• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Blankets in Hutches?

Beapig

Mama Doe
Hello everyone :wave:

Now that my little Beatrice is feeling better from her spay her hutch is back outside again. She has a snugglesafe in her hutch which she's really liking. I'm just conscious, because she's a little thing and has only been living outside permanently for a month (we got her from someone living in a flat) that she might be more susceptible to the cold. I think her coat is fluffing up, and we are planning to bond her with Ham in a month's time in their new, larger outdoor accomodation, so I'm hoping he will keep her warm too.

I'm just wondering if it would be okay to put a fleece blanket or something similar in her sleeping area of the hutch, for her to snuggle under? I have had her on my lap in bed sometimes and she seems really at home under a duvet! I wonder if she would appreciate the extra warmth. She's clearly litter trained from her old home so never poops or pees in her bedding area (which is currently just hay and the snugglesafe). I was even wondering if something like one of those fleece cat igloo beds would work?

Any advice is appreciated, thank you :love:

Bumping this up incase anyone can help me...I'm thinking of getting one of these to go inside the sleeping compartment of Beatrice's hutch:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ME-MY-PETS-SOFT-BROWN-FLEECE-CAT-KITTEN-DOG-PUPPY-IGLOO-PET-BED-WARM-HOUSE-POD-/262876100466?hash=item3d34a2f772:g:m14AAOSwWxNYtu8o

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Soft-Grey-Warm-Igloo-Bed-For-Pet-Cat-Kitten-Dog-Puppy-Plush-Cave-House-Mat-Snug-/332008463329?hash=item4d4d3f1be1:g:OVEAAOSwnbZYCNzb

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ME-MY-LUXURY-SUPER-SOFT-CAT-DOG-IGLOO-BOX-PET-BED-WARM-HOUSE-CUBE-PUPPY-KITTEN-/331409381522?hash=item4d2989d892:g:QzsAAOSwDNdVmuKe

Maybe it is excessive, but as I got her from someone living in a flat and she's only had a month or so outdoors so far I don't want it to be a nasty shock. As she is litter trained from being in a flat she seems to have carried this through to her new home and only poops in one place. My only worry is, could she eat the fabric and make herself ill? Would love advice from anyone else who may have used a cat igloo as a rabbit bed.

Aw those are cute! I've found it very much depends on the rabbit.

Our indoor bun has a dog bed, although he tends to snuggle next to it and not inside it. He hasn't even attempted to destroy it or anything though. I have one outdoor bun (well she's in a shed) who would love something like this but our others would probably try and chew it. I probably wouldn't bother with a blanket, maybe vet bed, although mine chew that too.

I don't think an igloo would do any harm, as long as you keep an eye. But others may think differently x

Last edited:
Hay is a really good insulator. If it is fluffed up and there is a Snugglesafe pad (or 2) under it, she should be fine.

I put hay and a snuggle safe in a hide, then he has a fleece blanket somewhere in his upstairs hutch which usually is at the bottom of the ramp in the morning, he just plays with it

I bought 3 of the cat igloos for my bunnies, they ate, chewed and weed in them. Lasted less than a week and I had to throw them all away. I use a plastic dog bed with hay now - which they eat, chew and wee in!

Thanks for the advice everyone! Sounds like it could potentially be a waste of money then, if they just get chewed up and destroyed. Beatrice probably wouldn't be so destructive but Ham would most likely make a mess of it in the space of a day! Extra hay and snuggle safes on cold nights seems a good idea :)

Any kind of fabric gets the wee and teeth treatment from my four.

The best way to keep her warm is to get her a friend to snuggle up to.

I bought a cat igloo for my house buns. Pip loves to dig in there, but never sleeps in it.

I found if I put it in their pen she kept weeing in it to "claim" it, even though she's spayed. If its in the room but not their pen she doesn't wee in it!

I wouldn't leave them alone with it in case she decided to have a chewathon session.
I would recommend the lots of hay option for your bun.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Back