• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Reinforcing the floor!

supersonic

Mama Doe
I got Sonic a new hutch a few years back and made the mistake of not lino'ing it straight away. After a year or so, I got some sticky tiles from ebay, but didn't seal anything up, so urine still got underneath and it's not looking great at the moment! :oops:

LUCKILY, it's a slide out floor, so I've ordered him a new one, but I wanted to know the best way of sealing the lino? Is there some kind of rabbit friendly bathroom sealant that I could use?? Can I duct tape it??? Should I just use the same sticky tiles or should I just get one piece??

HELP! :lol:

One piece of lino would give better protection and be easier to clean as it's got fewer grooves than tiles for stuff to get stuck in. I would run it slightly up at the wall edges as well (an inch or so), so it gives a fully waterproof floor. You could use thin wood battens or metal carpet threshold strips (less chewable than wood, and neater) to fasten the edges down (up?). I suspect that duct tape would be chewed off. Double sided carpet tape may work.

Just noticed that it's a slide out floor - you would have to fit the lino to so you can still slide the tray out.

One piece of lino would give better protection and be easier to clean as it's got fewer grooves than tiles for stuff to get stuck in. I would run it slightly up at the wall edges as well (an inch or so), so it gives a fully waterproof floor. You could use thin wood battens or metal carpet threshold strips (less chewable than wood, and neater) to fasten the edges down (up?). I suspect that duct tape would be chewed off. Double sided carpet tape may work.

Just noticed that it's a slide out floor - you would have to fit the lino to so you can still slide the tray out.

I think I will go for a single piece of lino. Yeah, the slide out tray means that there's only about 2cm of 'edge', so I'm not sure how I could secure lino up it. Maybe a really thin lino? I can also imagine the rabbit getting really ****** off with things 'in his way', so I have to consider that :lol:

Will definitely look at double sided carpet tape. Thank you!

I think I will go for a single piece of lino. Yeah, the slide out tray means that there's only about 2cm of 'edge', so I'm not sure how I could secure lino up it. Maybe a really thin lino? I can also imagine the rabbit getting really ****** off with things 'in his way', so I have to consider that :lol:

Will definitely look at double sided carpet tape. Thank you!

I've used a whole pieces of lino in my hutches and also use the plastic tile edging strips to secure the edges down around where the the top of the ramp is. Don't know if that's an option for you at all.

Back