• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding after amputation

Rexspet

New Kit
Hiya I'm new here so please bare with me. We have a 6 month old Dutch lop called Rex who had to have an operation to amputate, around 3 weeks ago after breaking his hind leg. He's healing fantastic and is still in the house with us until we think he's upto going back outside full time. We still let him out every day for a run around and grass munching etc. Now the reason I've posted is this, rex has always been friendly and inquisitive from the moment we brought him home but since having his leg amputated he's become particularly close to me hell actively seek me out and will lie beside me or just sit where he can see me. He now let's me brush him and also hold his ear on the side his leg was amputated so he can clean it. We're at home alone today and he's come and sat on my knee of his own accord and kept nudging my hand for me to stroke him which he was then returning the favour by licking my hand and wrist and giving my wedding/engagement rings a Nibble. He's now following me round nibbling at my socks/feet which is something he's never done before. I don't mind at all it's quite cute and I absolutely love him especially after nearly losing him after his accident. I'm not sure this makes any difference but me referring to him as male is force of habit and we actually found out on his last vet visit that he is actually a she. I'm just wondering if encouraging this behaviour is a good thing especially if he's going to be going back outside in the future and although we spend time with him everyday while he's outside I'm worried it might not be enough if he becomes attached to me. I had bonded rabbits for a few year and had to have one of them put to sleep in March after finding out he had mouth cancer his brother who he loved dearly died a few days later of unknown cause. So I'm terribly concerned that I'm putting rex at risk by allowing him to bond with me? Sorry for the long post. Thanks in advance :)

Last edited:
Hello and welcome to the Forum. Sorry to hear Rex had an accident and has had to have one of his legs amputated. Rabbits are generally better off with a rabbit friend especially as your rabbit will be going back outside soon. She would bond best with a neutered male and having her spayed will also help the bonding. Female rabbits in particular like a close bond and this is why she looks to you for her emotional needs.

Another point to make is if she is indoors she will not grow a thick winter coat so won't really be able to go outside. If she goes out at present there is still time for her to grow her winter coat and if you decide on a friend for her, they would need to be bonded in a neutral area, but as she is still very young there shouldn't be too much of a problem accepting a friend.

As tonibun has already said, rabbits are much happier when living with another rabbit.
Especially as she will be returning outdoors I'd find her a neutered male around the same age. Obviously you'll still be wanting to see her daily, but much of the day and night she will be alone which is where her husbun will come in to keep her company.

Neutering before bonding is recommended as rabbits have high hormone levels which can make bonding difficult. She'll need 6 weeks for her hormones to settle before bonding can begin. Finding a rabbit rescue is ideal as they can find her a friend and do the bonding for you.

As she's been living indoors and the temperatures are really dropping now I would consider keeping her as an indoor rabbit until spring has arrived so you know she has the right coat for the weather.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Just another point - a tripod bun will have problems with cleaning ears, etc. A partner bun is very useful to help out with those awkward spots, although you will still have to keep an eye on the ear that she can't reach.

Back