• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding started tonight - advice needed

LarryMolly

Warren Scout
Hi all - Molly and Indy have been living next to each other for 4 weeks. They've met twice for 10 mins where nothing really happened. We then had a break as I had to go away for a week, I'm back now and started bonding at 7.30pm tonight!

My plan was to do about 30 mins and then stop depending on behaviour.

The session is currently still taking place as Molly has been grooming Indy and herself for about 15 mins.

They both seem fairly relaxed, I'm pretty shocked as Molly can be aggressive.

My question is, should I separate them as there had been so much grooming going on? Indy hasn't groomed Molly yet, she put her head under him a few times, she clearly wants grooming as well.

They are in a empty pen at the moment so going to try scattering some food I think and see how they react.

Really interested to hear what people think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My instinct is still to separate, unless you are able to switch to a short bond. I wouldn't leave them unattended tonight or tomorrow during the day, even if they look like they're getting on well. Rabbit fights really can start out of anything (pests!) and I just wouldn't want to take the risk of leaving them together alone straight away in case something goes "wrong". Just my two cents though!

Sorry I should have said that I can switch to a short bond as I'm at home all week this week and I wouldn't leave them unattended or alone over night if they stay together.

The grooming and friendliness has confused my bonding plan so not sure what the right thing to do is.

They are eating hay together now so going to leave them a bit longer and assess.

Personally, I would switch to a short bond, if you're happy to do it. It's hard work (I hope you slept well last night :lol:) but it sounds like they're going to bond really well in the end, as far as you can tell so early on, and a short bond is an equally valid method. I've never done a long bond, though, and mine hadn't met each other at all before the bond started, so I don't know if the advice changes if they've met in the past. Whatever you decide to do, it all sounds positive right now!

It is tempting! I know it's early days and it can all change though. I'm just very surprised at the moment. Indy's fallen asleep...

sound like its going great - good bunnies. In this scenario I'd not separate unless necessary. good luck

If you've got the time why stop it when it's going so well. Make hay while the sun shines! Good luck[emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

I would agree with Julia and j&b and would not split them up if you can stay with them. I think if it's going really well, it could in fact frustrate them if you do. Whatever you decide to do, I hope it goes well :)

Thank you everybody! I was caught up in how well it was going that I forgot I have Poppy's vet app tomorrow at our new rabbit savvy vets at 9.30am for her eye. So cant short bond tonight now but I'll pick back up when back from vets tomorrow and if all is the same as today then we'll crack on with the short bond.

Thanks again, this forum is very helpful! x

Thanks MM! That's my plan from tomorrow now. I would have carried on tonight in the end had it not been for the vet app in the morning. Hopefully they'll pick up from where they left off. :)

Ok so we're going for it. Today's been a bit more varied and as expected really with some nipping, fur pulling and lunging. We have still had grooming, lounging and eating together.

Do I only intervene when they are locked on head to tail? I've intervened in 2 lunging / scrabbling matches when they are face to face so far. No injuries. Finding it hard to know when to step in.

Back