Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 129

Thread: EC

  1. #21
    Wise Old Thumper
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    128,956

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Janey View Post
    Thanks Jack-Jane, seems we wrote at the same time. I'll see what he's like when I get home in a minute, (currently sitting in Sainsbury's car park), I'm hoping he's still munching but I did wonder how long the steroid would last. I'm going to clean his tray when I get home so he'll have to move around a bit, I'll try & assess how he is. Can tracking occur with an inner-ear infection or is that more of an EC symptom? I would assume both.
    Is it 'just' his head that is swaying (tracking) or are his eyeballs flicking too (nystagmus) ? If there is nystagmus then what type can give an idea as to whether the primary problem is EC or if it is Otitis media/interna. See 'Clinical Signs' on this link :

    http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00d...ularRabbit.htm

  2. #22
    Wise Old Thumper MightyMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    30,631

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Janey View Post
    Yes, Guy did lots for my old bun Poppy, she had horrendous teeth issues and he did regular dentals for her & saved her life on many occasions, before I found him I was considering PTS as she was so miserable.

    He's not even on the website anymore so has clearly moved on, it's both the current partners who dealt with Peter before but neither are in until Monday, I've booked an appointment first thing then, I don't want to drag him all that way to get a vet who knows nothing about him & says the same as the local vet did yesterday.

    Got him dill, coriander, a banana (special treat-I'll try anything if he stops eating again) & a couple of Ella's kitchen sachets, just heading home now & will see how he's doing, I'm hoping he's eaten what I've left him but am assuming if the steroid is wearing off he may not be so hungry.

    So lucky really because I was meant to go out straight from work yesterday but decided I couldn't be bothered which is most unlike me, I probably wouldn't have got home until late & would have been drinking so getting to the vets would have been a real challenge....thank god I changed my mind.

    Hasn't been a good week, my Dad broke his leg too....let's hope this doesn't come in threes! Maybe I should wrap the cat in cotton wool!

    I'm really sorry to hear about your Dad. It really hasn't been a good week for you all.

    Just looked and you're right, Guy's not there now. I hope you've confidence in the others - I have met Candice in the past

    It's funny how fate works out, and brought you home to see him instead of going out. Peter must have a hotline to you!

    You seem to have stocked up on the goodies. I hope he appreciates what you're doing for him, bless x

  3. #23
    Warren Veteran Janey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    North London
    Posts
    7,076

    Default

    Thanks Jane for the links. I've tried to tell and I can't really tell if his eyes are flickering, they are moving slightly but I'm not sure if that's just as a result of the head moving rather than them moving independently. I took a video then remembered I no longer have photobucket.

    He can move around although his hop is rather weak, again, this could just be because of the disorientation I assume.

    MightyMax it's been a bit of a challenge but so is life, it could be a lot worse so I can't complain. He is appreciating the goodies, consumed a bunch of dill and coriander and some baby food, I've just provided more of each. I tried a bit of the baby food.....it's delicious.

    Candice is amazing as is Andrea who actually did Peter's ops, they helped me immensely financially as well because my insurance was maxed out, so it's not purely money making. Saying that it still cost me hundreds.....the joys of rabbit ownership Its a bit of a trek but it could be worse and it just makes me more appreciative of the cats vet around the corner. Annoying when I have to go multiple times in a week though.

  4. #24
    Wise Old Thumper MightyMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    30,631

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Janey View Post
    Thanks Jane for the links. I've tried to tell and I can't really tell if his eyes are flickering, they are moving slightly but I'm not sure if that's just as a result of the head moving rather than them moving independently. I took a video then remembered I no longer have photobucket.

    He can move around although his hop is rather weak, again, this could just be because of the disorientation I assume.

    MightyMax it's been a bit of a challenge but so is life, it could be a lot worse so I can't complain. He is appreciating the goodies, consumed a bunch of dill and coriander and some baby food, I've just provided more of each. I tried a bit of the baby food.....it's delicious.

    Candice is amazing as is Andrea who actually did Peter's ops, they helped me immensely financially as well because my insurance was maxed out, so it's not purely money making. Saying that it still cost me hundreds.....the joys of rabbit ownership Its a bit of a trek but it could be worse and it just makes me more appreciative of the cats vet around the corner. Annoying when I have to go multiple times in a week though.

    Just wondered whether this from one of my earlier links might help:


    The inner ear controls balance and hearing. Disease can enter this area through the same three pathways as in the middle ear. Signs of disease of the inner ear include deafness, HEAD TILT, LOSS OF BALANCE and horizontal or rotary nystagmus (eye "flipping" or "rolling") which is spontaneous and unrelated to the position of the head. Proprioception (the ability of the rabbit to sense where the feet and legs are) and postural reactions (the ability of the rabbit to try to return to a normal standing position) are normal.


    A couple of videos here - bit distressing to watch - but basically it's so hard to tell what's going on, and what the cause of it all might be.


    Side to side nystagmus due to ear infection:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ou_5Hm8ebmE

    Nystagmus due to E.C.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeUAfV1xrSw


    Also, in this explanation, you can see that the eye can move in many different directions due to ear infection:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zF4DubfHMCI

  5. #25
    Wise Old Thumper
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    128,956

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Janey View Post
    Thanks Jane for the links. I've tried to tell and I can't really tell if his eyes are flickering, they are moving slightly but I'm not sure if that's just as a result of the head moving rather than them moving independently. I took a video then remembered I no longer have photobucket.

    He can move around although his hop is rather weak, again, this could just be because of the disorientation I assume.


    MightyMax it's been a bit of a challenge but so is life, it could be a lot worse so I can't complain. He is appreciating the goodies, consumed a bunch of dill and coriander and some baby food, I've just provided more of each. I tried a bit of the baby food.....it's delicious.

    Candice is amazing as is Andrea who actually did Peter's ops, they helped me immensely financially as well because my insurance was maxed out, so it's not purely money making. Saying that it still cost me hundreds.....the joys of rabbit ownership Its a bit of a trek but it could be worse and it just makes me more appreciative of the cats vet around the corner. Annoying when I have to go multiple times in a week though.
    Any type of vestibular problem can certainly cause marked disorientation. I am so glad that you have a great deal of confidence in your Vet. I know how important that can be when dealing with a very poorly Rabbit. As you say, not all Vets are just 'in it for the money'. Although with some of the Vet bashing that can occur on here it may seem that many people think that they are !!

    I hope that Peter remains as upbeat as possible and that he will continue to eat for himself xx

  6. #26
    Wise Old Thumper MightyMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    30,631

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Janey View Post

    MightyMax it's been a bit of a challenge but so is life, it could be a lot worse so I can't complain. He is appreciating the goodies, consumed a bunch of dill and coriander and some baby food, I've just provided more of each. I tried a bit of the baby food.....it's delicious.

    Candice is amazing as is Andrea who actually did Peter's ops, they helped me immensely financially as well because my insurance was maxed out, so it's not purely money making. Saying that it still cost me hundreds.....the joys of rabbit ownership Its a bit of a trek but it could be worse and it just makes me more appreciative of the cats vet around the corner. Annoying when I have to go multiple times in a week though
    .

    I've cared for a few rolling foster rabbits, and it's really difficult to judge in the early days how things are going to pan out. He sounds like he's eating and enjoying his life, so you don't have imminent decision-making!

    I am so glad you've endorsed Candice and Andrea. Those were my thoughts too

    It's good to know that there is more than one place for a superb vet service, even if it's a little way away.

  7. #27
    Wise Old Thumper MightyMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    30,631

    Default

    How's Peter doing today, Janey? And how are you coping?

  8. #28
    Warren Veteran Janey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    North London
    Posts
    7,076

    Default

    Thanks for asking MightyMax.

    He's much the same, not moving around an awful lot, although he does seem to be hopping into his tray to wee. He's eating the majority of his endless supply of herbs and some other bits I'm offering. I'm just hoping he stays the same until we can see Candice tomorrow. He reacts to me going into his room which I'm taking as good.

    I'm ok thank you, hoping for a more positive week next week, haha.

  9. #29
    Wise Old Thumper MightyMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    30,631

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Janey View Post
    Thanks for asking MightyMax.

    He's much the same, not moving around an awful lot, although he does seem to be hopping into his tray to wee. He's eating the majority of his endless supply of herbs and some other bits I'm offering. I'm just hoping he stays the same until we can see Candice tomorrow. He reacts to me going into his room which I'm taking as good.

    I'm ok thank you, hoping for a more positive week next week, haha.

    I really hope you have a more positive week and that Candace offers some suggestions. Yes it's good that he's alert and responds to you!

    Is he able to hop easily into his tray?

  10. #30
    Wise Old Thumper
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    128,956

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Janey View Post
    Thanks for asking MightyMax.

    He's much the same, not moving around an awful lot, although he does seem to be hopping into his tray to wee. He's eating the majority of his endless supply of herbs and some other bits I'm offering. I'm just hoping he stays the same until we can see Candice tomorrow. He reacts to me going into his room which I'm taking as good.

    I'm ok thank you, hoping for a more positive week next week, haha.
    I hope the Vet appointment today goes as well as possible. It might help Peter a bit if you can use a drop sided litter tray so that he does not need to hop so high to get into it. Something like this would suffice

    https://www.octer.co.uk/product/wilko-potting-tray

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •