• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What to put in an outdoor hutch?

SallyC

New Kit
Hi, I am new on here and could do with some advice on outdoor hutches. I just started a small pet boarding business and want to get everything right and make sure everything is RWAF and RSPCA standard. I have had bunnies in the past, but they have always been indoor bunnies. I've bought a 6ft Chartwell double hutch and 6ft run which is connected to the hutch by a runaround tunnel. The hutch has an insulated cover and a waterproof one over the top. I don't really know what to put on the hutch floor though. The hutch has a waterproof coating on the base, so do I need to cover that with lino? Secondly do I need bedding throughout the hutch (I use Aubiose for my outdoor guinea pigs), or can I just have lino with comfy places to sleep like I would for indoor bunnies and maybe carpet tiles for added warmth? I have litter trays to put bedding and hay in and hay racks to put over them.

Hi :wave: Welcome to the forum :)

In terms of how you arrange the bedding, I think it's personal preference really and maybe a bit of trial and error. When we had hutches, we used to line the whole thing with bedding (https://www.fitchrecycling.co.uk/fi...et-bedding-single-bale-20kg.html?options=cart) and just make the inside section extra cosy with lots of hay.

Obviously it's important, particularly when offering boarding, that you can keep things really clean between guests, so maybe having lino would help, although mine tend to chew it. Is your run on grass? As I know some places / owners don't have them on grass, as obviously it can't be cleaned after each rabbit. Though many do.

Good luck with your business. Have you had much interest or are you still in the planning stages? x

Thanks for the welcome :wave:

I have fitch, so I could use that thanks. The run is on grass, but I can move it to a different patch when I get new occupants to avoid contamination. I have a questionnaire I send to any customers which amongst other things I ask if their bunnies have access to grass, so if they don't want the run on grass I can move it to the patio.

I am getting quite a bit of interest and have a few bookings already. I have four guinea pigs at the moment who belong to a local vet, so I am hoping that might get me a few more bookings, as she seemed to like my set up. I have my first bunnies coming on Tuesday, so want to make sure I get everything right for their arrival :shock::D

Not anymore unfortunately, I have had bunnies in the past, but I just have guinea pigs and hamsters now. All my bunnies lived indoors, so it's a new experience looking after outdoor ones, I want to make sure I am doing everything right before my first bunny guests arrive x

Back