• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dig box - Shredded paper?

daphnephoebe

Wise Old Thumper
So I've done a ton of shredding and have the cross Shredded paper coming out of my ears.

I'm sure it's okay, but is there a reason I can't use the paper in the girls dig box? I use it for the gerbil anyway but I was thinking they might like the change from sand/dirt/hay.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I can't see that this would hurt. It obviously wouldn't be beneficial for them to eat it (I presume it's got printer ink on it), but I can't imagine that they'd be tempted. Mine have got new cardboard boxes atm, which they are tearing round the edges. I would imagine that they would be more likely to ingest a little of this, than your girls with paper that's already shredded.

Thanks Omi. I didn't think it'd be a real problem but always best to check. They never eat anything in that box - even the hay so hopefully they won't start with this. I'll go small amount and increase as they get used to it. Thanks again.

It should be ok but ink is fatal to ferrets, not sure about bunnies - years ago I used it for bedding and mine didn't have a problem, you just have to watch that they don't eat paper because it will cause an impaction etc etc. Bunnies tend to not do thinks that would harm them though I find, well apart from chewing wires haha! X

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It should be ok but ink is fatal to ferrets, not sure about bunnies - years ago I used it for bedding and mine didn't have a problem, you just have to watch that they don't eat paper because it will cause an impaction etc etc. Bunnies tend to not do thinks that would harm them though I find, well apart from chewing wires haha! X

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Phoebe seems to love the paper and has been in the dig box more often... sleeping. Neither have attempted to eat it.

Last edited:
Back