• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny behaviour

Colesy

New Kit
I've just bought two mini lop lion head rabbits, both females and have noticed one is becoming more dominant than the other - the one nuzzles and grooms the other, takes her food but is way more inquizative too. Any ideas how I can bring the other one out of her shell please? Thanks! Sharon

I've just bought two mini lop lion head rabbits, both females and have noticed one is becoming more dominant than the other - the one nuzzles and grooms the other, takes her food but is way more inquizative too. Any ideas how I can bring the other one out of her shell please? Thanks! Sharon

Hi Sharon and welcome to the Forum :wave:

Two female rabbits will probably be the most tricky of bonds on the whole. One will be dominant, and that's good, because if they were both vying for dominance then there would be fights breaking out!

Sit down and let the rabbits explore around you. Just let them come to you and see their personalities. Talk with them but don't necessarily expect anything of them n return. Rabbits have to be met on their own terms!

Regarding your two females, as they become sexually mature you'll have to watch for one dominating the other and make sure they get along well together. Females can get aggressive and territorial, especially before they are spayed, which is why a male/female bond is the most popular and easy :)

Good luck to you! :D

Hi :)

How old are they both please & can we see pictures? :)

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Thank you. As soon as they are old enough I will get them spayed. I guess I worry the one isn't getting food as the other one eats her own and then nudges the other out the way, even taking food from her mouth whilst she's eating! Right little madam ha ha!

They are 13 weeks old but I can't attach photos as I don't have permission? ����

They are 13 weeks old but I can't attach photos as I don't have permission? [emoji30][emoji30]
Start keeping a close eye for hormonal behaviour as I've known it to begin showing around this age.
(I've had one spayed at 14 weeks, the other spayed at 16 weeks).

If they do begin getting overly dominant and begin to fight I'd suggest separating them with a mesh wall or similar so they can still see & smell each other, they can't just hurt each other.

It doesn't normally get to this point but something to keep in mind.

In terms of food, you can always hand feed them pellets to ensure they're getting equal share of those. Give extra boxes of different hay types so they can always get access to hay. You can also hide veg within trays of hay so it gives them a more equal opportunity to get food.

In terms of behaviour, I often find with a F/F pair that one female is more reserved. Time will be your best option here as they're settling in and the new surrounding may be making the more quiet one a bit more reserved than normal.

In terms of pictures I think there may be a time to wait until you can share them - not 100% sure. Sorry :(

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back