• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Thoughts please

Omi

Wise Old Thumper
Our situation is that we have gone from a quad to a trio and very recently to a pair. The elder rabbit is Tan, who is 8 and has daily Metacam for arthritis. The other rabbit is Tethra, who is nearly 7 and is Tan's son. He has had two past episodes of Treponema. Both rabbits appear to have adjusted very well to the recent loss of Tan's partner/Tethra's Dad. Neither rabbit has ever been bonded to any other. Yan and Tan were ex-breeder, taken in by a rescue and Tethra was born in rescue. Neither rabbit has ever shown any aggression, but I suspect Tan is territorial (as she often moves hay around :))

Having seen the emotional benefit of having two rabbits left, rather than one, we are thinking very hard about if or how to introduce one or two more. Also their accommodation seems to suggest it needs more rabbits in it and also we could help more rescue rabbits :)

The rabbits live outside in a large shed, which is attached to outside areas (not convential type runs), which my OH constructed both to fit into the space and to provide different opportunities for exercise (i.e. steps, long runs etc).

I have read lots of the theory of bonding and will look at the recently provided links to articles and vidos on other threads.

We do not have any outside space, which could be made neutral and the fact that the temperature is now gradually dropping seems to worsen that problem. We don't have rabbits in the house, so it would not be possible to bond them inside first and also of course there is the issue of temperature change. I would not send them away for bonding at a rescue.

I suppose I have reservations about whether this will be beneficial in the short term. Long term I think it would because of the issue of not wanting one rabbit left behind by itself.

What do people think about the concept itself, how best to do it, is Spring more problematic because of hormones etc etc?

I have in the past bonded 2 pairs into a quad and it was very successful. I did it because both pairs were living in hutch/run combos and I wanted them to share a shed and a big aviary run. All were fairly young and if it hadn't worked I had a fallback of them staying as they were, assuming the quad bond didn't upset the bonds and I ended up with singles! That is my only personal experience of bonding rabbits.

I don't know anything about Treponema so I don't know if it can be transmitted to another rabbit or if the stress of bonding could cause another episode.

I think personalities of the rabbits are very important in trying to determine if it might work.

If I'm understanding it correctly and you don't have outside neutral space and you can't do it indoors means it would be very difficult to do, especially if one of your rabbits seems territorial. You would need to camp out or have a camera on them and be able to intervene quickly in any scuffles

I think spring is worse for bonding as you say, I did mine in summer but I did the initial stages indoors.

The benefits could be great but I think if they are happy as they are I'm not sure I would rock the boat to be honest. But as I said knowing the rabbits well is key.

Difficult one but I think I'd be tempted to try a bonded pair (would want lots of reassurance from rescue that they were securely bonded). I'm not sure what your plan B could be if it didn't work out - would you be able to return them to rescue ? I think I'd really struggle with that (there was no way I'd return Mouse as she was rescued once then returned again by her adopters when they moved house). Some people have success just popping them all in together & I know you'd be diligent in watching them. So many unknowns with bonding.

When my wonky little ec bun became more stable my OH took her to Frances Harcourt Brown to see if she thought she was well enough to bond. He asked FHB if he should get another special needs bun & she replied "only if you want twice the heartache" & said she was confident there would be no issues bonding. There wasn't! I wish I'd been there as I'd love to know if she was basing this on Noodles lovable disposition or her special needs / fragility.

We got Mouse in March - I would definitely avoid bonding in Spring if possible.

One day I'll be on here asking the same - Mousey pie & Joey have got on with all rabbits they have been introduced to (M is used to group living from Camp Nibble) but I dread having to bond Boo again. She was super submissive with Joe but we all know how she felt about the introduction of another girl. So if Boo goes first I'd get another one or two, if Boo is left I'll probably wimp out & leave them as a pair

I bet you have a fab set up. Glad Tan & Tethra are managing so well

Thanks for your replies. I agree it is a difficult one. I think that does are probably more problematic than bucks with bonding anyway and I would think that another female here might not go down well with Tan. But then I also thought she would grieve badly and it hasn't happened at all. It doesn't help that I feel very protective towards her and so would hate her to be upset or hurt in any way. If it were Tethra and Yan left, I think the situation would have been easier. However, we have what we have and so have to decide accordingly. There are so many issues and what ifs, that I wish sometimes I was less of a thinker :) No, j&b, I don't think I could hand any rescue rabbit back either and of course if I went for another bonded pair, I could theoretically be left with 4 singles :shock:

I have floated the idea :)lol:) of getting another set-up (aviary type thingy). I would then arrange to put a new bonded pair in it at the same time as Tan and Tethra. If they all bonded I would then transfer them all back to the original shed+ and get another new group for the aviary. If they didn't, I would keep the new pair in the aviary and get another pair to try to bond with them. Seems ideal solution to me :lol: I can't see why it hasn't been hugely embraced here :lol:

Last edited:
Thanks for your replies. I agree it is a difficult one. I think that does are probably more problematic than bucks with bonding anyway and I would think that another female here might not go down well with Tan. But then I also thought she would grieve badly and it hasn't happened at all. It doesn't help that I feel very protective towards her and so would hate her to be upset or hurt in any way. If it were Tethra and Yan left, I think the situation would have been easier. However, we have what we have and so have to decide accordingly. There are so many issues and what ifs, that I wish sometimes I was less of a thinker :) No, j&b, I don't think I could hand any rescue rabbit back either and of course if I went for another bonded pair, I could theoretically be left with 4 singles :shock:

I have floated the idea :)lol:) of getting another set-up (aviary type thingy). I would then arrange to put a new bonded pair in it at the same time as Tan and Tethra. If they all bonded I would then transfer them all back to the original shed+ and get another new group for the aviary. If they didn't, I would keep the new pair in the aviary and get another pair to try to bond with them. Seems ideal solution to me :lol: I can't see why it hasn't been hugely embraced here :lol:

Well when you put it like that you've got nothing to lose, I'd go for it :)

The only thing I can really back is to not bond during spring [emoji38]

I hope you're able to figure out the logistical side of things xx I'll be following with lots of interest

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I'm pretty confident you won't end up with 4 singles ...I've never been won over by that argument or read of anyones experience that supports it. The second aviary sounds a grand plan. Go for it Omi

Thanks everyone. I'm not feeling very confident about the whole thing at the moment. That coupled with the fact that there doesn't appear to be any rescue rabbits that seem massively suitable. So I'll remain in the wimps' camp for a while I think.

I'm pretty confident you won't end up with 4 singles ...I've never been won over by that argument or read of anyones experience that supports it. The second aviary sounds a grand plan. Go for it Omi
I hope you realise if my girls ever get a husbun you will be coming to help me bond them! ;)

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Back