• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding and neutering

Petrus82

New Kit
Hi everyone,

I have two netherland dwarf rabbits (brother and sister but living separately right now). The male is being neutered next week and the female will be neutered early next year. Once the male is neutered can I start the bonding process or should I wait until the female is neutered too?

Hi everyone,

I have two netherland dwarf rabbits (brother and sister but living separately right now). The male is being neutered next week and the female will be neutered early next year. Once the male is neutered can I start the bonding process or should I wait until the female is neutered too?

Yes you can begin the bonding process when the male is neutered. Though remember that he will still be fertile for up to 4 weeks from castration. You might also want to wait an additional couple of weeks, as in very rare cases the fertile period can last up to 6 weeks post castrate.

Some may say that it's best to wait until the female is spayed, but in my experience this isn't necessary. I don't know how old your rabbits are, but certainly if they are young I would castrate the male, wait the time, and then put them together. I have never had an issue with this.

I had a two year old neutered boy,he was introduced to a young female (10 weeks).They bonded in a few days,she was submissive to him and he was a laid back boy.She did ahem..try and get frisky with him when her hormones kicked in .Literally throwing herself at him and spraying him and me! with pee.However they were a loved up pair and when she was spayed she jumped out of the cage I was trying to keep her in nice and quiet a few hours after her op to get to him and lie beside him.I let her be with him ,she was happier.Sadly both now bridge buns,I miss them they were called Rio and Cleo.

I had a two year old neutered boy,he was introduced to a young female (10 weeks).They bonded in a few days,she was submissive to him and he was a laid back boy.She did ahem..try and get frisky with him when her hormones kicked in .Literally throwing herself at him and spraying him and me! with pee.However they were a loved up pair and when she was spayed she jumped out of the cage I was trying to keep her in nice and quiet a few hours after her op to get to him and lie beside him.I let her be with him ,she was happier.Sadly both now bridge buns,I miss them they were called Rio and Cleo.

Thank you both for the reply. The male is just about six months and the female is 8 weeks.

Bonding neutered male to geriatric unspayed female

I was very interested to read the comments here as I am now in a quandary following some advice on a different forum. I have only just found your site. The situation is that I have Bella who is a 7 year old un-spayed female (not spayed for various reasons when she was little). I have been researching getting her a friend for months and finally found Aaron who is a mini lop so a little smaller than Bella. He was neutered 3 weeks ago so I have them living in separate hutches on opposite sides of a secure fence in the run outside (each has around a 12ft by 10ft area).

I was going to leave it another 6 weeks before trying to introduce on neutral ground and so was about to start the next phase of swapping bedding/runs etc.

But on the other forum I was asking for advice on next steps and someone said I should under no circumstances try to introduce them as she is un-spayed. They said they will definitely fight and hurt each other in weeks or months to come even if they appear to bond at the start.

I am now completely in a tizzy and just don't know what to do. They could live separately but the whole reason for getting Aaron was for Bella.

Can anyone help or am I doomed to having two lonely bunnies now :-(

Last edited:
I was very interested to read the comments here as I am now in a quandary following some advice on a different forum. I have only just found your site. The situation is that I have Bella who is a 7 year old un-spayed female (not spayed for various reasons when she was little). I have been researching getting her a friend for months and finally found Aaron who is a mini lop so a little smaller than Bella. He was neutered 3 weeks ago so I have them living in separate hutches on opposite sides of a secure fence in the run outside (each has around a 12ft by 10ft area).

I was going to leave it another 6 weeks before trying to introduce on neutral ground and so was about to start the next phase of swapping bedding/runs etc.

But on the other forum I was asking for advice on next steps and someone said I should under no circumstances try to introduce them as she is un-spayed. They said they will definitely fight and hurt each other in weeks or months to come even if they appear to bond at the start.

I am now completely in a tizzy and just don't know what to do. They could live separately but the whole reason for getting Aaron was for Bella.

Can anyone help or am I doomed to having two lonely bunnies now :-(

Welcome to the forum Bella :wave:

I'm thinking it would be a better idea that you begin a new thread in the forum.

That way Petrus gets to keep theirs and you get one that folk can post replies to ... :)

Back