• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Elderly bunny treated for inner ear infection- now has problems with hind legs

Pandora1

Warren Scout
Sorry for starting new thread, wasnt sure how to edit/alter old post.

My ten and half year old bunny is being treated for an ear infection and has been improving well. However she seems to be having trouble with her back legs, which means she is very wobbly and seems to be reluctant to move around a lot. When she does move she lurches forward. She is eating, pooing and weeing ok, maybe not eating as well as before but ok. She has a vets appointment Thursday morning. I am worried they may suggest PTS because of her age. She is on daily Loxicom and antibiotics.

When she first had the ear infection and she was displaying neurological symptoms, one of her legs was splayed out, but that gradually rectified itself, so not sure what is going on.

Pandora

Has your vet considered treating her for the EC parasite as well? It would just mean adding a 28 day course of Panacur to her existing treatment. The Loxicom will help to relieve the neurological symptoms caused by the parasite, while the panacur reduces the amount of parasite in her system. As the parasite is excreted in urine, it is essential to do a thorough decontamination (bleach or steam clean) on days 21 and 28 of treatment - this helps to break the parasite's lifecycle and avoid reinfection.

Assuming there is nothing else found at her next vet examination, it is worth suggesting this.

We have discussed EC and he said with the symptoms she presented with it was more likely to be an inner ear infection, and of course she did improve on the treatment, also with her age he was concerned about her immune system being compromised with panacur. We could mention again when we see vet tomorrow about panacur.

Thank you

Sorry for starting new thread, wasnt sure how to edit/alter old post.

My ten and half year old bunny is being treated for an ear infection and has been improving well. However she seems to be having trouble with her back legs, which means she is very wobbly and seems to be reluctant to move around a lot. When she does move she lurches forward. She is eating, pooing and weeing ok, maybe not eating as well as before but ok. She has a vets appointment Thursday morning. I am worried they may suggest PTS because of her age. She is on daily Loxicom and antibiotics.

When she first had the ear infection and she was displaying neurological symptoms, one of her legs was splayed out, but that gradually rectified itself, so not sure what is going on.

Pandora

My vet does acupuncture, and also cold laser therapy, both of which work very well on rabbits. Perhaps you could ask about that in connection with her mobility?

https://www.twickenhamvets.com/laser-therapy-amazing/

What pain relief is she on? Metacam and Tramadol can be given together. Sometimes Tramadol alone will make a big difference.

The other thing that helps my buns in that situation is a warm heat pad. I use a 24/7 electric heating pad. Someone on here said they were unsafe, but I have never had a problem and my vet not only recommends the one I use, but uses them for her sick animals too :)

Hi Mighty Max

She is on Loxicom. I will ask about tramadol and all the others you mention to the vet tomorrow. Which one is the heat pad you mentioned, I have a snuggle safe but she ignores it, she is on vetbeds at the mo. I hope your bunny is doing ok!

Pandora

We have discussed EC and he said with the symptoms she presented with it was more likely to be an inner ear infection, and of course she did improve on the treatment, also with her age he was concerned about her immune system being compromised with panacur. We could mention again when we see vet tomorrow about panacur.

Thank you

There are several possible causes of hind leg weakness in Rabbits, EC is just one of them. So a thorough examination by a Rabbit Savvy Vet is the best place to start. This link gives you a bit of information which may be useful to read

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Neurology/Differentials/paresis.htm

I am glad that your Bunny's ear infection is now under control and I hope the Vet can also help regarding Bunny's mobility xx

Hi Mighty Max

She is on Loxicom. I will ask about tramadol and all the others you mention to the vet tomorrow. Which one is the heat pad you mentioned, I have a snuggle safe but she ignores it, she is on vetbeds at the mo. I hope your bunny is doing ok!

Pandora

Vet beds are lovely and cushioning!

Thanks for PM and hope all goes well. Get in touch if you need to :wave:

Hi

I have noticed my rabbit has passed some jelly substance, now I am worrying more. What could be going on and can she wait till tomorrow morning to see vets. She is eating and pooing and weeing.

Pandora

Hi

I have noticed my rabbit has passed some jelly substance
, now I am worrying more. What could be going on and can she wait till tomorrow morning to see vets. She is eating and pooing and weeing.

Pandora

That can indicate some inflammation within the GI tract. I would call the Vet now and ask them if your Rabbit should be seen today or if they feel that it will be OK to wait until tomorrow as previously arranged x

Hi

I have noticed my rabbit has passed some jelly substance, now I am worrying more. What could be going on and can she wait till tomorrow morning to see vets. She is eating and pooing and weeing.

Pandora

Is it anything like in these photos?

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_diseases/drop/Drp_en.htm

http://rabbit.org/the-mystery-of-rabbit-poop/

If she is eating and pooing you may be able to get away without a vet visit, but best to ring up and ask, as that often indicates inflammation in the colon/intestines.

Good luck x

Hi

The vet said to be on the safe side to bring her in as she was so poorly before, and they will keep her overnight for observation.

Pandora

Mighty Max

Yes poo was like the pictures with gel in the poo, then she passed clear gel. Im so glad she is going to vets now.

Thank you everyone for your help and advice x

Mighty Max

Yes poo was like the pictures with gel in the poo, then she passed clear gel. Im so glad she is going to vets now.

Thank you everyone for your help and advice x

You're welcome :)

Yes I had a feeling it might look like that ..

Let me know how she gets on :)

Hi

My rabbit, Poppy, was kept in the vets overnight. Today they are testing a poo sample and she will have an x-ray to see what is going on with her legs. Worrying as she is 10 and a half years old and when she had the ear infection he didnt want to do an x-ray but wants to now, he will just give her a whiff of anaesthetic he said. Should have results later today, will update then.

Thank you all.

Pandora x

Hi

My rabbit, Poppy, was kept in the vets overnight. Today they are testing a poo sample and she will have an x-ray to see what is going on with her legs. Worrying as she is 10 and a half years old and when she had the ear infection he didnt want to do an x-ray but wants to now, he will just give her a whiff of anaesthetic he said. Should have results later today, will update then.

Thank you all.

Pandora x

I really hope that you receive some encouraging news later today xx

Back