• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rice powder in baby food OK?

rosaleen

Warren Scout
Hi:wave:
I've started Harriet on metacam for her arthritis. I've read somewhere on here previously that babyfood is a good idea for helping to administer meds. I seem to remember a particular brand was recommended but can't find it on the posts now.
Looking at the ingredients on various baby foods they all seem to have rice powder in them. Though I confess I've only just now realised I'd only looked at fruit ones, thinking they'd be the most enticing, so don't know if the others don't have rice powder.(it's too early for the shops to be open to go and check)
I've bought just one to try out but am reluctant to use it til Im really sure it's ok. I've done a search on here and on the rest of the net but haven't come up with anything useful other than that starchy foods i.e. rice, isn't meant to be good for rabbits.:shock:
I'm currently using just squashed banana but Im reluctant to give it to her on a long term basis.
Any help from more experienced bunny owners would be greatly appreciated:love:

Rabbits usually like the taste of Metacm on its own. Banana is fine to use and useful for hiding various meds in.
I've used baby food with rice in with no problems. As long as it is fruit or veg based, it should be OK - just no eggs, yogurt, cheese or meat.
You can get pure fruit puree in jars or square tubs (eg Cow & Gate apple, pear) and keep it in the fridge once opened. Several of the pouches are OK as well.

Hi:wave:
I've started Harriet on metacam for her arthritis. I've read somewhere on here previously that babyfood is a good idea for helping to administer meds. I seem to remember a particular brand was recommended but can't find it on the posts now.
Looking at the ingredients on various baby foods they all seem to have rice powder in them. Though I confess I've only just now realised I'd only looked at fruit ones, thinking they'd be the most enticing, so don't know if the others don't have rice powder.(it's too early for the shops to be open to go and check)
I've bought just one to try out but am reluctant to use it til Im really sure it's ok. I've done a search on here and on the rest of the net but haven't come up with anything useful other than that starchy foods i.e. rice, isn't meant to be good for rabbits.:shock:
I'm currently using just squashed banana but Im reluctant to give it to her on a long term basis.
Any help from more experienced bunny owners would be greatly appreciated:love:

Hi Rosaleen :wave:

I have recommended Ella's Kitchen baby food, but you can use any fruit/veg baby food and preferably organic.

In the old days we used baby food with rice powder in them, and they are OK to use. Better and with more fibre would be a pouch of baby food mixed with either some sort of recovery food or powdered/mashed pellets

https://www.ellaskitchen.co.uk

How's Harriet doing?

I have recommended Ella's Kitchen baby food, but you can use any fruit/veg baby food and preferably organic.

In the old days we used baby food with rice powder in them, and they are OK to use. Better and with more fibre would be a pouch of baby food mixed with either some sort of recovery food or powdered/mashed pellets

How's Harriet doing?

Hi Mad Max and Shimmer

Thanks so much for the information and advice it is really helpful and reassuring. I will be implementing it immediately! Re using banana; during one of my many visits to the vet, one new and apparently knowledgeable vet in the group practice had said to avoid any fruit which a rabbit would not normally have access to. So because Harriet was going through Apparently endless recurring bouts of GS I have abided by that. She gave me other useful info, none of which I had heard before.
Mad Max, you asked how H is doing? Last month she started to have what looked like another GS episode so I put her on Infacol and some Metacam (which I still had from her last episode) and that resolved the issue. I was SO pleased.
During that episode I had started to give her gently tummy rubs ( as suggested on here) with some trepidation as she'd never been given them before but she became fine with it.
What I DID notice was how full/bloated her tummy appeared to be. Once she was ok I could really feel the difference, so now every morning as a precaution, I always check her tummy. Together with all of tthat I would never have known to try Infacol without having gained the information from this wonderful site.
H continues to do well, though her sight (she came from the rescue place with a cataract in one eye) seems to be slowly deteriorating more - all checked by the vet. It certainly doesn't stop her from rushing up to me at full pelt all the time, totally disregarding moving legs and feet.
BB from seeming to be almost incapable of much exercise ( Ive said before I'm sure he was previously kept in a very small hutch given his original behaviour and demeanour) will now fully stretch up on his back legs freestanding without any support, on his huge paws for an offered treat. Though he will still only wander around a half of the room and will never go anywhere near the living room door to venture beyond, unlike H with her poor sight who'll happily explore,though thankfully in a way, not towards the garden.

Last edited:

How's Harriet doing?

Hi Mad Max and Shimmer

Thanks so much for the information and advice it is really helpful and reassuring. I will be implementing it immediately! Re using banana; during one of my many visits to the vet, one new and apparently knowledgeable vet in the group practice had said to avoid any fruit which a rabbit would not normally have access to. So because Harriet was going through Apparently endless recurring bouts of GS I have abided by that. She gave me other useful info, none of which I had heard before.
Mad Max, you asked how H is doing? Last month she started to have what looked like another GS episode so I put her on Infacol and some Metacam (which I still had from her last episode) and that resolved the issue. I was SO pleased.
During that episode I had started to give her gently tummy rubs ( as suggested on here) with some trepidation as she'd never been given them before but she became fine with it.
What I DID notice was how full/bloated her tummy appeared to be. Once she was ok I could really feel the difference, so now every morning as a precaution, I always check her tummy. Together with all of tthat I would never have known to try Infacol without having gained the information from this wonderful site.
H continues to do well, though her sight (she came from the rescue place with a cataract in one eye) seems to be slowly deteriorating more - all checked by the vet. It certainly doesn't stop her from rushing up to me at full pelt all the time, totally disregarding moving legs and feet.
BB from seeming to be almost incapable of much exercise ( Ive said before I'm sure he was previously kept in a very small hutch given his original behaviour and demeanour) will now fully stretch up on his back legs freestanding without any support, on his huge paws for an offered treat. Though he will still only wander around a half of the room and will never go anywhere near the living room door to venture beyond, unlike H with her poor sight who'll happily explore,though thankfully in a way, not towards the garden.

You're really welcome :)

Thank you for the update on H.
I know what it's like when their eyesight goes but their interest in life doesn't and they career up to you :)

Long may our bunnies surprise us x

You're really welcome :)

Thank you for the update on H.
I know what it's like when their eyesight goes but their interest in life doesn't and they career up to you :)

Long may our bunnies surprise us x
Hi Mad Max, just caught up with your post. You strike me as a very experienced rabbit person. :wave: I wonder if you have any advice /tips for reducing collisions with H that might not be immediately obvious? I always think I've 'cracked it', that I have it covered, as it were until the next time I end up with a guilt trip cos I'm sure I've caused her yet again some sort of injury as feet and bunny bash into each other. :cry:

Hi Mad Max, just caught up with your post. You strike me as a very experienced rabbit person. :wave: I wonder if you have any advice /tips for reducing collisions with H that might not be immediately obvious? I always think I've 'cracked it', that I have it covered, as it were until the next time I end up with a guilt trip cos I'm sure I've caused her yet again some sort of injury as feet and bunny bash into each other. :cry:

Thank you :wave:

Have you heard of the 'house rabbit shuffle'?

You have to move very slowly and shuffle your feet in order to protect any bunnies :)

With my blind rabbits I am especially careful and basically watch where they are going (or trying to go) and let them get there before I attempt to move!

Hi MM thanks so much for your reply. I cando the rabbit shuffle, when I remember, which isn't often enough. I'll have to work out some sort of memory aid for it. MY difficulty with Harriet is she can literally rush at me - in expectation of food even when there's none coming - and be under my foot/feet before my brain catches up. Or will suddenly dart from under the sofa at me, like an ambush. I will have to try harder!!
Hope your blind rabbits are ok

Hi MM thanks so much for your reply. I cando the rabbit shuffle, when I remember, which isn't often enough. I'll have to work out some sort of memory aid for it. MY difficulty with Harriet is she can literally rush at me - in expectation of food even when there's none coming - and be under my foot/feet before my brain catches up. Or will suddenly dart from under the sofa at me, like an ambush. I will have to try harder!!
Hope your blind rabbits are ok

You're welcome :)

It's an acquired art, but yes I do understand the rushing at you. That's difficult and requires 100% concentration. When I can't concentrate that hard, my rabbits forfeit their 24/7 free ranging for the few minutes whilst I close the door and get on with something. Usually in the kitchen!

Hi Mad Max sorry I didn’t reply sooner. Looks like you have a really good strategy. Unfortunately as both of mine reside and eat in the living room it would be difficult to shift them out, especially B.B. as they don’t respond well to that sort of thing! I don’t mind. I’m taking on board what you’ve said. by no means is the problem solved but it is definitely improving.

Back