• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Please can I have some vibes for Fudgie

Fudgie has been admitted to the hospital for stasis. [emoji17]

Yesterday afternoon I noticed she wasn't right. She seemed to be in discomfort and shifting around a lot like she couldn't get comfortable. She also wasn't interested in food so I took her to the emergency vet. She was examined there and given pain relief and emperid.

There was no improvement overnight. No output and she still didn't want to eat so I syringe fed her through the night. The OHH vet said I should take her to my usual vet this morning if there was no improvement. My vet doesn't open until 9 and I couldn't wait that long. I haven't slept a wink all night as I've been so worried about her [emoji17] So I took her back to the hospital very early this morning. Worryingly, despite the gut stimulant and syringe feeds there appears to be few gut sounds and her temperature has dipped since it was taken yesterday. She's now being kept in at the hospital so she can be put on a drip and monitored more closely. The vet I saw this morning is, I think, more rabbit savvy than the one I saw yesterday. They're going to check for a blockage first to rule that out and if she doesn't respond to the initial treatment they'll do a scan of her tummy to get a better idea of what's going on. I feel a bit better that they're being more proactive with treatment now. Although that doesn't stop me worrying [emoji17]

I'm supposed to get an update between 12 and 2. Any spare vibes for Fudgie would really be appreciated.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yesterday afternoon I noticed she wasn't right. She seemed to be in discomfort and shifting around a lot like she couldn't get comfortable. She also wasn't interested in food so I took her to the emergency vet. She was examined there and given pain relief and emperid.

There was no improvement overnight. No output and she still didn't want to eat so I syringe fed her through the night. The OHH vet said I should take her to my usual vet this morning if there was no improvement. My vet doesn't open until 9 and I couldn't wait that long. I haven't slept a wink all night as I've been so worried about her [emoji17] So I took her back to the hospital very early this morning. Worryingly, despite the gut stimulant and syringe feeds there appears to be few gut sounds and her temperature has dipped since it was taken yesterday. She's now being kept in at the hospital so she can be put on a drip and monitored more closely. The vet I saw this morning is, I think, more rabbit savvy than the one I saw yesterday. They're going to check for a blockage first to rule that out and if she doesn't respond to the initial treatment they'll do a scan of her tummy to get a better idea of what's going on. I feel a bit better that they're being more proactive with treatment now. Although that doesn't stop me worrying [emoji17]

I'm supposed to get an update between 12 and 2. Any spare vibes for Fudgie would really be appreciated.

Thanks

Loads and loads of vibes coming from me and my buns Scrappy xx

And loads of hugs for you. You must exhausted.

I really hope all goes well and the vets are on the case and fixing the dear Fudge xx

So sorry to hear this, really hope that you get a good update from the vets. sending loads of vibes for you and you little bun xxx

Thanks

Oh no poor Bunny :cry: A blood glucose test would be another useful diagnostic tool for the Vet to use.

https://www.researchgate.net/public...e_of_blood_glucose_measurement_in_pet_rabbits

Sending lots of vibes xx

Sorry to hear about Fudgie, I hope you get a good update soon. Sending loads of vibes for your girl x

Last edited:
Oh no, I'm so sorry to hear about gorgeous fudgie! Bless her! :cry:

Sending lots and lots of vibes and really hope she starts showing some signs of improvement!

I can imagine the wait is awful, but fingers crossed and she's in the best place xxx

I am so sorry to read this. Sending loads of vibes for Fudgie and I hope you get a good update soon. Sending lots of hugs. You must be very tired.

Thank you very much for the vibes everyone xxx

I've only just been able to speak to the vet looking after her. Every time I phone she's been consulting.

So an update on Fudgie. Apparently she has nibbled a bit of hay which is good. Still no poo however [emoji17] I told the vet I was really worried about that as it's now been over 24 hours since she passed anything. The vet did say it can take a while for things to start passing through. I think I'm comparing her to Snoopy who bounced back and was pooing again within a few hours when he had a couple of bouts of stasis. In the meantime she's being syringe fed regularly and has been given a lot of gut meds.

Her blood glucose is borderline. She doesn't think it necessitates x rays or surgery yet but it's being closely monitored. She does get stressed easily so that might be a factor in pushing it up.

I'm going to visit her this evening and I'm going to take in some forage and herbs to try and tempt her to eat more.

Thanks again for all the vibes. Xxx

I've only just been able to speak to the vet looking after her. Every time I phone she's been consulting.

So an update on Fudgie. Apparently she has nibbled a bit of hay which is good. Still no poo however [emoji17] I told the vet I was really worried about that as it's now been over 24 hours since she passed anything. The vet did say it can take a while for things to start passing through. I think I'm comparing her to Snoopy who bounced back and was pooing again within a few hours when he had a couple of bouts of stasis. In the meantime she's being syringe fed regularly and has been given a lot of gut meds.

Her blood glucose is borderline. She doesn't think it necessitates x rays or surgery yet but it's being closely monitored. She does get stressed easily so that might be a factor in pushing it up.

I'm going to visit her this evening and I'm going to take in some forage and herbs to try and tempt her to eat more.

I hope that she will have passed some poo by the time you go to visit her. Sending her lots more vibes xx

Hopefully she will have passed some poo very soon. But I have to agree with your vet - it does take time and doesn't necessarily mean bad news.

Ongoing vibes for Fudge and strength for you x

Sending lots more hugs. Also hoping that Fudgie produces some poo soon. It's nice that you can visit.

Thank you everyone. I've just been to see her. Unfortunately she still hasn't passed anything and isn't eating for herself. They're struggling to get her temperature back up so she's in a special heated incubator. She was very subdued and didn't respond much to me. The vet did warn me that she will probably be like that as she's on opiates. I'm feeling very upset and pessimistic at the moment. I don't think she'll be coming home [emoji17][emoji17][emoji17]

Back