• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Plantain Identification - Just checking

Natalie

Warren Scout
I've been carefully scrutinising everything that's growing in our grass in the garden. Found these and think they are plantain, not sure though, could anyone please confirm? They're not great specimens but knowing how much Caramel prefers forage to bought greens or even bought herbs (she's turning her gorgeous little twitching nose up at the basil now!) I'd like to try and give forage as the main greens offerings :)

p2536191586-4.jpg

p2536191589-4.jpg

I've been carefully scrutinising everything that's growing in our grass in the garden. Found these and think they are plantain, not sure though, could anyone please confirm? They're not great specimens but knowing how much Caramel prefers forage to bought greens or even bought herbs (she's turning her gorgeous little twitching nose up at the basil now!) I'd like to try and give forage as the main greens offerings :)

p2536191586-4.jpg

p2536191589-4.jpg

Definitely plantain Natalie :)

Ribwort is the one that stands tall, and broad leaf is the one growing nearer the ground.

I get the flatter one when I'm out foraging, and it always feels like it's on elastic as I pull a leaf off :)

I'mm glad she likes forage - have you tried her on Bramble leaves?

Yes, the first is Ribwort Plantain and the second Greater Plantain. Ribwort is usually easy enough to identify. The specimen you have there is where the leaves are young. You can confirm that you've got Greater Plantain, as when you try to tear a leaf off the stalk is a bit tough and sinewy.

Definitely plantain Natalie :)

Ribwort is the one that stands tall, and broad leaf is the one growing nearer the ground.

I get the flatter one when I'm out foraging, and it always feels like it's on elastic as I pull a leaf off :)

I'mm glad she likes forage - have you tried her on Bramble leaves?

Haha, geat minds think alike :D

Natalie, Greater is just another name for Broad Leaf :thumb:

Back