticks outwards slightly which is affecting her balance. She is on Loxicom (1.2 ml twice a day) and we have tramadol (half a tablet twice a day). She is trying to move around but is dragging the left leg. She was in our conservatory but I have brought her in to a warmer room and put her in a pen on vet bed and training pads, so she is more comfortable.

I was thinking of acupunture, and if this would be beneficial to her. She seems bright in herself but I feel sorry for her, she has had a lot to cope with lately after losing her partner.

Pandora x

Hi everyone

Just to update on my bunny Poppy. The x ray revealed that some of the discs in her spine are fusing together and it ranges between moderate and severe, is this Spondylitis?, she also has arthritis. We have her home now, she is eating well at the moment. Her left leg seems very stiff and sticks outwards slightly which is affecting her balance. She is on Loxicom (1.2 ml twice a day) and we have tramadol (half a tablet twice a day). She is trying to move around but is dragging the left leg. She was in our conservatory but I have brought her in to a warmer room and put her in a pen on vet bed and training pads, so she is more comfortable.

I was thinking of acupunture, and if this would be beneficial to her. She seems bright in herself but I feel sorry for her, she has had a lot to cope with lately after losing her partner.

Pandora x

Oh bless her :cry: Acupuncture may well be of some benefit to her if she would tolerate it. My excellent Vet offers both Acupuncture and Cold Laser Therapy as part of the management of arthritic conditions

https://www.twickenhamvets.com/acupuncture/

https://www.twickenhamvets.com/laser-therapy-amazing/

Massage and gentle physio can also be of benefit. Some Veterinary Physiotherapists do offer a home treatment service, it is best to have Professional guidance before starting any physio regime.

I hope that your Bunny can remain as comfortable as possible xx

Hi

Im afraid Poppy has deteriorated over night. She seems disorientated and her head is a bit wobbly. She cant use her left leg and is dragging herself around, distressing to see. I think we need to make a decision.

Pandora

Hi

Im afraid Poppy has deteriorated over night. She seems disorientated and her head is a bit wobbly. She cant use her left leg and is dragging herself around, distressing to see. I think we need to make a decision.

Pandora

I am so sorry to hear this Pandora x

Hi

Pandora

I am so sorry to read the latest update :cry:

Thanks all

Poppy is still with us, I am waiting for a call from the vets re: her condition, as when we picked her up last night we saw the nurse, so need some answers to questions. She has some appetite and so have been giving her veg treats. She is not interested in pellets. Her eyes are constantly flickering, not scanning, I gave her stemetil last night when she came back from vets and also this morning, along with all other pain meds. She can move around but that involves dragging her left leg. I am concerned that she is not really finding her water bowl, I gave her some recovery this morning so she should be ok along with veg she has eaten. Its very difficult to know what to do, whether to give her more time? The vet didnt continue with the antibiotics for the ear infection which I thought he would have, she has been on them 3 weeks.

Pandora

Thanks all

Poppy is still with us, I am waiting for a call from the vets re: her condition, as when we picked her up last night we saw the nurse, so need some answers to questions. She has some appetite and so have been giving her veg treats. She is not interested in pellets. Her eyes are constantly flickering, not scanning, I gave her stemetil last night when she came back from vets and also this morning, along with all other pain meds. She can move around but that involves dragging her left leg. I am concerned that she is not really finding her water bowl, I gave her some recovery this morning so she should be ok along with veg she has eaten. Its very difficult to know what to do, whether to give her more time? The vet didnt continue with the antibiotics for the ear infection which I thought he would have, she has been on them 3 weeks.

Pandora

I would be minded to request that the antibiotic treatment continues. I hope that the Vet will agree. I do hope that Poppy will be able to remain with you for a while longer. I am sure that you will do whatever is best for her xx

Bless you, thank you. It is interesting getting another persons perspective as I thought he should continue with the antibiotics.

Pandora

Thanks all

Pandora

Ear infections can take a lot longer than 3 weeks to resolve. Unless the vet has another plan, I would be requesting further ...

Can you remind me what antibiotics she is taking?

Bless you, thank you. It is interesting getting another persons perspective as I thought he should continue with the antibiotics.

Pandora

Having had rather too much experience in dealing with ear infections I have learned that more often than not antibiotic treatment needs to continue for several weeks. Sometimes even for several months.

Pandora

Roxyroller88 has lots of experience with bunnies' ear infections. She's around at the moment, so you could drop her a PM?

I am sure she wouldn't mind :)

Hi all

Poppy is displaying some neurological symptoms, flickering eyes and circling. She cannot use either of her legs now, so cannot stand up, and when she moves she is just dragging herself in a circle. Tough to watch. The vet did not ring me back today re antibiotics even though they promised. This is not my usual vet though but a supposed savvy vet with exotic experience. I have an appointment booked with my own vet tomorrow so will be able to get a second opinion. I dont think antibiotics will help her regain use of her legs ultimately as this could be the fused discs in her spine. So there is perhaps more than one thing going on here.

The nurse yesterday said the eyes was a result of the ear infection, but they were not like that when we took her to stay in on Wednesday, thats why I think its maybe neurological.

Pandora

Hi all

Poppy is displaying some neurological symptoms, flickering eyes and circling. She cannot use either of her legs now, so cannot stand up, and when she moves she is just dragging herself in a circle. Tough to watch. The vet did not ring me back today re antibiotics even though they promised. This is not my usual vet though but a supposed savvy vet with exotic experience. I have an appointment booked with my own vet tomorrow so will be able to get a second opinion. I dont think antibiotics will help her regain use of her legs ultimately as this could be the fused discs in her spine. So there is perhaps more than one thing going on here.

The nurse yesterday said the eyes was a result of the ear infection, but they were not like that when we took her to stay in on Wednesday, thats why I think its maybe neurological.

Pandora

I'm really sorry to hear this. It must be heartbreaking for you :cry:

What time is your appointment with the vet tomorrow?

Hi all

Pandora

Sadly with ear infections they can progress to the inner ear/brain hence the onset of severe neurological symptoms :cry:

http://www.msdvetmanual.com/eye-and...-interna/overview-of-otitis-media-and-interna

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Bacterial/BacterialOtitisMediaInterna.htm

I am so sorry that the Exotics Practice appears to have let you down by not returning your call, that really is not acceptable and must have added to your distress.
I am sending millions of vibes for dear little Poppy, she is clearly now a very poorly Rabbit :cry: You are doing absolutely everything within your power to try to help her and as I said before, I know that you will do whatever is best for her xx

Thinking of you and Poppy today xx

It's not possible to definitively diagnose an ear infection purely by that symptom with the eyes (nystagmus)

The inner ear controls balance and hearing. Disease can enter this area through the same three pathways as in the middle ear. Signs of disease of the inner ear include deafness, HEAD TILT, LOSS OF BALANCE and horizontal or rotary nystagmus (eye "flipping" or "rolling") which is spontaneous and unrelated to the position of the head. Proprioception (the ability of the rabbit to sense where the feet and legs are) and postural reactions (the ability of the rabbit to try to return to a normal standing position) are normal.

Last edited:
Hi all

I am very sad to tell you that our lovely Poppy was put to sleep at lunch today after taking advice from my vet, and taken into consideration her poor prognosis, and poor quality of life she had. I held her in my arms and comforted her whilst she licked my arm, a real honour from her I feel, and perhaps proves she had no idea what was going on and was not frightened in any way. My husband was with me. It was all very calm and I know she didn't suffer and she is now at peace and reunited with her beloved Bobby, who died 4 weeks ago tomorrow.

Thank you everyone for all your support and advice that has helped me through this awful time. It is the end of an era for me as I said when both my rabbits passed I wouldn't have any more as I have owned rabbits for 18 plus years, so quite sad about that too.

Pandora xx

Back