• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Accident: Update 24th October

Big smile on my face reading this update . Onwards and upwards. Patience and care (and what must be a feisty bunny) are winning [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

What a brilliant update MightyMax :love: your dedication , patience and love are what got him through his accident. He sounds braver than ever xxx

I'm overjoyed to hear this brilliant update on your boykin, MM! :love:

Sounds like you'll have to keep a close eye on him for a completely different reason than before!! :shock:

What a wonderful update for your little pocketful of energy. I'm glad to read that he is becoming increasingly more of a pocketful of energy again. I think rabbits can appreciate life more after a change of pace. I certainly believe my Elphie did when she nearly died after losing her sister. And now, the Flumpkin is nearly 8. :shock:

You have worked wonders and I really really really owe you a PM. I have more updates re: hopping mad for you. ;)

He has the choice to be apart from his friends and sleep in his heated bed, but he spends more times with his chums. We are no longer getting up to check through the night, and his appetite is returning with a vengeance :)
Now this is good news! I happy rabbit is a hungry rabbit :lol:

When I say he is becoming more himself, I mean that he seems have realised he has a second chance and has lost two weeks of his exciting life. We have to be ultra vigilant in that he is regaining his energy and yesterday did something quite unexpected. He jumped onto the low kitchen bench which is something he has never ever attempted in all the years he's lived here :shock:

I wonder if he's appreciating his life anew? Do bunnies think like that?

I've got no idea how bunnies think (I'm not sure sometimes they know how they think!) but I definitely know what you mean. When they survive something terrible there seems to be a change in them - I've seen it especially with my Snowflake and Cody. We were incredibly close to losing both of them and they changed afterwards. They seemed happier in every way. They're both very different to how they were, and I think the time you spend with them gives you a closer bond with them. I know when Snowflake recovered she also started getting into a lot of trouble, jumping up places she shouldn't be etc. She was like that before but she's got worse. Sorry to say you might be stuck with a naughtier bunny now, it's been about 8 months now and Snowflake is still more of a handful than she was before :lol:
In all seriousness though it's fantastic news that he's acting like this. It shows he's a happy bun who wants to live and that makes all the difference to recovery. I know they can be their own worst enemy sometimes as their minds get ahead of their recovery so I understand you have to be careful with him :roll: But these are all wonderful signs and it's truly fantastic to hear how well he's doing :D

Yes I know :shock: Next stop the kitchen table and worktops?

Doesn't bear thinking about - a barrier has gone up :)
I wouldn't put it past him!
And do you really think a barrier is going to stop him? I've yet to find a barrier that can stop a truly determined bunny :lol:

A wonderful update MM. You're an incredibly strong person & he obviously takes after you xx

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

What a wonderful update for your little pocketful of energy. I'm glad to read that he is becoming increasingly more of a pocketful of energy again. I think rabbits can appreciate life more after a change of pace. I certainly believe my Elphie did when she nearly died after losing her sister. And now, the Flumpkin is nearly 8. :shock:

You have worked wonders and I really really really owe you a PM. I have more updates re: hopping mad for you. ;)

Yes it's an interesting phenomena .. I know years ago when I had bronchitis and was confined to bed (literally) for three weeks, when I felt able to get up the first thing I did was sit outside on a garden chair. It was autumn, breezy and raining at the time, but I felt so grateful to be out there - I shall never forget those moments :)

Updates - yes please! I would say no rush for a PM, but I am certainly keen to hear your news :D

Now this is good news! I happy rabbit is a hungry rabbit :lol:

I've got no idea how bunnies think (I'm not sure sometimes they know how they think!) but I definitely know what you mean. When they survive something terrible there seems to be a change in them - I've seen it especially with my Snowflake and Cody. We were incredibly close to losing both of them and they changed afterwards. They seemed happier in every way. They're both very different to how they were, and I think the time you spend with them gives you a closer bond with them. I know when Snowflake recovered she also started getting into a lot of trouble, jumping up places she shouldn't be etc. She was like that before but she's got worse. Sorry to say you might be stuck with a naughtier bunny now, it's been about 8 months now and Snowflake is still more of a handful than she was before :lol:
In all seriousness though it's fantastic news that he's acting like this. It shows he's a happy bun who wants to live and that makes all the difference to recovery. I know they can be their own worst enemy sometimes as their minds get ahead of their recovery so I understand you have to be careful with him :roll: But these are all wonderful signs and it's truly fantastic to hear how well he's doing :D

I wouldn't put it past him!
And do you really think a barrier is going to stop him? I've yet to find a barrier that can stop a truly determined bunny :lol:

You are very kind and your words contain a lot of wisdom :)

Yes, more of a handful would certainly describe it! OH came downstairs yesterday to discover him perched on the back of a sofa that he has never even climbed on before! :shock:

But yes, a happy bun who wants to live. It's difficult because when they are at their lowest we can be convinced that all they want is to give up. But with masses of TLC and patience you can *sometimes* get them over their downward spiral.

Lifting the low life energy - a difficult task but shows that it can be done :)

Hello MM,

I am so glad your lovely boy has made such a wonderful recovery following his accident. It is a tribute to your prompt action and vigilance in obtaining specialized care.
In the years I have taken care of bunnies, I have seen personality changes in bunnies who have been ill; usually from being independent bunnies to being cuddle bunnies.
When mine are ill I get very happy when they play by chewing on something or even when a stasis bunny decides to suddenly pee/poo on me or the bed. So when they are better they may just be trying to please me when they repeat this behavior.

Hello MM,

I am so glad your lovely boy has made such a wonderful recovery following his accident. It is a tribute to your prompt action and vigilance in obtaining specialized care.
In the years I have taken care of bunnies, I have seen personality changes in bunnies who have been ill; usually from being independent bunnies to being cuddle bunnies.
When mine are ill I get very happy when they play by chewing on something or even when a stasis bunny decides to suddenly pee/poo on me or the bed. So when they are better they may just be trying to please me when they repeat this behavior.

Thank you for your insight and lovely message :)

It's fascinating to read of personality/behaviour changes when rabbits have been poorly.
I am sure it would make for a very interesting study :)

I've only just caught up with this - and just skipped to the end hoping to find that all is okay - or at least getting there - phew!!!

I shall now go back and read it all properly - but just want to add my vibes for a continued recovery xxx

I'm so pleased he seems to be recovering well. He sounds like my Trixie, trying to jump up every obstacle. I hope he continues to recover, even if he has become a mischievous bunny now! That's made me smile, keep strong and positive, I'm sure it's helped him through.

I'm so pleased he seems to be recovering well. He sounds like my Trixie, trying to jump up every obstacle. I hope he continues to recover, even if he has become a mischievous bunny now! That's made me smile, keep strong and positive, I'm sure it's helped him through.

Thank you!
He's such a poppet :love: We couldn't bear to lose him ...

His appetite seems to have improved and although he's not been weighed recently, he feels a little plumper than when he was at his saddest.

Thank you everyone for your wonderful and uplifting vibes :D

Back