• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Reluctant move outside.

Milo2015

Warren Scout
Hi,

I know it is definitely the wrong time of year but I was wondering if anyone had put their indoor rabbits outside this late in the year?

They will be moving to 6 x4 shed with 9X6 foot aviary attached. The shed will have electricity which will power an oil filled radiator, they will have snuggle safes, a light, a hutch filled with hay in the aviary, a dog crate (door off) filled with hay inside the shed covered with a duvet, the shed will be insulated with therma wrap and covered in correx, there is lino on the floor. The windows are meshed but will have clear tarp on the outside and at night fleece curtains.

The heater will be on all the time with the wires secured behind the correx.

They currently live in an unheated room with the windows open. They must go outside because I rent and they have done too much damage.

Has any one done this? Any advice?

In my view they will be fine. I can't imagine that the temperature in the two locations is very different, but to confirm that you could check with a thermometer. The temperature hasn't been dropping very far yet at night in the South and you also seem to have arranged for quite a lot of additional things to ensure that they will keep warm. I'm also presuming that there are two of them and it's amazing just how much they will keep each other warm.

In my view they will be fine. I can't imagine that the temperature in the two locations is very different, but to confirm that you could check with a thermometer. The temperature hasn't been dropping very far yet at night in the South and you also seem to have arranged for quite a lot of additional things to ensure that they will keep warm. I'm also presuming that there are two of them and it's amazing just how much they will keep each other warm.

Thank you, this makes me feel a bit better. There are two of them :) I do love them and think in the end they will be happier outside, I am just dreading the winter.

As Omi said, it sounds like your doing lots of things to make the transition better for them and as it's something you have to do. Good luck x

Just what I would have said!

I am sure they will be fine :) and with a shed you will be able to sit on a chair in there with them :)

Thank you all, I am feeling quite a bit relieved, I figured as long as I can run electric to the shed it should be ok. It will be fenced off in the corner with grids and the dog crate so they can't get to it or lean up against it but it will give off heat, there will also be a second level covered in fleece. They will have permanent access to the aviary but I have to figure out how to make it not drafty - they will have a cat flap but I will test for drafts.

If it's any consolation my outdoor bunnies have been far too warm recently and have been sprawled out on their windowsill! It shouldn't be too much of a drastic change for them :thumb:

Back