• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Housing mini lops in a garage

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

We are considering getting 2 mini lop brothers and wondering if we could house them in the garage. The garage has a closed Window (for light), no cars outside (so no smoke) and has enough space to consider housing setups. We get some light in there but can use timer based lights and a lamp in there along with an oil filled radiator heater when it gets more cold. We also have foxes on the street so are not looking at an external option.

The questions I have are -

1. Is a garage a suitable environment in the circumstances?
2. Any ideas on how to setup the garage to give our buns an amazing home? (pictures or product ideas would be brilliant)
3. The flooring is concrete - what should we do about that? Put an old carpet underneath it or have wooden floors installed?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks all.

I did it when I had to. The advantages were space and security. I didn't like the concrete floor for them so I used the insulating mats people use for camping, then tarp, then puppy pads, then hay. It worked well and was easy to clean. I used carriers and plastic tents as hides and to ensure there were always extra-cosy spaces in case of sudden drops in temperature. My buns had always lived in an unheated house so it wasn't that different.

One of my groups live in my garage - I built the pen next to the window to make the most of the natural light.

I left the floor as it was, easy to sweep, and just have some blankets as resting places.

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?466544-My-Bunny-Accomodation-Part-1-The-Bachelor-Pad-(Picture-Heavy)

Amy, your setup is excellent and thanks for sharing the pictures too.

I am confused about buying a hutch and a run and moving that to the garage or a large pen with a cage or bunny bed.

Not sure which setup is better and where to go about buying things.

Back