• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Indoor bunnies digging - help!

lawz85

New Kit
I have 2 indoor bunnies, both dwarf (sisters). They have just turned 4 years old, I have had them since they were approx 3/4 months old. They have both been spayed and have been indoor rabbits since we got them. They have a large room to run about in, they are not closed up at all and have basically taken over our spare room. One of them constantly chases the other for no reason; if she's eating, drinking, just sitting there, the other one will chase her or lunge at her and then take her spot. The one that is being chased is constantly digging and is causing major problems. She is doing this continuously throughout the day and night. Her nails are not long but she is digging at: the carpet, the blanket I put down to cover the carpet, the lino I put under the blanket to stop her digging through to the carpet again, the newspaper in their poop tray, and finally today a new one of standing up and trying to claw at the wallpaper higher up (they have already eaten all the easy to reach stuff). I believe the problem is the 1 doing the chasing is also the one "having fun" with the other one - no idea why but understand this can happen with 2 girl bunnies. I think this is then causing the 1 on the receiving end to think she's pregnant and needs to make a nest.

Basically we're at the end of our tether - I am at work all day but my bf is at home trying to work but is constantly having to get up and stop her digging. I fully understand this is what rabbits do. I have tried introducing new toys, keeping them entertained, digging boxes, moving things about, spraying/rubbing stuff, shouting, clapping, saying no, everything I can think of or that any forums suggest. I have had rabbits before but these 2 seem to be in a league of their own:shock:. This has been going on for almost as long as I've had them - spaying them has made no difference to their behaviour.

I absolutely adore them but at this point I cannot think of any alternatives other than having them put up for adoption with a rescue center. This idea absolutely break my heart and I'm welling up even thinking about it:cry: I have considered caging them, but the main reason why they aren't is because one chased the other so much for the first few days we had them I really thought that she would injure or even kill the other. The other alternative is to put them outside - but again this would be in a small cage (even a 2 tiered one), which I don't think is particularly suitable anyway and again, I would be worrying all day and night that 1 is chasing and biting the other.

Has anyone got any other suggestions, ideas or options? I really cannot see any other options other than adoption.

Last edited:
Could you split the room with dog panels so they can still see each other but one won't be chased and see if the one not being chased calms down and doesn't dig as much?

Thank you for your reply :)

They were born together and have lived together all their lives. Possibly they are not "bonded" as they should be as when I got them they didn't have a cage, so there was a bit of a dominance from one establishing her place in the new cage/area? 1 does not chase the other all the time but I will see if we can move the room about and try a trial separation.

Is it usual for rabbits that have been spayed to demonstrate such hormonal behaviors after all this time?

Some spayed females can be incredibly dominant.

Personally I wouldn't separate them. It doesn't sound like they're causing injury to each other.

Have they had a vet examination? One may be feeling ill and the other is taking advantage of the fact.

I'd strongly consider reducing their space to 60sqft for a short time (few weeks) and using Pet Remedy which is an antistress pheromone.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I have a female that is a complete nightmare for digging. They have their own bunny room which has a carpet floor and each corner has been chewed and if she ever finds an edge I'm done for...

I ended up purchasing some manor housing which is quite heavy and study, or use heavy door stops on each of the corners and I have found my girlie is much better.. where you do find they are digging?

Also have you checked both bunnies are healthy, as this can be a sign of digging and maybe the reason why they aren't getting on? xxx

Thank you! I'm glad someone else has experienced dominant spayed female bunnies, most online forums and guides say that spaying should almost stop this altogether. Thought I was going mad :lol:

After a lot of moving around of their room and their hidey box, touch wood they've been a bit better. Although I strongly suspect that this is because I've moved their box from the nice comfy blanket to the concrete flag stones and put some straw/hay down instead. They really do not like anyone messing with their organised system :lol::love:

They've been to the vets at least a couple of times a year for their mani/pedi (I do not feel confident doing this myself!) and they have always said they appear happy and healthy.

The digging one seems to dig at the edge of the blanket that I put down in a vain attempt to protect what's left of the carpet, so maybe if it's still continuing I'll have to move this too and they'll just have to suffer without it :roll:

Back