• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Runny eyes following dental burring?

skipper102

New Kit
Hello, I was hoping for some advice from fellow owners about our 18 month old Netherland Dwarf, Heidi. I'm starting to have a few doubts about our local vets and I want to check some opinions before I return again.

She has been in perfect health so far, but following her two summer vaccinations they noticed some maloccusion inwards in her lower teeth. Having given it a month and insisting two of the vets check it they suggested she needed them burring, so we reluctantly agreed. On the day I was concerned how busy they were, and they only started late on, switching from a planned anasthetic to medium sedation as she was so well behaved. So far so good, and they were very happy to discharge her straight away with a follow up check a few days later.

However, two things have been odd subsequently:

- Heidi was not herself at all for 3 or 4 days, we know her very well as she lives in the lounge - it felt like she was a bit traumatised. Eating / pooing was fine, it was just not what the Vets had suggested would be the reaction.

- Now, 7 days later, she is perfectly happy and bouncy, eating and running, but her eyes are running on both sides. I've read up on tear duct blockage reasons but I can't link it to lower dental surgery.

We're going to take her back to be checked (visual, xray if necessary I suppose) in the next few days but I've just felt a but suspicious, like something has gone wrong, and there is nothing like this on the forums I've searched. Does anyone have any ideas what could have happened? An infection? Have they been too rough with her?

Thanks for any tips or advice!

Heidi's family

So sorry, only just seen that this post needed moderation. Bumping for the OP. :wave:

Hello, I was hoping for some advice from fellow owners about our 18 month old Netherland Dwarf, Heidi. I'm starting to have a few doubts about our local vets and I want to check some opinions before I return again.

She has been in perfect health so far, but following her two summer vaccinations they noticed some maloccusion inwards in her lower teeth. Having given it a month and insisting two of the vets check it they suggested she needed them burring, so we reluctantly agreed. On the day I was concerned how busy they were, and they only started late on, switching from a planned anasthetic to medium sedation as she was so well behaved. So far so good, and they were very happy to discharge her straight away with a follow up check a few days later.

- Heidi was not herself at all for 3 or 4 days, we know her very well as she lives in the lounge - it felt like she was a bit traumatised. Eating / pooing was fine, it was just not what the Vets had suggested would be the reaction.

- Now, 7 days later, she is perfectly happy and bouncy, eating and running, but her eyes are running on both sides. I've read up on tear duct blockage reasons but I can't link it to lower dental surgery.

We're going to take her back to be checked (visual, xray if necessary I suppose) in the next few days but I've just felt a but suspicious, like something has gone wrong, and there is nothing like this on the forums I've searched. Does anyone have any ideas what could have happened? An infection? Have they been too rough with her?

Heidi's family

Hello

'Runny eyes' can occur due to Dental problems and even though you say that it was the lower molars that were burred it may still be possible for the upper molars to be causing problems- ie the roots are elongated. Unfortunately this is a relatively common problem in Nethies, especially those who are very brachycephalic ('flat nosed'). As you have mentioned, skull radiographs are the only way to assess the tooth roots.

However, it could be that your Rabbit's eyes were not sufficiently lubricated during the GA. Rabbit's eyes remain open when they are sedated and unless a lubricant gel is applied the corneas can become irritated. This can set of an infection/runny eyes and in extreme cases corneal ulcers. Also, some Rabbits may actually react badly to the preservative in the lubricant.

A bit more info on these links:

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Eye_diseases/Differential/Runny_eyes.htm

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/DacrocystitisRabbit.htm

If you are having doubts about your current Vet then there may be some alternative recommendations on these links

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/ve...s-that-have-been-recommended-by-rabbit-owners

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-care-advice/rabbit-friendly-vets/rabbit-friendly-vet-list/

Or you could start another thread in Rabbit Chat entitled 'Rabbit Savvy Vet Needed in *Insert geographical location* '

Heidi's family

Hi there skipper and welcome to the Forum :wave:

You are right, dental burring is not normally linked to lower dental surgery. I do feel your vet was good to give sedation rather than a full GA, but there again it depends on what the sedation was. Also, if an analgesic such as Buprenorphine was given then I would expect the outcome you had when she felt a bit out of it for a time afterwards.

Runny eyes can be caused by elongated tooth roots. You are not going to be able to do much about them, and they wouldn't usually suddenly cause the problem you describe. However, I've noticed this when rabbits' immune systems are lowered. If she had two vaccinations and a dental within a few months then it's possible that you're seeing a lowered immune response. You could try giving something like echinacea to boost her up?

https://www.baldwins.co.uk/baldwins-echinacea-angustifolia-herbal-fluid-extract

You can use a herbal tincture as above, or open a capsule. Try to avoid a tincture which contains alcohol.

There's some info on runny eyes here:

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Eye_diseases/Differential/Runny_eyes.htm

I would bathe the eyes in cooled boiled water three times daily for a couple of days.

You may not have any cause for concern with your vet, but if you don't have confidence in them, perhaps you could shop around a bit?

If you want to find a good vet in your area then you can start another thread in Rabbit Chat with the header:

Rabbit Savvy Vet needed in (your location)

...and members will help you out with their recommendations.

Had you rung the vet and told them of your concerns and her weepy eye?

Back