• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Carrier for 4 bunnies?

Casco

Mama Doe
Is there a carrier that would be suitable for 4 rabbits? I’m not sure I would even be able to carry 4 rabbits together mind you! Do those of you with quads put them all in 1 carrier for vet visits etc or do you split them into 2 carriers?

When I had four, I once put them all together in a large carrier :shock: They were squashed, but I reasoned that they slept in a similar way :) However, I really found it very heavy and so after that I put them in two.

My 3 buns used to travel in a small dog crate and on arrival at vets I just brought each one in in a carrier. If your buns r smallish the Catit carrier is brill and could hold 2 buns at a time.

When I had a quad of rabbits I used ferplast atlas mini, it is a great carrier that has doors on the front. I used to use it open in their shed all the time and then at vets time they didn't mind going in it.

2 rabbits are fairly heavy in a carrier - and you need to be able to separate them at the vet without too much stress. A carrier big enough for 4 may not fit in a car easily, either. I take mine in singly or as pairs in standard cat carriers. I do have a small dog wire 2' crate that we used to get 4 cats to the vet, but it was a nightmare to get through doors and needed 2 people to carry it. I also have a small dog carrier with wheels and a pull along handle. I don't think it would go in the car (it would sit on a the back seat but not go through the door), but would fit 4 bunnies in comfort and would be good for transporting by bus or a short walk. Again, it wouldn't be easy at the vet trying to get the rabbits out individually. If you have some help, using a smaller, top opening carrier for each rabbit may be less stressful, and they will unclip and stack neatly when not needed. Bigger carriers still take up a lot of space when not in use. If you only need to transport one rabbit, the smaller carriers are more useful generally.

Examples:
Top opening carrier for 1 rabbit:
https://www.petplanet.co.uk/product...LEXzRLLrSWtnLCOV9t48JOE-aaqoVBkhoCDLAQAvD_BwE

For 2 rabbits:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ferplast-A...=1507619362&sr=8-7&keywords=atlas+cat+carrier

With wheels (available separately) - may fit 4 rabbits:
https://www.feedem.co.uk/dog-c1/dog...plastic-dog-pet-carrier-medium-dog-size-p1522

When I had a quad, I used a small dog crate for vet visits. I still use said small crate for my trios now.

I have the catit cabrio just now for 3 but I wouldn’t fit a fourth bunny in there too. I have seen a ferplast atlas 40 (without wheels I think) on gumtree available fairly locally so was considering that one but hadn’t considered whether it will fit in the car! Small dog crate might be an option, presumably you drape a blanket or something over it so the rabbits have cover especially in the vets waiting room?

I have the catit cabrio just now for 3 but I wouldn’t fit a fourth bunny in there too. I have seen a ferplast atlas 40 (without wheels I think) on gumtree available fairly locally so was considering that one but hadn’t considered whether it will fit in the car! Small dog crate might be an option, presumably you drape a blanket or something over it so the rabbits have cover especially in the vets waiting room?

Yes, I was just about to add that we bring a fleece for the waiting room as it just crossed my mind. One thing I love about my vets is that they actually have some fleeces available in the waiting room for timid cats/smaller critters who need their carrier covering - should I forget to bring my own.

At the vets for weighing flighty animals they have an ancient wire mesh crate thing with a handle on top: I suspect one twice the size would fit a quad. That's still, what, maybe 8kg of bunnies?! :shock: Before you even consider the carrier weight.

I have the nobby avior pet carrier from zooplus. It could probably fit 4 in as they all like to cram together but I use two carriers so as to balance out the weight of the rabbits.

I think my main problem with using 2 carriers will be getting through the doors at my vets :lol: they are awkward to open even with 1 carrier. Obviously though 4 rabbits in 1 carrier will weigh quite a bit. I manage ok carrying the 3 of them together in the fairly heavy catit cabrio, new bunny is currently around 2kg but that will probably increase slightly and current 3 combined are around the 6kg mark.

Then there’s the whole scenario of trying to get 4 rabbits into the same carrier without one escaping each time you put another one in :lol:

The ferplast atlas mini has handles at the top each end so it's easy to carry. Even when I had 4 bunnies in it all weighing 1.5 - 1.7 kg each! They went in ok, I fed them in it every day without sliding the door shut. At the vets no bun wanted to get out but as its front opening it was relatively easy to get the right bunny out!

Back