• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Wanted: Guinea pig, middle aged/older *sorted*

biscandmatt1

Wise Old Thumper
We're looking for a friend for Mollie our older sow. She's 6yrs 3months old now, spayed, and has been the submissive pig in her previous pairings.

We're looking for;

Neutered boar, possibly a sow.
Middle aged to older, ideal would be 4-5yrs (this would mean we could insure) May consider another OAP 5+ though if the match is suitable.
Rescue/private rehome.

We're in Manchester.

Any questions please ask :)

Last edited:
Thank you for approving this.

We're contacting rescues as well so hopefully a suitable match will turn up. We have heard of an adult sow that may be suitable but we're leaning more towards a neutered boar being the best match for Mollie so might hold out a bit longer for one as she's doing well so far.

So a neutered boar, ideally 4-5yrs but may even go down to 3yrs or over 5yrs. Mollie is not an 'old old' type of pig although she does have some age related eye changes now, and some occasional stiffness. She has a long term inflammatory bladder condition but this is well managed and stable through medication and diet.

If anyone needs anymore info about her or our set up then please ask :wave:

I have a friend looking to rehome her piggie, Biscuit, after his friend died. He's 3.5 years. Unfortunately, not neutered though.

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...ered-male-guinea-pig-looking-for-a-new-friend

Aww, I remember commenting on him :love:

Even though Mollie is spayed, it seems to be split between people whether that matters or not so we think choosing a neutered one might be best to play it safe. If I could, I'd consider having a piggy neutered myself but we got Benjie's last vet bill today and it's a lot of money so we can't at the moment sadly.

Mollie seems a bit quiet today so I'm wondering whether we need to change tactic completely and just go local and find a pig. I ruled out a younger girl originally but it seems from reading a lot online that most people do choose a younger piggy to go with an older one, so it must work. I'm wondering if she might perk up a bit. Her best days after Benjie passed were on day 6 and 7 but that was a week ago now and I'm worried she will start to go backwards again. She's ok but maybe I need to look at all available options for at least a next door neighbour for her originally and worry about the rest as we go along.

We'd be more than happy to transport again if one needs to come from South northwards: we pretty much pass the place we exchanged Benjie every time we go to OH's parents, and we're up there at Christmas again if something falls into place :) Even if it's beforehand it's not far!

We'd be more than happy to transport again if one needs to come from South northwards: we pretty much pass the place we exchanged Benjie every time we go to OH's parents, and we're up there at Christmas again if something falls into place :) Even if it's beforehand it's not far!

That's really kind of you, thank you :)

Mollie seems bored and lonely so I think we might have to change tactic now. O/h rang a rescue today that is about 20mins away from us to discuss our situation and she actually recommended a younger sow for Mollie so maybe we're worrying about a youngster over nothing? I don't know but we feel she can't wait much longer so the lady said o/h can visit tomorrow and they'll go through our details and help select a girl they think would work with Mollie then we can bring her home to live alongside Mollie initially before we try bonding them. We didn't want to take Mollie into a rescue because we don't think she's got the personality for that and the stress of travelling and then 'dating' at her older age just seems too much, but the lady said she agrees so that's good.

So fingers crossed for tomorrow! Looks like we may end up with a match we initially didn't consider!

Mollie worried me last night because she seemed quite flat and this morning seems bored and lonely so I feel we need to just go for it. Really nervous though :shock:

I don't think a younger sow would be an issue. When we were looking I only didn't want a baby as they are so tiny and skittish!

I didn't want a tiny baby either *lily*

So we have some news.... Mollie now has a next door neighbour :D A 12month old (approx) sow who is gorgeous but very scared!

Mollie is absolutely thrilled and I cannot believe the change in her since 'new pig' arrived. She's desperate to meet her and went straight to the divide to say hello and has been regularly hanging around there and is currently sleeping there.. but 'new pig' is too scared to come over and say hello.

Never had a new pig be so still and scared :shock:

Awwww how lovely, I'm so pleased for you and Mollie :)

And, of course, photo's when available! :D

Oh how lovely. Hope 'new pig' settles in quickly and that they have a truely lovely bond!

Here she is :D :love:

jglefk.jpg

altd6x.jpg

Last edited:
Back