• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Fighting Bunnies

Molly17

New Kit
Hello! So I have two baby mini lops, who are both just over 4 months old. They are brothers and have been very loving towards each other. Then out of the blue we suddenly noticed them fighting and had to tear them apart - one has had half his tail pulled off. We've separated them overnight, but need advice on how to manage this in case it happens again! They have been living indoors since we got them in August, and have spent the last 2 days in a new outdoor hutch, ready to move them outside. Tonight was supposed to be their first night outside together, but now of course we have one in and one out. I don't know if the new environment has anything to do with this? Any advice would be much appreciated :)

Welcome Molly. I'm afraid your boys are approaching puberty. Their hormones are taking over, they could be rebonded in time but I think you should separate them until post neuter (& a few additional weeks for residual hormones to ebb away)

Thanks for your advice, I think you are right. We have kept them seperate for now and they have pre neuter check up tomorrow. Hopefully they will be rebonded soon!

I'm in a similar situation Molly. I have 2 mini lops bucks that are half siblings just approaching 4 months. They started fighting on Sunday. I seperated them as one really scratched the other. I already had them booked in on tuesday for neuter so went ahead with that. The vet tried them together after op and they were fine cuddled up, grooming each other etc... Then yesterday the anaesthetic wore off they were humping each other and I felt as they are confined post neuter it could escalate to another fight and didn't want them to hurt themselves after their op. Anyway... I've decided to keep them seperate now until hormones calm down which vet said should be in a couple of months. I really hope they can be bonded back together. I'm getting conflicting advice about keeping hutches close or keep them completely seperate until I try and bond them again so I'm a bit confused what to do now!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

How was the operation for your bunnies? We have them booked in for next week, and are in a very similar situation. We've been putting them in adjacent pens but there is definitely tension between them, and one is definitely more aggressive than the other. I hope you can rebond yours soon - I'm really hoping they can be together as soon as possible, as they were so close and loving before!

They are both absolutely fine after the op. You wouldn't think they even had an operation. They were eating and moving around as soon as I got them home and now they are trying to jump out of their cages but i was told to keep then calm and not jumping/binkying for around 5 days. I wish I had them neutered earlier as they were ready, but my local vet didn't want to do it because they said they were too young. Hope the op goes well for your bunnies :)

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Back