• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

EC

Hi Janey. Sorry to butt in but just when you mentioned about lifting your bun onto the bed to give panacur - if it is the paste- have you tried plastering on a leaf of a herb ( I use basil because it is big) that your bun enjoys? Feed this before other things so it is definately eaten and they won't even know they've had it and you don't need to handle them?Sorry if you've already tried this x

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

Thanks for the tip Julia.

It is the paste but to be honest, it only takes 5 seconds and he doesn't seem stressed afterwards. Good to know it's an option though if he does start to seem distressed.

I didn't know buns could have basil though so that's helpful!

He's just had some nose rubs and is munching his herbs, hoping for less wobble soon.

Thanks for the tip Julia.

It is the paste but to be honest, it only takes 5 seconds and he doesn't seem stressed afterwards. Good to know it's an option though if he does start to seem distressed.

I didn't know buns could have basil though so that's helpful!

He's just had some nose rubs and is munching his herbs, hoping for less wobble soon.

Is this the paste you're using?

https://www.animeddirect.co.uk/panacur-rabbit-oral-worming-paste-5g.html

I'm sure you already know this, but you can get Panacur in a bottle. I know those little paste tubes only last 9 days, as they are formulated for eradicating worms. I usually get a big bottle of Panacur 10% and I use it at a dose rate of 20mg/kg (0.2ml/kg) unless instructed otherwise by my Vet

You can buy it online, but because it's not licensed for rabbits it can be a bit of a struggle. It's not expensive though and most vets should stock it.

How's Peter today? x

Thank you, he's much the same this morning, although I would say he is hopping more when he moves whereas it was a bit more of a drag/hop before.

To be honest he just sits in his little 'caravan' all day not doing anything, but then again that's the same as he does most days but he's normally under the bed (I've moved his rugs from under the bed to discourage him from going there as he will slip on the floor).

I'm hoping that the slight improvement means the panacur is working which would mean it's EC, not sure if this is actually the better of the possibilities of what it could be but I know how hard inner ear issues are to deal with and if it is his ear it would likely be 'the beginning of the end' . Anyway, just hoping improvements continue.

Thank you, he's much the same this morning, although I would say he is hopping more when he moves whereas it was a bit more of a drag/hop before.

To be honest he just sits in his little 'caravan' all day not doing anything, but then again that's the same as he does most days but he's normally under the bed (I've moved his rugs from under the bed to discourage him from going there as he will slip on the floor).

I'm hoping that the slight improvement means the panacur is working which would mean it's EC, not sure if this is actually the better of the possibilities of what it could be but I know how hard inner ear issues are to deal with and if it is his ear it would likely be 'the beginning of the end' . Anyway, just hoping improvements continue.

It's so difficult to know. I have had literally overnight improvement with giving Panacur, but there again, I can't put my hand on my heart and say it was definitely down to that. My vet thinks it was due to the Panacur though.

If he's on Depocillin too, and Metacam (I can't remember if that was still in the mix - it should be) then you are doing what you can.

Did you get the Depo in the end?

I haven't got it yet, just rang the vets for the second time chasing & their delivery will be made this afternoon, which is a pain as I can't collect at lunch time but my mum has kindly said she will collect for me.

Question though, my vet has given me a glass container to put the depo in because he said other vets normally put it in a bottle which makes it harder to get in the syringe. However, I can't seem to get the top off the glass bottle, any idea? Would I have to decant it all in using a bigger syringe?

I haven't got it yet, just rang the vets for the second time chasing & their delivery will be made this afternoon, which is a pain as I can't collect at lunch time but my mum has kindly said she will collect for me.

Question though, my vet has given me a glass container to put the depo in because he said other vets normally put it in a bottle which makes it harder to get in the syringe. However, I can't seem to get the top off the glass bottle, any idea? Would I have to decant it all in using a bigger syringe?

Is there a sort of rubber bung-like thingy at the top of the bottle ?

The bottle that the Depo comes in has a rubber bung at the top. This is the seal - it also has to be kept in the fridge!

I am guessing that they have put a bung into the glass container for you, in which case you would put the needle in through the top rubber bung. It's helpful to have two needles - one to draw the meds out of the container (if it has to go through the bung) and another to actually inject. This is because the bung tends to blunt the needle and make it harder to get through a rabbit's tough skin :)

Yes, that's the bottle I have been given, but it is empty. The suggestion of my vet was that the depo should be put in there to more easily get in the syringe because the local vets won't put it in such a bottle (he's right, last time they put it in a standard plastic bottle), I have used such a bottle before when provided by my vet, but obviously the depo has already been in the bottle. I don't know how I'm meant to get it in.

If worse comes to worse I can just get out of the plastic bottle but I feel things aren't as sterile then.

I missed your previous post about the panacur MightyMax, thanks, that's really helpful, I willl try to order because it's pricey at the vets.

Yes, that's the bottle I have been given, but it is empty. The suggestion of my vet was that the depo should be put in there to more easily get in the syringe because the local vets won't put it in such a bottle (he's right, last time they put it in a standard plastic bottle), I have used such a bottle before when provided by my vet, but obviously the depo has already been in the bottle. I don't know how I'm meant to get it in.

If worse comes to worse I can just get out of the plastic bottle but I feel things aren't as sterile then.

I missed your previous post about the panacur MightyMax, thanks, that's really helpful, I willl try to order because it's pricey at the vets.

You could ask them to dispense you a full new bottle, unopened, which will be much better for sterility. That's what I do, even though some gets unused. It's very cheap! Even with sterile bottles and needles etc, with the best will in the world it introduces an unnecessary stage of contamination.

The surgery you collect the Depo from should draw up the amount of Depocillin they are going to dispense (using a needle/syringe) and transfer it into the bottle you have by 'injecting' the Depo' into it via the rubber bung at the top of the bottle. They should use a new needle to 'inject' into the bottle from the one they use to draw the Depo' out of the manufacture's bottle. They should give you a supply of needles/syringes to administer each dose. Two needles for each dosing-one to use to draw the dose up, then change to a new needle to give the injection x

It's not licensed for rabbits, and so not easy to order online - there can be issues if it's stated that it's for a rabbit. The only Panacur licensed for rabbits is the paste that you're already using.

Many of us here get our Panacur online, but there can be issues buying it if stated it's for a rabbit. The only Panacur actually licensed for rabbits is the paste that you're already using (Fenbendazole).

A good place to buy:

https://www.animeddirect.co.uk/panacur-small-animal-oral-suspension-100ml-10.html

It's the 10% Panacur, and you may be able to get a cheap bottle from your vet. Alternatively ask for a prescription and buy online :)

You could ask them to dispense you a full new bottle, unopened, which will be much better for sterility. That's what I do, even though some gets unused. It's very cheap! Even with sterile bottles and needles etc, with the best will in the world it introduces an unnecessary stage of contamination.

This is also what my vet has always given to me too.

Sending more vibes and thoughts for Peter and you.

I have the depo, but as my mum picked it up for me I'm not particularly happy (with the vet surgery, not my mum).

I had to call and ask them to put in a syringe, which they have done, but they've given me 1.5mls, which will only last me 5 days when I am meant to have 10, and charged me £20. Does this cost sound correct?

Peter is much the same, he is still hopping and moving a tad better and no scanning, this leads me to think it's more likely EC than his ear given he's had no treatment for his ear yet and I would have thought if it was an inner ear infection he would have declined b now as he's had no treatment for it, what do you think?

I have the depo, but as my mum picked it up for me I'm not particularly happy (with the vet surgery, not my mum).

I had to call and ask them to put in a syringe, which they have done, but they've given me 1.5mls, which will only last me 5 days when I am meant to have 10, and charged me £20. Does this cost sound correct?

Peter is much the same, he is still hopping and moving a tad better and no scanning, this leads me to think it's more likely EC than his ear given he's had no treatment for his ear yet and I would have thought if it was an inner ear infection he would have declined b now as he's had no treatment for it, what do you think?

Regarding the cost etc, I found this online:

http://www.wernvets.co.uk/vets/shop.php?action=full&id=154

https://www.viovet.co.uk/Depocillin/c984/

I am usually given a bottle of 100ml and this in the past has cost me about £30/40 from the vet. I have had multiple rabbits on long courses, but even so, some gets wasted.

Wouldn't it be a lot cheaper, and more hygienic, if they gave you a prescription and you bought it online? As you say, Peter seems to be improving a little without any treatment for the inner ear. Maybe it is E.C. after all, though I would still continue to try and get the meds for him.

Alternatively, if Medivet Watford don't have any, can another branch send some over for you?

So if my maths is right (which it's probably not), if I were to get 100mls from my vet it would be about £1300.

I'm really angry about this, I just feel this other branch are taking the mick. You are right about the prescription & I will call and ask tomorrow. They also haven't given me a bigger syringe to decant into the bottle so I think that may be a struggle with a fine syringe. So frustrating that I'm paying for a service and having to tell them what to do step by step & they still can't get it right.

So if my maths is right (which it's probably not), if I were to get 100mls from my vet it would be about £1300.

I'm really angry about this, I just feel this other branch are taking the mick. You are right about the prescription & I will call and ask tomorrow. They also haven't given me a bigger syringe to decant into the bottle so I think that may be a struggle with a fine syringe. So frustrating that I'm paying for a service and having to tell them what to do step by step & they still can't get it right.

It's mind boggling to me that a vet can know how much you're suffering with your Peter and still make life difficult for you. I can only assume it's incompetence and not meant any other way :roll:

What I do with injectable penicillin, and apologies if you remember how you did it last time, is sterilise the top of the bottle with the bung in, use a syringe and a green needle to draw up the required amount, and then change to a blue needle to inject. I use two new needles every time I draw out of the bottle and inject. The syringe I reuse two or three times, but you might want to change that each time too.

I don't know that figures with the bottle arrangement you've been given?

Back