• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Please can I have some vibes for Fudgie

I agree that the out of the usual poo is not unusual given the last few days. I guess it can't hurt to ring your local vet & ask about fibraplex. How long before hay eating resumes seems variable too. When J&B went in to stasis last December it was a good week before input or output was anyway near normal. She definitely sounds to be making good progress though, lots of poo & happy with her feeds.

More vibes for your beautiful lady

Thanks both. [emoji3] She is doing ok this morning. She's nibbling bits which is good but I'm going to carry on topping her up with syringe feeds for now until her eating picks up a bit more. No more poo stuck to her bum this morning although her poor fur is horribly stained. I have to pop into my vet this morning anyway to pick up some more recovery food so I'll ask for some advice on her exploding bottom!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think fibreplex is a good idea, and if I had some I would've used it when my poorly bunny had an exploding bottom. I think lots of things cause this - an imbalance of gut flora due to stress is my number one thought, as the day after my bun's accident I can't tell you what happened in my front room :shock: Fortunately the work meeting I was holding that morning at my house was in another room :)

This should settle down soon and hopefully within 24 hours max ... The vet should be able to advise :)

Continued vibes. These buns need their vibes continued until they have completely and entirely left the woods xx

So I quickly spoke to my vet this morning and we've decided to hold off the fibreplex as the critical care has a lot of fibre which should sort her out. But she'd be happy to give me some if I need it. I think you're right MM, it is a lot better today. No more poo stuck to her bum and she has left a couple on the floor and they're more solid rather than a splat. I dread to think what state your poor living room was in!

She is still nibbling bits and pieces but nowhere near enough to keep her going. Although the amount she's eating has very gradually increased through the day. I've decided to syringe feed about 10 mls every four hours. I actually fill the syringe to 15 but at least five seems to dribble down her chin!

I have to say it's hard getting the balance right. I don't want to fill her up on CC to give her a chance to eat for herself, but I also want to make sure her guts keep working. She's also quite a stressy bun so i don't want to handle her too frequently in case the stress of it sets her recovery backwards.

She is passing poos. Unsurprisingly they're small and misshapen but for the time being I'm just very happy they're there.

I've finally become a convert to the having them on the floor between your legs while syringe feeding method. I never liked it before because I felt I couldn't see the mouth as well. But I found she was a lot calmer on the floor and took the feed a lot better. When I was holding her up she was throwing her head back a lot and I was getting really worried about her aspirating.

So I quickly spoke to my vet this morning and we've decided to hold off the fibreplex as the critical care has a lot of fibre which should sort her out. But she'd be happy to give me some if I need it. I think you're right MM, it is a lot better today. No more poo stuck to her bum and she has left a couple on the floor and they're more solid rather than a splat. I dread to think what state your poor living room was in!

She is still nibbling bits and pieces but nowhere near enough to keep her going. Although the amount she's eating has very gradually increased through the day. I've decided to syringe feed about 10 mls every four hours. I actually fill the syringe to 15 but at least five seems to dribble down her chin!

I have to say it's hard getting the balance right. I don't want to fill her up on CC to give her a chance to eat for herself, but I also want to make sure her guts keep working. She's also quite a stressy bun so i don't want to handle her too frequently in case the stress of it sets her recovery backwards.

She is passing poos. Unsurprisingly they're small and misshapen but for the time being I'm just very happy they're there.

I've finally become a convert to the having them on the floor between your legs while syringe feeding method. I never liked it before because I felt I couldn't see the mouth as well. But I found she was a lot calmer on the floor and took the feed a lot better. When I was holding her up she was throwing her head back a lot and I was getting really worried about her aspirating.

It sounds as though you are doing really well. Recovery from a severe episode of gut stasis can take several days of ongoing treatment. From what you have said it sounds as though Fudge is slowly hopping in the right direction xx

I am so glad she is feeling better today :)

Yes, after the meeting I went in the living room, saw the devastation, and spent a happy hour washing everything until I had to get back to work again. I had to clean up little bun's bum too, cut fur and dry it.

I'm glad you're still syringe feeding. That's what I would do :)

Misshapen poos are good. something's happening, thank goodness. And what a relief for you!

Just a quick Q ... Has this affected the bond?

Sending lots more vibes for Fudgie. I hope she is still improving.

I have found that medicating and cutting toe nails are accepted by my two much better if they are on the floor. I guess they feel they are more in control and can escape more easily (although in fact they can't).

Thanks very much everyone ❤️

MM, they're mainly ignoring each other at the moment which I have to say is better than I expected. I was concerned Snoopy might bully her or she would lash out at him because she's feeling poorly. Having said that he is definitely a lot happier in himself since she's come home. He was very down and depressed when she was at the hospital. She also seems to perk up more when he's nearby. I'm hoping they won't have major issues but I'll just have to see how things pan out.

Thanks very much everyone ❤️

MM, they're mainly ignoring each other at the moment which I have to say is better than I expected. I was concerned Snoopy might bully her or she would lash out at him because she's feeling poorly. Having said that he is definitely a lot happier in himself since she's come home. He was very down and depressed when she was at the hospital. She also seems to perk up more when he's nearby. I'm hoping they won't have major issues but I'll just have to see how things pan out.

I'm glad it's looking OK so far. I was worried about what would happen.

They are such sensitive little souls, aren't they? :love:

More recovery vibes for your little one. Fudge definitely seems on the mend - its frustrating that they get ill so quickly but can take their time getting up to full force again. Are you still foraging for your buns?

That's so true J&B! It's really weird though because when she catches me watching her nibbling at stuff she immediately stops. I don't think she realises the more I see her eat the fewer syringe feeds she'll have to put up with!

The only thing I'm really foraging at the moment is brambles. It's weird because she doesn't seem to really want them or fresh herbs as much. It's mainly bits of hay and readigrass she's nibbling on. Complete opposite to what you'd expect from a sick bunny. Then again she has always preferred hay to greens.

I haven't seen her drink any water today so I syringed her some during the last feed. I know they get some hydration from the cc mix but I'm not sure if it's enough to keep the gut hydrated.

That's so true J&B! It's really weird though because when she catches me watching her nibbling at stuff she immediately stops. I don't think she realises the more I see her eat the fewer syringe feeds she'll have to put up with!

The only thing I'm really foraging at the moment is brambles. It's weird because she doesn't seem to really want them or fresh herbs as much. It's mainly bits of hay and readigrass she's nibbling on. Complete opposite to what you'd expect from a sick bunny. Then again she has always preferred hay to greens.

I haven't seen her drink any water today so I syringed her some during the last feed. I know they get some hydration from the cc mix but I'm not sure if it's enough to keep the gut hydrated.

Have you brought some gut motility meds home with you at all? Or pain relief?

Hi both, thanks so much for asking.

Well we had a bit of a breakthrough last night. I was giving Snoopy his treat and she hasn't been reacting to the rustling of the bag like she normally does but last night she came running over for a treat. Really didn't expect that. She only ate a bit of it but I found that enthusiasm very encouraging. She then had a bit of dill. She's only managing to eat little bits at a time so I'm still topping her up with syringe feeds. However she does seem brighter and is showing more interest in food. Her poos are also looking a bit better.

Snoopy has been interacting with her more without any problems. Last night she was her in her favourite spot in the living room (she's been sleeping in the litter tray a lot up until now) and Snoopy happily sat close to her. I'm trying to gauge how she's feeling by how they interact with each other and whether she's starting to go back to her normal routines.

I think it's going to be a slow road to recovery but there's sparks of encouragement that she's heading in the right direction. In the meantime I just need to be patient, make sure she has food, meds and plenty of peace and quiet to rest.

MM, I actually have this week off work but I do work from home so I'll still be able to carry on looking after her next week.

Well we had a bit of a breakthrough last night. I was giving Snoopy his treat and she hasn't been reacting to the rustling of the bag like she normally does but last night she came running over for a treat. Really didn't expect that. She only ate a bit of it but I found that enthusiasm very encouraging. She then had a bit of dill. She's only managing to eat little bits at a time so I'm still topping her up with syringe feeds. However she does seem brighter and is showing more interest in food. Her poos are also looking a bit better.

Snoopy has been interacting with her more without any problems. Last night she was her in her favourite spot in the living room (she's been sleeping in the litter tray a lot up until now) and Snoopy happily sat close to her. I'm trying to gauge how she's feeling by how they interact with each other and whether she's starting to go back to her normal routines.

I think it's going to be a slow road to recovery but there's sparks of encouragement that she's heading in the right direction. In the meantime I just need to be patient, make sure she has food, meds and plenty of peace and quiet to rest.

MM, I actually have this week off work but I do work from home so I'll still be able to carry on looking after her next week.

Well things sound to be gradually improving and I hope it wont be too long til Fudgie is 100% back to normal xx

That's a relief and a blessing. It's awful when you *have* to leave the house and you've no idea what you will come home to find.

I am so glad she is showing some good signs.

I do know that slow road to recovery ... lots of hopeful and inspiring vibes for you three xx

Back