• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

New rabbit care, so many questions

rabbiteroo

New Kit
HELP :cry:

I brought home a new rabbit yesterday. I named him Wee, an 8-months old male lionhead. I saw him online so I didn't know what state he was actually in. He was in a cardboard box when I met up with his previous owner so I didn't bother to open the box. Besides, he was obviously shaking real bad so I thought it was best to minimize exposure for him.

So here are the problems that came about:

1. When we got home and I took him out of the box, I saw that his entire bum was covered in matted fur. I don't think brushing it off will do. He has some on his sides and around the eyes, but those were minimal. Should I shave off his bum?

2. His paws were also yellow, looked like urine got stuck there. I should probably give him a bath. Can I do it after or before whatever I do (shave or comb) regarding his matted fur?

3. He hasn't been eating since last night (I just gave him grass). Today I bought pellets and veggies for him (previous owner said his main diet was pellets so I reckoned he would eat those). Nope, he didn't. I'm hoping by tomorrow he starts to eat as this may just be due to the new environment. How long should I wait before I go to the vet?

4. I also have a female New Zealand bunny, Croc. She hasn't been spayed yet. When I tried to introduce them, Wee immediately humped her. WE kept them apart since then in their own cages. But earlier, Wee got loose and went near Croc's cage. She seemed frightened and was making weird noises. Even acted aggressive towards Wee. Is there any hope of their being friends without having to spay her or neuter him? If I do go to the vet, can it just be one of them?

The vet is awfully expensive where i'm at. And I didn't have so much problems when I got my first bunn.I'm hoping all goes well with Wee so we can all play around soon! :oops:

- The Bunn Mom

Sorry this is just a quick response, but has the rabbit eaten anything since you have got him? Has he pooped at all?
He needs to eat, but if he hasn't pooped he needs to see a vet
Do not give him a bath, the bum area will need to be trimmed

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

He ate some of the veggies, very tiny amount of it. I saw tiny droppings, the side of tiny beads, much smaller than what I think bunny poop should be.

What can I do for his paws if I shouldn't give him a bath?

Thank you!

He ate some of the veggies, very tiny amount of it. I saw tiny droppings, the side of tiny beads, much smaller than what I think bunny poop should be.

What can I do for his paws if I shouldn't give him a bath?

Thank you!

Definitely do not bath him.

If you allow him access to your Doe you will end up with a pregnant Doe................

If Wee is not eating and hardly pooing and it has been that way since yesterday then he needs to be seen by a Vet today. If a Rabbit does not eat for just a few hours their GI tract motility slows down and eventually stops altogether-'Gut Stasis'

http://anyflip.com/dvpt/hzvv

If Wee has only ever been feed pellets then he may well have Dental problems (this can also cause runny eyes). A Rabbit's diet should consist of 80%-90% hay.

http://www.therabbithouse.com/diet/

It sounds as though Wee will need to have his fur clipped, but as he is not eating I think the most important thing right now is to get a Vet to take a look at him. I hope the poor guy will be OK x

Have you got plenty of hay for him? What kind of accommodation is he in? As long as you have something absorbent on the floor this will help his paws and bunnies will clean his own paws, please don't bath him.

This is obviously all very new for him and he's probably very scared. Please consider taking him to the vet as they will help xx

Thank you for the links and advice. I'll get him to the vet first thing in the morning! (It's already evening where I'm at.)

Have you got plenty of hay for him? What kind of accommodation is he in? As long as you have something absorbent on the floor this will help his paws and bunnies will clean his own paws, please don't bath him.

This is obviously all very new for him and he's probably very scared. Please consider taking him to the vet as they will help xx

Unfortunately, it's really hard to get hay from where I am. I have to have it shipped and it's all too costly. I give them napier grass as alternative.

I'll get fleece in his cage as soon as I get home. And get him to the vet soon. Thank you!

Are the pellets you've brought for him, the same as what he had previously, or complelty new?

If possible you need to try and get the same as what he was on as their stomachs are so delicate when they are young. What veggies have you given him?

How's he doing now? Has he pooped and eaten anything more? He is drinking too?

Are the pellets you've brought for him, the same as what he had previously, or complelty new?

If possible you need to try and get the same as what he was on as their stomachs are so delicate when they are young. What veggies have you given him?

How's he doing now? Has he pooped and eaten anything more? He is drinking too?

They're new, but only because the store that sells the old ones are closed and the previous owner assured me that the ones I bought are fine. >.<

I bought lettuces. He munched on them and then left them alone. I had someone check on him about an hour ago and he still hasn't eaten more. I might go back home to check in on him in an hour.

I won't be able to take him to the vet until about 10-12 more hours, though :| Is there any measures that I can do while I can't get him to the vet yet?

I'm afraid not sorry, if he's not eating.. He really needs to go to the vet. Surely you have an out of hours vet available?

If you are unable to, could someone else take him? He might be in quite abit of pain now too if statis has started! :(

Do you know anyone else who has hay, or could you get some of his old pellets off his old owner?

HELP :cry:

I brought home a new rabbit yesterday. I named him Wee, an 8-months old male lionhead. I saw him online so I didn't know what state he was actually in. He was in a cardboard box when I met up with his previous owner so I didn't bother to open the box. Besides, he was obviously shaking real bad so I thought it was best to minimize exposure for him.

So here are the problems that came about:

1. When we got home and I took him out of the box, I saw that his entire bum was covered in matted fur. I don't think brushing it off will do. He has some on his sides and around the eyes, but those were minimal. Should I shave off his bum?

2. His paws were also yellow, looked like urine got stuck there. I should probably give him a bath. Can I do it after or before whatever I do (shave or comb) regarding his matted fur?

3. He hasn't been eating since last night (I just gave him grass). Today I bought pellets and veggies for him (previous owner said his main diet was pellets so I reckoned he would eat those). Nope, he didn't. I'm hoping by tomorrow he starts to eat as this may just be due to the new environment. How long should I wait before I go to the vet?

4. I also have a female New Zealand bunny, Croc. She hasn't been spayed yet. When I tried to introduce them, Wee immediately humped her. WE kept them apart since then in their own cages. But earlier, Wee got loose and went near Croc's cage. She seemed frightened and was making weird noises. Even acted aggressive towards Wee. Is there any hope of their being friends without having to spay her or neuter him? If I do go to the vet, can it just be one of them?

The vet is awfully expensive where i'm at. And I didn't have so much problems when I got my first bunn.I'm hoping all goes well with Wee so we can all play around soon! :oops:

- The Bunn Mom

Hi there and welcome to the Forum :wave:

As Ruthy has said, don't give him a bath. You can, however, put him into about a half inch of warm water with all four paws in upright, and swish the water around so that it cleans him. But as you say, for the matted back end, best to shave.

Unless you want baby rabbits, please keep the unneutered male and unspayed doe apart. I am assuming because of the condition you got him in that the previous owners won't have neutered him?

I would personally want him to see a vet asap. If he's not eating then it's a passport to disaster as rabbits need to keep their guts moving.

There's some info in these articles about bunnies and not eating, but it's not a substitute for a good vet check:

http://anyflip.com/dvpt/hzvv/basic

http://rabbit.org/gastrointestinal-stasis-the-silent-killer-2/

As a temporary measure, if you can get ahold of any Infacol or other infant gas meds, you could give that. The dose for Inafacol is one ml for the first three doses, one hour apart. Then you can give three doses per day:

Infacol.co.uk

Good luck xx

I'm afraid not sorry, if he's not eating.. He really needs to go to the vet. Surely you have an out of hours vet available?

If you are unable to, could someone else take him? He might be in quite abit of pain now too if statis has started! :(

Do you know anyone else who has hay, or could you get some of his old pellets off his old owner?

I just went back home to check on him and he seems fine! :D I got him to eat slices of apple. And he started pooping and peeing everywhere. I covered my female's cage so they won't see each other and I think that helped make him less focused on her.

His old owner lives a ways off and no one I know has hay (at all). Sounds like a total tragedy, right? T_T

I have someone with him now so hopefully we can watch his bowel and activity throughout the night until we can get him to the vet.

He's flopping and running around now so I'm hoping he should be all good for now! :D

Hi there and welcome to the Forum :wave:

As Ruthy has said, don't give him a bath. You can, however, put him into about a half inch of warm water with all four paws in upright, and swish the water around so that it cleans him. But as you say, for the matted back end, best to shave.

Unless you want baby rabbits, please keep the unneutered male and unspayed doe apart. I am assuming because of the condition you got him in that the previous owners won't have neutered him?

I would personally want him to see a vet asap. If he's not eating then it's a passport to disaster as rabbits need to keep their guts moving.

There's some info in these articles about bunnies and not eating, but it's not a substitute for a good vet check:

http://anyflip.com/dvpt/hzvv/basic

http://rabbit.org/gastrointestinal-stasis-the-silent-killer-2/

As a temporary measure, if you can get ahold of any Infacol or other infant gas meds, you could give that. The dose for Inafacol is one ml for the first three doses, one hour apart. Then you can give three doses per day:

Infacol.co.uk

Good luck xx

Thank you!

I'll do what you suggested about the half-bath! :D

I've covered the female for now. I'll get Wee neutered by the end of the month. Hopefully, that helps in their being friends.

He seems fine for now, we'll see a vet in the morning.

Thank you!

I'll do what you suggested about the half-bath! :D

I've covered the female for now. I'll get Wee neutered by the end of the month. Hopefully, that helps in their being friends.

He seems fine for now, we'll see a vet in the morning.

You're welcome :)

All good!

Don't forget that males remain fertile for up to 4 weeks post castration, and in very unusual circumstances up to 6 weeks. So you will still have to separate for that length of time :)

You're welcome :)

All good!

Don't forget that males remain fertile for up to 4 weeks post castration, and in very unusual circumstances up to 6 weeks. So you will still have to separate for that length of time :)

I'm learning that patience is a skill, not just a virtue, when dealing with the little bunns :D But all worth it! haha

I just went back home to check on him and he seems fine! :D I got him to eat slices of apple. And he started pooping and peeing everywhere.
I have someone with him now so hopefully we can watch his bowel and activity throughout the night until we can get him to the vet.

He's flopping and running around now so I'm hoping he should be all good for now! :D
That is excellent news, a rabbit that is eating and pooping is on the road to recovery

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Back