• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Weasel

We have 2 mini-lop rabbits that stay in an outdoor run. The hutch, within the run, has a pipe entrance so they can come and go as they please 24/7. I have just spotted a weasel in the garden, about 30 feet from the run. The rabbits are about 18 months old and twice the size of the weasel.

Do i need to worry? Is there anything I should do to secure the run? It is brick walled on three sides with a wooden lattice fence at the front about 4 feet high.

Bringing the rabbits indoors is not an option and I would not want to lock them in the hutch all the time.

Any suggestions/ advice appreciated.

Weasels are definitely a threat to rabbits. They've got very powerful jaws and can easily take down animals 2 or more times bigger than them with a bite to the back of the neck.

Weasels can dig and squeeze through small openings so I imagine you'll have to bury wire mesh around the run and cover the lattice with wire mesh. Does the run have a top? Because it'll be able to climb the 4 ft lattice too.

The run doesn't have a top. But if I need to, as you seem to be suggesting, I can put one on. The run itself is concrete slabs so it's only the 4foot fence and the roof that would need to be changed, I guess.

I was very excited to see this weasel until I remembered we have rabbits.

Ah yeah it doesn't sound like it'll be too hard to weasel proof then! There's a certain wire mesh gauge you should use I think, to make sure it's strong enough to keep out weasels and foxes - maybe 14 gauge? I can't remember now but maybe another member will know.

I know the feeling - I sometimes excitedly think that I might see weasels or mink in my yard one day since my yard is ideal for them, and then I remember that I have ducks!

Just to add, I would not trust a Weasel. It could easily inflict a very nasty wound to a rabbit despite its small size. A Stoat would very definitely take a rabbit for supper.

Weasels are probably one of the best small hunters out there. They're perfectly designed to take down bigger prey. Lucky you for seeing one :)

William has all the right suggestion. 16g is ideal, and I'd go for a 1" x 1/2" at the biggest. If you can find smaller that'd be great.

I also suggest double meshing - so mesh on both sides of the wooden frame just to add extra security.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I also spotted a weasel in the garden the other night. Luckily my buns are indoor but I'm still now extra cautious when they have garden time in the day as weasels hunt at all times.

Back