• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Chasing and guarding during bonding

LarryMolly

Warren Scout
Hi all, Molly and Indy have been living together for just over a week. Their bond was quite straightforward, no fighting, a few lunges but mostly straight into grooming and snuggling.

I'd started increasing their space a little bit and I put in a large litter box and 2 hidey houses. Since the weekend Molly has started guarding the litter box and chasing Indy. It was happening more and more so I've removed the litter box and hidey houses and made their space a bit smaller. At the moment there is lots of chasing, she won't let him just be, everywhere he goes she chases her out. She isn't attacking him at the moment and he's not retaliating.

All the grooming and snuggling has stopped. I actually think Mollys behaviour might be caused by Indy not grooming her when she asks but I can't be 100% sure.

Is there anything I can be doing to break this cycle they seem to be in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are they both neutered? If not, some of the behaviour could be hormonal.
Chasing is fairly normal. Sometimes there may be a bit of fur lost. I would leave them to stabilise for a while (as long as there is no proper fighting) as it's only been a week, or if it looks as though Indy isn't coping well, then go back a step with the bonding (which is what you seem to be doing). It may just take a few weeks to settle down, and every change brings a new challenge. Take it slow and keep an eye on them. Leave them to it unless they are really fighting or one is too stressed (eg not eating).

Yes both neutered over a year ago. Thanks for this, I'll keep keeping an eye in case Indy decides he's had enough. How soon do you recommend increasing space? I'm never sure how big or small of an area they should be in.

It sounds as though you perhaps increased their space too quickly and putting in the hidey houses lead to possessiveness and therefore made things worse. This is a lay person's point of view, mind you, as I'm no bonding expert. If it were me I think I would leave things exactly as they are for at least a week, but keeping a very close eye on them.

Last edited:
Thank you. I think I probably did that. I live and learn! So their space has been reduced to a 5x2 which I know is small but is that an ok size for bonding?

That size is fine in my opinion. I tend to wait until there has been 3 days without any dominant signs then increase by 1ft roughly. Once you have room to, you can put in two litter trays at different ends of the pens so there is no bickering over the tray.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Thank you, that's a really good guide. So far since decreasing their space they've been getting on really well so if it remains like this for 3 days I'll increase by a foot. And really good idea on the litter tray as well. I'll definitely do this. Thanks a lot.

Back