• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunnies fighting

I have 2 boy mini lop bunnies who are half brothers and have been together since birth. I was worried they would fight when I found they were 2 boys but told it would be ok and get them neutered as soon as possible. I've been backwards and forwards to the vets trying to get them neutered as 1 has been displaying behaviour that he is ready. Vet is insistent they are not ready as they are too small. They like to wait until 4 months and they are just over 3months. Well today they had a fight and scratched each other. I've separated them but they can still see each other and be close. They haven't tried to fight again. I rang a vet that I could see has lots of rabbit owner recommendations and they said I can get them neutered on Tuesday to help things. They said it sounds like my vet is inexperienced with rabbits as they will do it from when they r ready not dependant on age. But my question really is will they ever bond back together after this? Am i making it worse seperating them? Should I keep them seperated or should i put them back together? We are going away in 3 weeks so I have them booked into Bunny boarding together, will they be ok by then after the neuter or do I need to see if she has space for 2. How long does it take for hormones to calm after neuter? Will they be so lonely to live alone if they don't get on. They currently look so sad, but i dont want to risk another fight. I'm so upset by all of this and feel awful. Sorry I hope you don't mind all the questions.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

As they have had a fight I personally would separate them and wait until they area little bit older to have them neutered. Then you will need to wait for a couple of months before re-bonding them. There is no guarantee that they will not fight again though, but you may be lucky. There are some members on here who have boys living happily together. Unfortunately rabbits don't always do what we would like them to do and some breeders or pet shops give people the wrong advice and, as you have just experienced, this can be very upsetting for owners and rabbits. I always say to people that 2 boys will almost always fight at around 14 weeks.

Thank you for getting back to me. Sorry for my lengthy message I was a bit upset! I did go ahead and have them neutered and they have made a very quick recovery although i'm trying to stop them jumping for a few days. The vet did try them together again and they didn't fight they cuddled up, but when I got them home and they recovered from the anathestic they started getting a bit cross with each other again so keeping them seperate until hormones have calmed down. I will see how they are in a month or 2 and try and bond them.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Back