• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Wanted: Guinea pig, middle aged/older *sorted*

Lol, there she is :love:

Lily is very very shy and nervous.

Right before o/h went to the rescue I suddenly wondered whether Mollie might like to step up and be the dominant pig and whether we should choose a more shy sow. O/h said he wasn't told much so he just ended up choosing one closest to the age we thought best. Originally we thought Lily might be quite confident because when o/h was waiting outside for his taxi home, Lily was eating hay in the carrier and didn't seem fussed by the sounds outside, and wasn't bothered by o/h taking the pictures. But once in the taxi she became nervous and here she's very scared. She hasn't even had a drink or been out of her box during the day, or acknowledged Mollie at all.

She has made some progress though from when she arrived. She will take (snatch!) fresh food from me and she is eating lots of hay. She also seems ok when I top up her hay but when I cleaned her main corner yesterday she was so scared. I think she's too scared to move to greet Mollie but she does watch her and tends to graze on hay when Mollie does. And last night, in the night when all dark and quiet, I saw her move across the cage into the second box by the divide and back again so that's good.

I hope Mollie doesn't start to get disheartened though. She's still spending lots of time by the divide and watching Lily so I hope Lily braves coming over soon.

It does appear that Mollie wants to step up and be boss though which I wasn't expecting. Probably a good job really as I don't think Lily will. But Mollie is sort of like an excited puppy and seems to be showing off a bit :lol:

Last edited:
She's made massive progress since I posted not too many hours ago. I've lifted her from the cage and she sat on the settee next to o/h whilst I cleaned her cage. She even started to eat some hay whilst sat with o/h. She had a fleece as a tent to hide in which she liked.

When I took her back to the cage and put her in, instead of freezing in the same place for over an hour like yesterday :shock: she actually went straight into the box next to the divide and looked for Mollie. Mollie came straight there and they've now said hello :D Lily did a little rumble strutting for a couple of seconds but mainly they just touched noses. They then settled there and have been grazing together, had their leafy food and slept close by each other :love: Mollie is so excited bless her :love:

Lily seems much more secure now she's right near Mollie so some lovely positive signs so far :D

Omg Lily is soooo adorable. :love:

She's so cute and fuzzy :love:

So shy though. But I've been concerned that she hasn't used her bottle yet so I decided to offer her water by syringe just to see how she responded and at first i just dipped the end in water and she licked the drops, then I moved to putting a tiny bit in and she let me syringe it so I'm so pleased. She only did it a few times but I feel better knowing she's at least had a tiny bit of water alongside what she gets from her veggies :love:

Hopefully more photos at some stage. I'm rubbish at photos but o/h always takes good ones! He wasn't even properly looking in the carrier when he took those two and they're really good!

Lily is moving around the cage now, using her bottle and she has even been 'talking' :D

U/d

Still keeping an eye out for a neutered boar now! Age isn't too important from what I've heard but in terms of energy levels, maybe 3-4yrs ish would be good.

Waiting on an email from Honeybunnies in Leicester who have some neutered boars in but need to wait for details of ages etc then hopefully I can arrange transport!

Back