• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bobby

Thank you everyone.
Karen very kindly took us to see Charlotte. Wish, of course, that it had been JC. Xray (conscious as he is so quiet) shows, as well as his arthritis, some problem with his spine, as if it has twisted and perhaps is catching a nerve. Thankfully no fracture. Have Tramadol - and Metacam of course - and she said to give it until Monday to see whether there is any improvement. He is obviously lying in his own wee and poo, so can't let it go longer than that. I'm also to give him 'physio' to gently put his legs back where they should be. Will go get a Snugglesafe tomorrow. Thank you, K, for reminding me of these. Seeing JC on Monday evening - hoping against hope ...
Thank you, again, for offers of help and for thinking of us.

Topping up the vibes for Bobby and hugs on their way for you, Babsie. I pray he will improve by Monday. xxxxxxx

Thank you everyone.
Karen very kindly took us to see Charlotte. Wish, of course, that it had been JC. Xray (conscious as he is so quiet) shows, as well as his arthritis, some problem with his spine, as if it has twisted and perhaps is catching a nerve. Thankfully no fracture. Have Tramadol - and Metacam of course - and she said to give it until Monday to see whether there is any improvement. He is obviously lying in his own wee and poo, so can't let it go longer than that. I'm also to give him 'physio' to gently put his legs back where they should be. Will go get a Snugglesafe tomorrow. Thank you, K, for reminding me of these. Seeing JC on Monday evening - hoping against hope ...

I'm glad the X-ray wasn't worrying. One relief at least.

Do you think you'll be able to manage giving him the physio?

I hope JC will be able to suggest positive stuff on Monday. Not too long to wait x

Thank you everyone.

When Darwin was lying in his own wee / poo we used Pampers baby change mats in a large /shallow cardboard box. I don't know if something like this could be useful.

All the best to you and little Bobby x

Thank you everyone.

I really hope that the Tramadol brings some relief in his symptoms. I am sure that you are really worried about him. In some cases Acupuncture and/or cold laser therapy can be beneficial for spinal/nerve problems, but I completely understand that this may not be appropriate or possible in Bobby's situation.

Thank you everyone.
Hi babsie, this is exactly what my Charlie had . I left a snuggle safe at anton vets along with all charlies carrier and belongings. I'm actually going their right now for rhd2 vacs. If they still have it I will get it for you aswell as his supplements xx

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

I have always crushed tramadol and added it to food. Just ensure that he eats it and not his companion - so feed separately if possible xx

Am i ok to crush his Tramadol tablet so I can mix with Metacam and put on tiny piece of bread?

You've probably done it now, but it would be fine for him to take it this way.

I have Tramadol in a bottle (liquid) from the vet, so maybe you can ask the vet for that next time you visit? They should be able to obtain it, though I've heard it's not always easy. Or you can ask for a prescription and get a pharmacy to make it up for you. Much easier in liquid form x

Sending hugs to you today xx

How is Bobby doing now Babs? Did you get some help to medicate him? I wish I lived nearer, although I was working from 0600-1100 today anyway.

I was outside trying to clean the hutch etc and was cuddling him, crying ... when suddenly a little knock on the door and my bunny-loving neighbour from over the road appeared. What timing! She has helped me clean out the hutch and provided a much needed shoulder. I am very concerned: he really isn't moving his back end at all and isn't even trying to drag himself along - which he was a couple of days ago - so he just stays in the position I put him in. Sable isn't herself either now. Perhaps the extra medication has made him more sleepy? I wish I could bring them indoors.

ETA - yes I crushed the tab and mushed it in with the Metacam in a tiny piece of bread.

Last edited:
I hope that the meds help him, perhaps Sable is not herself because she knows Bobby isn't right.

I'm glad your neighbour has helped you :love:

I know my bridge bun Dylan was more sleepy when he was taking tramadol and I think I was too when I had it. I guess he is scared to move his back because it was hurting. Have you tried holding him up like the vet showed us? It must be really difficult for you as they are so low down in their hutch - I struggled to reach him yesterday because the hutch is such a deep one.

Do you have a puppy pen or something you could put up in the kitchen so you can bring him inside?

Yes, I have tried holding him up. The Snugglesafe has just come courtesy of Amazon one-day delivery, so that's in the microwave now. No, I don't have a puppy pen or anything - wish I had. I would have ordered one from Amazon last night if I'd been thinking straight, but I was trying to order quickly so I could get
one-day delivery.

Back