• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

EC

Thanks Jack-Jane, seems we wrote at the same time. I'll see what he's like when I get home in a minute, (currently sitting in Sainsbury's car park), I'm hoping he's still munching but I did wonder how long the steroid would last. I'm going to clean his tray when I get home so he'll have to move around a bit, I'll try & assess how he is. Can tracking occur with an inner-ear infection or is that more of an EC symptom? I would assume both.

Is it 'just' his head that is swaying (tracking) or are his eyeballs flicking too (nystagmus) ? If there is nystagmus then what type can give an idea as to whether the primary problem is EC or if it is Otitis media/interna. See 'Clinical Signs' on this link :

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/HeadTiltVestibularRabbit.htm

Yes, Guy did lots for my old bun Poppy, she had horrendous teeth issues and he did regular dentals for her & saved her life on many occasions, before I found him I was considering PTS as she was so miserable.

He's not even on the website anymore so has clearly moved on, it's both the current partners who dealt with Peter before but neither are in until Monday, I've booked an appointment first thing then, I don't want to drag him all that way to get a vet who knows nothing about him & says the same as the local vet did yesterday.

Got him dill, coriander, a banana (special treat-I'll try anything if he stops eating again) & a couple of Ella's kitchen sachets, just heading home now & will see how he's doing, I'm hoping he's eaten what I've left him but am assuming if the steroid is wearing off he may not be so hungry.

So lucky really because I was meant to go out straight from work yesterday but decided I couldn't be bothered which is most unlike me, I probably wouldn't have got home until late & would have been drinking so getting to the vets would have been a real challenge....thank god I changed my mind.

Hasn't been a good week, my Dad broke his leg too....let's hope this doesn't come in threes! Maybe I should wrap the cat in cotton wool!

I'm really sorry to hear about your Dad. It really hasn't been a good week for you all.

Just looked and you're right, Guy's not there now. I hope you've confidence in the others - I have met Candice in the past :)

It's funny how fate works out, and brought you home to see him instead of going out. Peter must have a hotline to you!

You seem to have stocked up on the goodies. I hope he appreciates what you're doing for him, bless x

Thanks Jane for the links. I've tried to tell and I can't really tell if his eyes are flickering, they are moving slightly but I'm not sure if that's just as a result of the head moving rather than them moving independently. I took a video then remembered I no longer have photobucket.

He can move around although his hop is rather weak, again, this could just be because of the disorientation I assume.

MightyMax it's been a bit of a challenge but so is life, it could be a lot worse so I can't complain. He is appreciating the goodies, consumed a bunch of dill and coriander and some baby food, I've just provided more of each. I tried a bit of the baby food.....it's delicious.

Candice is amazing as is Andrea who actually did Peter's ops, they helped me immensely financially as well because my insurance was maxed out, so it's not purely money making. Saying that it still cost me hundreds.....the joys of rabbit ownership :lol: Its a bit of a trek but it could be worse and it just makes me more appreciative of the cats vet around the corner. Annoying when I have to go multiple times in a week though.

Thanks Jane for the links. I've tried to tell and I can't really tell if his eyes are flickering, they are moving slightly but I'm not sure if that's just as a result of the head moving rather than them moving independently. I took a video then remembered I no longer have photobucket.

He can move around although his hop is rather weak, again, this could just be because of the disorientation I assume.

MightyMax it's been a bit of a challenge but so is life, it could be a lot worse so I can't complain. He is appreciating the goodies, consumed a bunch of dill and coriander and some baby food, I've just provided more of each. I tried a bit of the baby food.....it's delicious.

Candice is amazing as is Andrea who actually did Peter's ops, they helped me immensely financially as well because my insurance was maxed out, so it's not purely money making. Saying that it still cost me hundreds.....the joys of rabbit ownership :lol: Its a bit of a trek but it could be worse and it just makes me more appreciative of the cats vet around the corner. Annoying when I have to go multiple times in a week though.

Just wondered whether this from one of my earlier links might help:

The inner ear controls balance and hearing. Disease can enter this area through the same three pathways as in the middle ear. Signs of disease of the inner ear include deafness, HEAD TILT, LOSS OF BALANCE and horizontal or rotary nystagmus (eye "flipping" or "rolling") which is spontaneous and unrelated to the position of the head. Proprioception (the ability of the rabbit to sense where the feet and legs are) and postural reactions (the ability of the rabbit to try to return to a normal standing position) are normal.

A couple of videos here - bit distressing to watch - but basically it's so hard to tell what's going on, and what the cause of it all might be.

Side to side nystagmus due to ear infection:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ou_5Hm8ebmE

Nystagmus due to E.C.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeUAfV1xrSw

Also, in this explanation, you can see that the eye can move in many different directions due to ear infection:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zF4DubfHMCI

Any type of vestibular problem can certainly cause marked disorientation. I am so glad that you have a great deal of confidence in your Vet. I know how important that can be when dealing with a very poorly Rabbit. As you say, not all Vets are just 'in it for the money'. Although with some of the Vet bashing that can occur on here it may seem that many people think that they are !!

I hope that Peter remains as upbeat as possible and that he will continue to eat for himself xx

Candice is amazing as is Andrea who actually did Peter's ops, they helped me immensely financially as well because my insurance was maxed out, so it's not purely money making. Saying that it still cost me hundreds.....the joys of rabbit ownership :lol: Its a bit of a trek but it could be worse and it just makes me more appreciative of the cats vet around the corner. Annoying when I have to go multiple times in a week though

I've cared for a few rolling foster rabbits, and it's really difficult to judge in the early days how things are going to pan out. He sounds like he's eating and enjoying his life, so you don't have imminent decision-making!

I am so glad you've endorsed Candice and Andrea. Those were my thoughts too :)

It's good to know that there is more than one place for a superb vet service, even if it's a little way away.

Thanks for asking MightyMax.

He's much the same, not moving around an awful lot, although he does seem to be hopping into his tray to wee. He's eating the majority of his endless supply of herbs and some other bits I'm offering. I'm just hoping he stays the same until we can see Candice tomorrow. He reacts to me going into his room which I'm taking as good.

I'm ok thank you, hoping for a more positive week next week, haha.

He's much the same, not moving around an awful lot, although he does seem to be hopping into his tray to wee. He's eating the majority of his endless supply of herbs and some other bits I'm offering. I'm just hoping he stays the same until we can see Candice tomorrow. He reacts to me going into his room which I'm taking as good.

I really hope you have a more positive week and that Candace offers some suggestions. Yes it's good that he's alert and responds to you!

Is he able to hop easily into his tray?

I hope the Vet appointment today goes as well as possible. It might help Peter a bit if you can use a drop sided litter tray so that he does not need to hop so high to get into it. Something like this would suffice

https://www.octer.co.uk/product/wilko-potting-tray

I really hope you have a more positive week and that Candace offers some suggestions. Yes it's good that he's alert and responds to you!

Is he able to hop easily into his tray?

Good luck for today Janey :)

The reason I mentioned about the littler tray was that I gave my little one a potting tray to use as she could easily get in and out. This may not be a problem for Peter, and they can be a bit messier to contend with if you don't need it!

It's this sort of thing:

http://stewart-garden.co.uk/products/black/64-5cm/potting-tray/

The other alternative thing I've used is a low fronted plastic dog tray.

Please let me know how you get on x

Thanks both & for the ideas around the tray. His tray is actually quite shallow so I don't think he's struggling, I will keep an eye out though.

Was driving to Watford and I got a call to say Candice is sick (the bad luck continues), thankfully Andrea is in so I've seen him.

He said it's hard to tell what it is but given his history he thinks we should treat for both EC and the ear infection. He's not scanning this morning which he was Sat which he says is a good sign, however, I would say he is a bit more tilted but then again, being in the car probably hasn't helped that.

Next challenge is that all of the stock of antibiotics has been dispensed over the weekend, so now we're trying to see if my local branch has any and if not, get them to order some in. Never straight forward.

Thank you for all your support, it's so helpful at times of stress like this when you can feel in all decisions you are making you are completely alone, it's so good to have other people's expertise & insight.

Thanks both & for the ideas around the tray. His tray is actually quite shallow so I don't think he's struggling, I will keep an eye out though.

Was driving to Watford and I got a call to say Candice is sick (the bad luck continues), thankfully Andrea is in so I've seen him.

He said it's hard to tell what it is but given his history he thinks we should treat for both EC and the ear infection. He's not scanning this morning which he was Sat which he says is a good sign, however, I would say he is a bit more tilted but then again, being in the car probably hasn't helped that.

Next challenge is that all of the stock of antibiotics has been dispensed over the weekend, so now we're trying to see if my local branch has any and if not, get them to order some in. Never straight forward.

Thank you for all your support, it's so helpful at times of stress like this when you can feel in all decisions you are making you are completely alone, it's so good to have other people's expertise & insight.

Hi Janey

I do agree with Andrea about treating for both, and that it's hard to pinpoint exactly what's happening. I am trying to remain positive despite the news of Candice, and think that there is some reason for you seeing Andrea instead.

Stunned a bit by the lack of antibiotics :shock: Can't they get them sent over from another Medivet Practice? What antibiotics does he want to put Peter on?

Yes, I didn't really mind seeing Andrea, as long as it was one of them I was happy, Andrea actually did the ops previously so it was probably better in hindsight. Thank goodness he was in because I was already on the M25 when I got the call.

Yes, I think he was a bit embarasssed, he hadn't been in over the weekend and I think he said somebody had dispensed a whole bottle to someone and seemingly not re-ordered. My local branch didn't have it in but will get it for tomorrow, it seems that they don't keep it as standard as when picking up from either of my more local branches I always have to order. I'm not sure what it is but I want to say depocillin? A quite thick white substance that I inject.

As my Mum just text me 'and so it goes on-if only they could talk', never ending this rabbit care malarkey, the trial & error and the guessing games, not to mention the expense. He's lucky he's such a gorgeous boy.

Bit concerned that the rolling seems worse today, need to get out of work & home to him.

Yes, I didn't really mind seeing Andrea, as long as it was one of them I was happy, Andrea actually did the ops previously so it was probably better in hindsight. Thank goodness he was in because I was already on the M25 when I got the call.

Yes, I think he was a bit embarasssed, he hadn't been in over the weekend and I think he said somebody had dispensed a whole bottle to someone and seemingly not re-ordered. My local branch didn't have it in but will get it for tomorrow, it seems that they don't keep it as standard as when picking up from either of my more local branches I always have to order. I'm not sure what it is but I want to say depocillin? A quite thick white substance that I inject.

As my Mum just text me 'and so it goes on-if only they could talk', never ending this rabbit care malarkey, the trial & error and the guessing games, not to mention the expense. He's lucky he's such a gorgeous boy.

Bit concerned that the rolling seems worse today, need to get out of work & home to him.

It probably is Depocillin. Unfortunately the rolling can get worse, but equally it can eventually resolve. It is likely to be exacerbated by any handling/stress. So devising a way to medicate him without having to pick him up would be useful x

Hi Janey

Is your Mum with him at the moment (whilst you're at work?)

Yes it probably is depocillin, and to be honest, it's a good drug to be on for loads of conditions, so I'm pretty relieved for you both :)

I'm glad you are getting some tomorrow.

Sorry about his rolling - are you able to inject him on the floor? I did this with one of mine, and it was so much better as he didn't go toppling over when I put him down again!

It probably is Depocillin. Unfortunately the rolling can get worse, but equally it can eventually resolve. It is likely to be exacerbated by any handling/stress. So devising a way to medicate him without having to pick him up would be useful x

Thanks Jane, I thought stress may make it worse.

Fortunately he's quite a laid back little fellow so I'm hoping the medication won't distress him too much. I've just been popping him on the bed in his room for the panacur but to be honest, he tries to get away which makes him roll and must be more distressing, I'm going to do it on the kitchen worktop this eve as I normally administer meds, it just seems quicker and he stays more still because he has nowhere to 'run' to which makes the whole process smoother.

Just going to pop to get him some more herbs from the shop over the road and then home to him. He's actually eaten 2 bunches of parsley, a bunch of coriander and one of dill since Fri evening (amongst other bits and bobs), so not too bad considering everything.

Fortunately he's quite a laid back little fellow so I'm hoping the medication won't distress him too much. I've just been popping him on the bed in his room for the panacur but to be honest, he tries to get away which makes him roll and must be more distressing, I'm going to do it on the kitchen worktop this eve as I normally administer meds, it just seems quicker and he stays more still because he has nowhere to 'run' to which makes the whole process smoother.

Just going to pop to get him some more herbs from the shop over the road and then home to him. He's actually eaten 2 bunches of parsley, a bunch of coriander and one of dill since Fri evening (amongst other bits and bobs), so not too bad considering everything.

I'm pleased he still has his appetite :)

I am sure that you will find the best way to go about medicating him, what works best for him. There is no 'right' or 'wrong' way. It sounds as though he's enjoying the herbs xx

Hope you can cope with it OK - if there's anything I can do just let me know. I don't live a million miles away and I know what it's like x

Back