• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bobby & Sable

Babsie

Wise Old Thumper
I have the 7ft hutch they had at Catherine's but i really need to get on and have a new 'aviary' type house for them. They're very reluctant to come out of their hutch and i think that's partly because once out they are in a big open space, they have no covered run where they feel secure.

A big problem is that they are frailer now (at 10) and wouldn't be able to manage a ramp, to enable me to have a height i could manage, and I'm really struggling with them being so low down. I'm still unsteady, don't have a lot of strength in my hip/leg and simply can't stoop down and reach into the back of the hutch (its 3ft deep) to clean them out properly or to pick them up. Previously i could, of course have got down on my hands and knees - now, if i get down i cant get back without something to grab hold of! So, now i have a real quandary (I was going to incorporate the run in their new housing).

Sorry to sound so negative but i just dont know what to do.:(

I'm so pleased to have them back but it really isnt working out that well at the moment.

:cry: I'm sure we can all try to think of some solutions. Would a run behind the hutch be better for you to deal with? if the hutch was on legs do you think they could manage a very long ramp so it wasn't steep, or it could even have a turn on it? It could have sides on it for safety. They could get onto the ramp through a hole cut in the back. Then you might be able to manage cleaning a bit more easily? Do you have a long handled dustpan and brush, that might help reaching in to the back?

Is there anyone who could help with cleaning out for you?

I can 100% understand this issue. I had this same problem after my hip operation for months and it's only quite recently that I can kneel down and then get up unaided. I think that the muscles have to regain their strength. I used to take something with me each time to hold on to, to help me get up. It wasn't quite so bad in the rabbit shed, as it's mounted on blocks, which makes it higher, but in the rabbit runs and also in the chicken accommodation, which are both at ground level, I had a problem.

It's a shame that Bobby and Sable are too nervous to come out of their hutch and I can understand that you would like to get something to make this better for them. At the same time you could also try to make cleaning out easier for you.

I can see that a ramp would not be suitable. Do you think it would be possible to get an aviary-type accommodation, the whole of which was raised? If it was just by a small amount it would make it easier for you. I accept it would be expensive, but maybe discuss options with Daniel at Boyles Housing to see what he could suggest that he could do. I would also try different "things" to take around with you to help you get up, if you get down on your knees.

I hope you can sort something out.

I really do feel such a wimp and so fed up. Ive been trying to clean out the hutch and Virkon everything. I'm in tears and quite honestly feel like chucking everything up. I try to make quite light of things IRL and joke about stuff but I really have had enough, what with my hip - and the stomach op, which still makes me very unhappy as well as physically poorly. I know i should feel grateful that they saved my life but today i just wish I hadn't dialled 999.

You are anything but a wimp Babsie, and it's no wonder you feel like you do. You have to look after you now, and if that means dropping standards a bit Bobbie and Sable won't care and they will be fine. Are they litter trained? If I was nearer I'd come round and clean them out for you so you could just enjoy them.

Something I saw in use at Windwhistle Warren for a couple of bunnies was Runaround tubing instead of a ramp. Maybe you could use that in conjunction with raising the hutch up to whatever height is ok for you plus an aviary run?

They used to be litter trained but they now seem to poo all over the hutch.

Oh dear! Probably with the move? Do you have a college nearby that does animal courses. Wonder if a student would come and clean them out for you maybe? Or maybe your vet might suggest someone who might help?

It's very easy to get down about things, so don't think of yourself as a wimp!

The sort of problems you are experiencing with mobility must be quite common and so I'm sure that there will be options to make things easier. Just think about how there are raised beds for people to garden :)

Zoobec's suggestion about an animal care student to help now and again is worth thinking about as well.

This must be so difficult for you, don't feel like a wimp, you have come through such a lot and should be proud of yourself.

I'll have a think regarding the housing, but my initial thought was about someone being able to clean them out for you, so you can enjoy them without putting yourself under strain. I know if we lived near you, my teenage dd would be more than happy to clean them out for some pocket money. Do you know anyone like that?

All the best x

Sorry I have only just seen this Babsie. You are hardly being a wimp. Maybe your Vet Practice would have details of people who offer Pet Care services ? I dont know if you having anything similar local to you, but here we have a Community Group (Charitable) that offers help to people living alone and struggling with various tasks. This can cover a broad spectrum from painting and decorating to gardening and pet care.

I really do feel such a wimp and so fed up. Ive been trying to clean out the hutch and Virkon everything. I'm in tears and quite honestly feel like chucking everything up. I try to make quite light of things IRL and joke about stuff but I really have had enough, what with my hip - and the stomach op, which still makes me very unhappy as well as physically poorly. I know i should feel grateful that they saved my life but today i just wish I hadn't dialled 999.

Babsie, I suspected this might be the case. Not that you are a wimp but that it might be really difficult physically, mentally and emotionally to cope with everything and adjust now the buns are home.

In order to get into some sort of routine with them, is there a pet care company you can call on to help you in the sort term to do some of the jobs you're struggling with? Could they maybe send someone 'mature' who can perhaps give you ideas of how to deal with these issues, which might be easy for some but incredibly arduous and painful for you to carry out?

Back